An Introduction, say hello to the "New Guy"!

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Bazeltine

An Introduction, say hello to the "New Guy"!

Post by Bazeltine » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:13 am

First of all, I'd like to take the time to thank whomever took the time to read this message. It would mean a great deal to me if you took the time to also read my sample short stories set in the Sots universe, just to see if I have the capacity, creativity, and style to even consider writing as a career.

I'll admit, this is a first step for me in this direction. I haven't taken any writing classes, or taken a serious effort to write until now. What I lack in experience writing, I feel I make up for in my extensive passion and background in reading. Specifically SF/Fantasy books. My decision to see if I can actually do this was mainly influenced by an Afterward in my most recent read "Galactic North" by Alastair Reynolds. In it he talks about how he began his writing career (and the similarities Mr. Reynolds share for taste in Authors), his passion for and views on "future histories", the authors who influenced him and why, his early works and stories, and his confession that he's based some of his works off other authors ideas. Basically, as long as you have your own style, and passion for writing, it's OK to twist some ideas around into stories set in an Author's "Universe", or your own "Universe". It still needs to be well written, and gripping from the first few pages.

For now I plan on fleshing out a few frameworks before I actually write.. Just to help me stay on track when I do go to write.

I'm using a mind-mapping program called Freemind (URL below) to facilitate my brainstorming process, just to ensure that when I do write, I do so without contradicting myself, and to keep my story development consistent.
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/in ... /Main_Page

Hello to you all, may this be the start of many good things to come!

U.E.D.C.

Re: An Introduction, say hello to the "New Guy"!

Post by U.E.D.C. » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:24 am

Welcome to the boards :thumbsup:
This is as good a place as any to spread your wings in writing. The majority of the folks here keep things civil and are quick to provide helpful insight. Trust me, you get kinda spoiled here when you have to go back and face the rest of the web :roll:
Always feel free to ask a question.
And make sure to proof read before you post, my own work is full of errors that break the story, but would have been simple fixes :(
Mecron wrote:"Hah! We rule the earth!!! Space is stupid anyway!"

Return to “Fiction”