On Land-Based Warfare and the Races

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

On Land-Based Warfare and the Races

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:47 am

FOREWARD:

For over three thousand years of Human history, (not to mention Tarkan or Hiver) Land has been both the vector and the objective for all forms of warfare. For slightly less of a time the Sea has been just as important, but it was never the main objective. Air power was first displayed less than five hundred years ago; and as for space? But a single century has passed since that fateful day, when only the legacy of millenia of ground warfare saved the Human race from anihilation.

In the past hundred years since that tragedy which engulfed not only the entire Human race but two others as well in a war of intersteller preportions, combat has been conducted primarily in space, with orbital bombardment being the primary means of dealing with enemy ground troops. But with enough time bunkers can be dug so deep that in order to remove them from orbit would require destructive power on a scale that would boil away seas and atmoshpere, destroying the very prize an invader would come to sieze.

It is for this reason, and others still classified, that I and the other members of my department have come to the conclusion that ground warfare will begin to play a more active role in warfare within the next fifty years. We have precious little data on how these wars might be fought, for as anyone with modern military education will tell you, ground forces are currently utilized almost exclusivly for mop-up operations and peacekeeping on settled worlds.

However, it has come to my attention that many of the people involved in SolForce operations, even the Naval Office Corps, are somewhat lacking in education as far as ground combat is concerned; wanting for even the most basic understanding that the 'dog-faced soldiers' and 'poor, bloody infantry' on the front lines possess.

Therefore, I have written this manual for general consumption of all citizens, that they might begin to underderstand how much more there is to a land war than the ocasional old-fasioned 'Rambo' they see in the movies.

As a final caveat, I would like to point out that much of what I have written here is completely theoretical and even incorrect. Not only might that data we have now be incorrect, but things can change so rapidly that what is true today is false tommorow -Or even in an hour from now. That was why my department was created, to predict the possibilities and build backup and contingency plans for them; although those are of course classified, so I cannot share them.

--Colonel N. Augustus Tatticky III, Department of Strategic Foresight, SolForce.
Last edited by COL Tatticky on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adeptus Astronomica assesment: Psyker, Grade Beta
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

The Fundementals of Ground Combat

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:47 am

*reserved*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

The Hivers

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:48 am

*reserved*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

The Tarkas

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:48 am

*reserved*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

The Liir

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:49 am

*reserved*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

The Zuul

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:49 am

*reserved*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

The Morrigi

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:50 am

*reserved*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Afterwards, in metaversal tone:

Post by COL Tatticky » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:50 am

So, I decided that as what's probably the only old fashioned hex-and-counter wargamer on all the forums, (although I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong!) that I should share some of my thoughts on what personal combat might be 'realistically' in the SotSverse. I have no idea how many of you will get what I'm trying to say, or even believe what I'm saying; so, this is mainly just something I'm writing because I feel like it.

Of course, I'll be making a lot of assumptions and jumping to even more conclusions, so if I get something wrong please point it out.

Also, keep in mind that I'm doing this solely for personal pleasure, and might not even get around to ever finishing it... It depends on whether or not SotS ][ releases first. ;)
Last edited by COL Tatticky on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: On Land-Based Warfare and the Races

Post by Erinys » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:15 am

Relocated this to the forum for Fan Fiction.

Colonel, one lucky guess is just that--one lucky guess. You are not the only one who earned the Cassandra label, but you are the only one who has used it as a launchpad for his ego.

I have tried to drop you the hint more than once, but now I'll make it explicit: you are just one poster among many. You are not a developer of this game or this franchise. Other people are more than welcome to say "I don't think" to any idea or speculation you post, and you will not post entire threads of your own game designs or fiction to an inappropriate forum again.

Don't make me pull this thread over again, please.

--The Management
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Gambit

Post by Gambit » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:37 pm

What is the "Cassandra" label?
"Don't argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level - then beat you by experience." -Anonymous

marshb

Post by marshb » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Gambit wrote:What is the "Cassandra" label?

Greek Mythology. Short version: She received the gift of prophecy from Apollo. Didn't return her "favor" so Apollo cursed her by making sure no one would listen to her.

Edit: I think you earn it for anticipating future lore? Possible spoilers before the fact?
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

levi_Will

Post by levi_Will » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Nah, those who figured out the truth about the suul'ka, or a significant portion of it, before Arinn did the reveal.
Mecron wrote:wow levi...you are previewing AND being a sarcasm master at the same time. Double awesome :thumbsup:

COL Tatticky
Cassandra

Post by COL Tatticky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:09 am

Erinys wrote:Relocated this to the forum for Fan Fiction.

Colonel, one lucky guess is just that--one lucky guess. You are not the only one who earned the Cassandra label, but you are the only one who has used it as a launchpad for his ego.

I have tried to drop you the hint more than once, but now I'll make it explicit: you are just one poster among many. You are not a developer of this game or this franchise. Other people are more than welcome to say "I don't think" to any idea or speculation you post, and you will not post entire threads of your own game designs or fiction to an inappropriate forum again.

Don't make me pull this thread over again, please.

--The Management

Oh, I'm sorry; it didn't occur to me to use the Fan Fiction forum for this thread. :oops: I guess I forgot that there's more forums than just the Lore even if I never read them. :?

Also, I'm sorry for being rude with the "I don't think" thing; again I'm forgetting that almost everyone on these forums is both intellegent and mature -not the case on all the other forums I visit... I'll go ahead and edit the offending segment out.

(PS: As you might have noticed, 'dropped hints' tend to fly right over my head. I can only promise that I'll do my best to comply with any instructions you give me explicitly.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5 DE Cobra

Return to “Fiction”