New race suggestions

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Brogatar

Re: New race suggestions

Post by Brogatar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:03 pm

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Brogatar wrote:ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

amtie

Post by amtie » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:20 pm

The spot for Chtutlhu (or whatever) is still open, thanks to the Suul'ka surprise.

Also, is a mechanical race at all possible?

Brogatar

Post by Brogatar » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:34 pm

Torezu wrote:
Brogatar wrote:ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:bangdesk:

nickersonm

Post by nickersonm » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:55 pm

amtie wrote:The spot for Chtutlhu (or whatever) is still open, thanks to the Suul'ka surprise.

I think the Cthulhu spot is nicely filled by the Suul'ka. A sort of modern-day reimagining of it with current knowledge of space plus a heavy splash of SF. They even refer to themselves as the Great Old Ones in the intro video ;).

AlanF5

Post by AlanF5 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:06 pm

A mechanical race is totally possible. It's already there. AI rebellion.
Download my zombie outbreak mini-sim: unfortunately, it's not Fort Zombie.

Winner of the "Guess what the zerker discs are an homage to?" race. (The Mandarin's ten rings)

Torezu

Post by Torezu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:27 pm

AlanF5 wrote:A mechanical race is totally possible. It's already there. AI rebellion.

I think he was talking about a playable mechanical/cybernetic race, probably something like the Cynoids/Meklar from MoO 2 and 3.

siracer

Post by siracer » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 pm

I would find it interesting if they had a race of intellectual space owls with a smoother less fierce appearance when compared to the morrigi
or maybe Space Penguins with a "black and white"-ish paint job with a more bulked stile compared to the morrigi

Space Hamsters would be lovly though and they could be another race brand new to the space game

i had so many ideas but they vanished :shock:
The Empers of AaronTopia
SirAaron, SirAce, SirVelrin, SirCral, SirMerkin, SirDragonov, SirReign, SirRain, MissTerrus, SirZerke, MissHevam, SirNov, MissVorte, SirArmad, SirGorex, MissDalna, SirAcer
"Any man can defeat a god. Any man can become a god. Why you do either is what you will be remembered for."

vaccum_pony

Post by vaccum_pony » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:41 am

It might be entertaining to try to come up with an Earthian animal that hasn't been used as the basis for an alien race.

My first thought was pigs, but then I remembered (as much as I wish I could forget) 'Speaker for the Dead'. I don't recall how pig-like the Piggies were, but they probably qualify. So what about Earth pigs (Aardvarks)? Giraffes?
- - - -

Shed not a tear for humanity, go fetch my stars.

Vaccum Pony

amtie

Post by amtie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:19 pm

Jellyfish. Anglers?

Blackwarder

Post by Blackwarder » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Space-Oysters! They eat humans as an aphrodisiac.

Warder

siracer

Post by siracer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:23 pm

space bats would be interesting or space crabs
space jelly would make a silly grand menace for funzeez
The Empers of AaronTopia
SirAaron, SirAce, SirVelrin, SirCral, SirMerkin, SirDragonov, SirReign, SirRain, MissTerrus, SirZerke, MissHevam, SirNov, MissVorte, SirArmad, SirGorex, MissDalna, SirAcer
"Any man can defeat a god. Any man can become a god. Why you do either is what you will be remembered for."

nighthaunt

Post by nighthaunt » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:12 pm

I think Kerberos have done brilliantly to avoid the cliche races - if your doing a mechanical race Kerberos would want to make it completely different to all the other mechanical races found in space stratergy games - I don't doubt they could do it, but it would be difficult.

I suspect the new races, if coming in the expansion, will be hinted at heavily in SOTS ][ random encounters - we saw the Zuul (Slavers) and the Morrigi in the original SOTS prime, and the Sul-Ka from the bits of helmet left lying around. We should have more of an idea once we get our grubby little mits on the game :twisted:
The collected forum saying of the Prophet - the Mecronomicon

Allattar wrote:The princes grow worried and the princesses stir with irritation. They feel you either lack gravitas or are just plain insane. Might we suggest you stop before they rebel?

Remnant

Post by Remnant » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:44 pm

I think this thread is getting kinda pointless...
- the majority of comments is just "space-(insert earth animal)!", and very little elaboration around that

Besides, I doubt Kerberos really need suggestions for new races (as in, ideas they haven't considered before), since most of the devs are seasoned scifi-veterans who have read novels and stories most of us ordinary forumites have never even heard of :)

And if people are genuinely eager to create their own race in the sots-verse, there was a couple of strictly non-canon Fan-race-creation threads a while back in the mod-forums which you could consider reviving;
The First one (finished & contains a lot of rpg-stories)
The second one (currently discontinued due to lack of interest)

Oh, and I share nighthaunt's sentiment; Kerberos has done brilliantly in taking the motif/aesthetic of cliche scifi races and turning them into very non-cliche pieces of work
"When the going gets tough - the tough hide under the table"

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science"

zanzibar196
Note: Not A Moderator

Post by zanzibar196 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Blackwarder wrote:From the same interview we know that Martin is against space-squids :(

That is very disappointing since we know cephalopods have arms and the ability to make tools and use them! Studies indicate that if octopi lived longer than 3 - 5 years... they might actually be smarter than us! So... if super intelligent telekinetic dolphins can do it... why not space octopi? Plus you get tie ins to lovecraft and a bunch of other goodies that Ms. Dembo just loves... Plus, it's very rarely been done in the past in sci-fi... no clue why Martin would be against the idea, to be honest...

Return to “Fiction”