Liir Names

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Lans

Liir Names

Post by Lans » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:52 am

This is primarly for Arinn but if anyone else knows I will gladly take your anwsers too.

I thought of a neat little story I could probably even do it without mention a name but I feel the story just won't work without a name even though I feel it just has to be mentioned once. I am not sure how or what kind of names the Liir use and I was hoping you could help out.

The Writer2
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by The Writer2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:21 am

Liirian names are compinations of sound, thought, and emotion. And example of this, if you haven't already checked the wiki's page on Liirian language, is "Suubu (the feeling you have when the spring sun warms your back under a cool sheath of water)".

Because of their nature, it is difficult to impossible for a Human to fully comprehend a Liirian name.

How you go about describing the Liirian name is up to you, really. As long as it conforms to the general pheonetics associated with Liirian language, I doubt anyone will think that it's "non-Liir"...or something like that. (Egads, it's 1AM :shock: )
Image Image Image

"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." -- Arthur Schopenhauer

"Who are you? What do you want? Why are you here? Where are you going?"

Lans

Post by Lans » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:44 am

I was just thinking of somethign about Liir names, if they are "dead" when they become black swimmers do they lose their names. Would they then have a new one or something until they are no longer black swimmers?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:49 am

No, they retain the old name, although it is likely to have a bittersweet irony. A new name would come if they were ever able to leave the service--such an event is considered rebirth, and would involve a new name to commemorate the occasion, and allow the past to be left behind.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “Fiction”