The Suul'ka

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

winginson

Re: The Suul'ka

Post by winginson » Mon May 18, 2009 7:19 am

Hm... what is this supposed to mean, psi have a very limited range, so you basicaly have to be at least in the same solar system for even the most godlike psionic creatures currently known in the verse (Liir elders, Zuul) to detect anything at all. And theese met them first-hand anyway.

Considering the Zuul were created by the Suul'ka, I would of thought they would of been even more psionically powerful than the Zuul. And more powerful than the Liir too. Otherwise they would of been mindraped by their own weapon or 'suggested' not to go to Muur.

I sure somewhere it was confirmed that nodespace has something to do with psi. Maybe the Suul'ka could use it to their advantage?
You may kick people when they are down,
But I am the one who broke their legs!

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 am

winginson wrote:I would of thought they would of been even more psionically powerful than the Zuul. And more powerful than the Liir too.
Psionic strength is very different among SotS races.

Morrigi have strengths of glamour and psi resistance.
Zuul have powerful coercion and inquisition.
Liir have tk, empathy and broad spectrum of mind tricks.

So, what would be that Screamer strength?

SpardaSon21

Post by SpardaSon21 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:24 pm

The Suul'ka are skilled in mind-raping, much like the Zuul. Except even more evil and even more powerful.

blackswimmer989

Post by blackswimmer989 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:07 pm

SpardaSon21 wrote:I don't know. The Emperor of Emperors dies, there is no heir, a bunch of males decide they could be it, and it escalates/deteriorates from small assassinations into ground battles into fleet battles into full-fledged interstellar civil war like the Hivers do over who gets to be Queen.

Gets me to thinking... what if the fall of the Tarks and their genetic weeding out of psionics are from the same cause. Suppose the big grand Tark dies, and sneeky infighting Crocs have access to psionics. what they find out is EVERYONE is ploting to take the crown. knowing that others are out to get you is different then thinking they may be.

The entire race ends up getting caught up in premptive strikes agenst anyone else that wants the power they want, and with psionics that turns out to be everyone. In the ashes of the Great Trrk civil wars they realize that psionics = bad for a race as inclined to backstabbing as they are and cull those that are left to make sure this ability dosent ever surface again.

Maybe I've just had too much caffine, but couldent paranioa + psionics lead to something really bad when you find out the paranoia is all justified and you know that everyone wants you dead and the only way to survive is kill off everyone else? Ehh I'm prolly just rambeling, you should smack mewhat I get like this :lol:

That Schmuck

Post by That Schmuck » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 am

Eleahen wrote:So, what would be that Screamer strength?

Sensory overload, hence "screamers."

Also, necro-post or too recent?

Stryder

Post by Stryder » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:01 am

winginson wrote:
Hm... what is this supposed to mean, psi have a very limited range, so you basicaly have to be at least in the same solar system for even the most godlike psionic creatures currently known in the verse (Liir elders, Zuul) to detect anything at all. And theese met them first-hand anyway.

Considering the Zuul were created by the Suul'ka, I would of thought they would of been even more psionically powerful than the Zuul. And more powerful than the Liir too. Otherwise they would of been mindraped by their own weapon or 'suggested' not to go to Muur.

I sure somewhere it was confirmed that nodespace has something to do with psi. Maybe the Suul'ka could use it to their advantage?

We aren't as always more powerful then the weapons we develop, we RL people aren't more powerful then a nuclear bomb particularly not in the blowing up department, besides they may have other methods of controlling the Zuul like programming them Genetically to Worship them as gods, or maybe they have technology that exploit's other vulnerablities, maybe a tech that exploits there psionically aware state, though even if they did have those mechanisms when the Great Masters roamed the galaxy the Zuul may have grown a bit out of there control because of how powerful they have grown in there Master's absense.

Master

Post by Master » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:44 pm

I believe Arinn once said that the immune system of a Zuul is basically made from a lot of "hunter-cells" that eat everything foreign. She also said that if someone could turn these cells against the Zuuls own body they would have a very effective weapon against the Zuul.
Of course this someone would need to understand the Zuul biology very, very good.
"The next best thing to have after a reliable ally is a predictable enemy"

manu

Post by manu » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:43 pm

Stryder wrote:
winginson wrote:

We aren't as always more powerful then the weapons we develop, we RL people aren't more powerful then a nuclear bomb particularly not in the blowing up department, besides they may have other methods of controlling the Zuul like programming them Genetically to Worship them as gods, or maybe they have technology that exploit's other vulnerablities, maybe a tech that exploits there psionically aware state, though even if they did have those mechanisms when the Great Masters roamed the galaxy the Zuul may have grown a bit out of there control because of how powerful they have grown in there Master's absense.

From what I've read in the forum about the Zuul, their current psychic abailites have grown totally out of their design specifications. They were designed as a self-destructing bioweapon, not a spacefaring race.

The Su'ulka included the mind-probing and domination abilities of the Zuul to help them overcoming high-tech opponents.

The prolonged exposure to the psionicaly active Morrigis on the source point of the current infestation apprently triggered these unexpected changes. The Lliir's biological strike is the most logical explanation as to why the Su'ulka didn't clean up their now completely out-of-spec creation

fiendishrabbit

Post by fiendishrabbit » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:34 pm

manu wrote:From what I've read in the forum about the Zuul, their current psychic abailites have grown totally out of their design specifications. They were designed as a self-destructing bioweapon, not a spacefaring race.

The Su'ulka included the mind-probing and domination abilities of the Zuul to help them overcoming high-tech opponents.

Who says the Zuuls mental abilities weren't a specifically introduced measure of control as well?
The Morrigi call them screamers, which might just be a psychic scream meant to incapacitate species sensitive to such things, which would include the zuul.
Scream until the male zuul is a gurgling package of pain, and then take mental control of his hands. This while a zuul male would telepathically strong enough to prevent other races with telepathic abilities, but without such a psychic overload weapon, from doing the same thing.

Hence, a weapon with powerful psychic offense. Powerful muscle to go with it that's protected from psychic control. Yet a weapon that can easily be directed by someone who does have a psychic overload weapon.
You can't trust the Liir. Never trust someone that smiles all the time.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:45 am

the zuul were always psionic...their basic pack unit and behaviour is NOT artificial.

manu

Post by manu » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:19 am

what I mean by 'growing out of specification' is that they had those abilities in their original design, but the power level of these abilities has probably grown way beyond expectations.

Sort of like finding your self-replicating, chemical-explosive weapons turned into nukes from a glitch in replication.

Adamfostas

Post by Adamfostas » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:15 pm

All I really want the Suul'ka to be is some kind of Lovecraftian unknowable beasts from beyond space itself. I want combat with them to involve questioning the very foundations of our reality. I want to see my ships fighting in non-Euclidean space. I want war with the Suul'ka to be comparable to a tick trying to convince an elephant of its existence. I want all of this represented on a 16" TFT monitor.

I want, I want, I want.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:19 pm

weeeeellllll maybe not all that...but they will certainly be funky :P

Stryder

Post by Stryder » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:48 pm

I think when Suul'ka are playable, I think they should start out as early as they can to be buddy buddy with the Zuul but I also think they should inevitably backstab them before the end of the game.

Adamfostas

Post by Adamfostas » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:50 pm

Mecron wrote:weeeeellllll maybe not all that...but they will certainly be funky :P

In that case, I look forward with great anticipation to an evil Master Race of Space Travoltas.

Return to “Fiction”