Tips for Ranger Insane

Every Colonist has heard the tales of The Pit. Some say it doesn't exist. Some say it does. All agree only a fool would go looking for it.

Moderator: Erinys

Svankensen

Tips for Ranger Insane

Post by Svankensen » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Hello guys, the clever ones among you will have guessed that im looking for tips on the Ranger on Insane difficulty. The title could also be read as "here are some tips for playing the Ranger in insane". That may be true, but i havent been making much headway. Its pretty nasty to face Heavy Security bots on floor 8 with the starting gear (it basically requires you to burn all your instant healing or a LOT of food or both). I know they can be avoided in theory, but thats not always the case if you wake them early in the level, and anyway, they are just an example of the early nastiness, there are many others. So i startscum (to floor 3 or so). Basically, if i've got nothing of note by floor 3 I will reset or play with reckless ambition, that is, meleeing everything armorless until i die or find something good.

"Something good" usually translates to:
Lockpicks
Crowbar
Hiver multitool
Nanoreconstructors
Good ingredient
Purifier
EZ cooker
Decent weapon or almost any armor

My skill points will go to:

Empathy until psi drain (seems like a dream at this difficulty, but worked great in Hard)
Resistance until Psi Armor
Blade/Lockpick/Foraging/Decipher/Other
Mechanical (as soon as it hits 45)

The rest of the game you kinda know about. Being cheap enough to get a net possitive, while also having a minute buffer to survive a mark 3 security bot going around the corner in the worst possible momment (Seriously, those @&/# are everywhere at this difficulty).

I'm also minding my door etiquette a lot more. I mean, I DO have a tail, but leaving doors open behind you is just rude (and dangerous, you heard about those bots). Food is luckily plentifull, since its moonbear season, so i can afford to rest a lot, and i have a hiver exosuit so armor is holding.

Just so that the uninitiated can picture the level of the onslaught you face, i have a photoxos (godsend, you really need efficient high-pen weapons), the goop pistol, a target pistol, a darter, a blade (regular old blade) plus a bunch of varied tools at floor 9. And yet i kept feeling i am being unlucky.

So, any Tips? Or just gnash my teeth and hope i get lucky enough to weather 31 more floors of nastyness?

(Blue room is not an option)

skugge

Re: Tips for Ranger Insane

Post by skugge » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:57 pm

I believe in you :mg:

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:38 am

ThePit-20160829-221336-735.jpg

You see how the game taunts me. So far so good. On floor 12 i gave in to desperation. Inventory flooding with junk, weapons and armor on the verge of destruction, and 5 rolls of ductape i was unwilling to use. I was reduced to use the radblaster a few times cause it was my strongest weapon besides the advanced assault rifle with its precious ammo. Welp. I decided to yolo the mutagens and biomods.Could have gone better, but it could have been much worse too. Nothing big on the mutagens, luckily. Lost 3 might and 1 brains, and 15 psi points i may miss in the future. The biomods were mostly neutral. That is, if you ignore both the armor one and the first weapon one were durability hits. Too bad. It did force me to reconsider the virtues of duct tape on my armor and target pistol. Good news, when everything was looking grim, I got a smart laser carbine and a scattergun. Im glad i never doubted those flechettes when needing to lighten my inventory. A bit of backtracking is in order to get those energy backpacks i left behind. Food is still strong, bar is full, but im out of cooked meals. I need a lab badly. I should be able to craft an R&G special, 2 spore daggers and an adrenal implant. Even if i fail, the space will be welcome.

Floor 12, peace out.

Ran head first into a large protean. Note to safe, backtracking isnt completely safe if you dont look at what you are doing. Armor and photoxos gone. Found a bromadai tho. Run seems possible, provided I get some armor.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Damn, backtracking without a scan helmet is always a little scary! Unless I get a good shotgun or liquidator I usually leave as many large proteans as possible and it's easy to forget where you left them. Sometimes I lead them over into a corner I will never return to and then ditch them. Sometimes they just stay there forever since creatures stop moving when you're far enough away.

Insane Ranger was definitely my closest victory so far. I think I was down to my last energy backpack with food supplies only enough for a couple rest cycles.

With her how hit points getting decent armor is super important, and it's not something you have much control over. Even though she doesn't have many skill points and her psi regen is awful, I go Empathy and Telekenesis all the way. Shrap Storm will allow you to freeze mechs for 4(?) turns and glamor makes dropping into the next floor much less scary since you get 10 turns of no living creatures attacking you. They are the best 2 skills by a pretty wide margin in my opinon. Because her regen is so bad, you have to do a lot of draining to be able to cast often. One trick is to leave creatures that don't leave their room alive and just stop by to drain them every now and then. Even if they get a shot off it can be worth it if it saves you from 16 shots from a heavy mech, haha.

I usually put my other points into mechanical (45+ as you said), and then sprinkle the last one around for the other skills.

Those psi skills won't happen for a while though, so you have to get past those wandering mechs. Luckily if you survive for a few levels they will tend to get replaced with Heavy Mech II's that won't leave their room. I try to save as many grenades since you can throw around a corner without them being able to shoot you. If you're lucky enough to find emp grenades I use them pretty much exclusively as a heavy mk I killer. Also, if you find a shotgun you can shoot around corners as well.

Good Luck!

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. This girl died a while ago now, but thanks for the tips, its the push i need for going at it again. I dont recall too well how she died, it had something to do with prioritizing killing a crazed tarka in a room with loot. Was probably a gas grenade or something of the sort, since i recall her being decently equipped. I do recall failing the crating roll for 2 energy backpacks one after another too, but still, i had a bromadai, so damage output shouldnt have been a really big deal.

Im really hesitant to spend those points in telekinesis. Its such a long term investment. I would be using manipulation and nothing else from that school until i get either psi drain or shrapnel storm. At least fear comes early ennough to be a usefull intermediate tool. Still, worth a try, shrapnel storm is amazing indeed. Then again, if you are investing so much in a school to handle mechs, you may go mecha empathy instead. It is more expensive, but sabotage kills everything around skill 90. Thoughts?

Also, i'd love to know: Were you particularly lucky in your winning run, or was it just a solid one? Do you level much more on insane rounds? Otherwise reaching glamor/one hit KO sabotage seems hard.

nicholizard

Post by nicholizard » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:05 pm

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation :-)

I think you get less xp per creature on higher difficulties, so in the end you don't level up much more. So yeah, you won't get those until later on. It's just personal preference on my part, but I'd rather lose a run early than late since each one is so long in this game.

I looove sabotage! It's too bad that it has such a long recharge. I sometimes go for it on classes that have more skill points, but the rest of that tree is pretty much garbage. Shutdown is super expensive and gets resisted all the time by difficult mechs. If I wasn't going to get TK then I would definitely get mecha empathy so that I would have some way of dealing with robots. I don't think I ever skip manipulation though.

My winning run wasn't crazy, just solid. I actually had much luckier runs that I ended up losing because of stupid play. Did you end up starting a new run? What other classes have you played?

Return to “The Pit General Discussion”