SotS rpg: scale of playing field

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Seeker86

SotS rpg: scale of playing field

Post by Seeker86 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:49 am

I am designing a SotS rpg for a group of friends around the Traveller system (which seems to make the most sense).

I arrived at a little problem though. Often, SotS background information refers to the 'galaxy', but the local arm alone contains nearly 150.000 stars.

How would you scale this game? I'd rather prefer not using the entire galaxy, to avoid stumbling right into this one: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... nseOfScale
I won't make the rpg quite 'sci-fi hard' enough to calculate node line distances and such, for the record. The game will be set in the year 2438, so right after the Deacon's tale.
Maybe one other question: is there a timeline available somewhere?

Also, has anyone done this before? I did read something about an official rpg, but that's too long a wait for me. My PC is down and I need my fix!

Lots of questions, but if anyone could help me with even one of them, I'd be grateful!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: SotS rpg: scale of playing field

Post by Erinys » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:59 am

Hey Seeker. We are beginning to make some role-playing game projects set in the Sword of the Stars universe, and Mecron and I are both big fans of Traveler. :)

To get a sense of the SotSverse in terms of gaming scale in local space, the best reference point is actually the map called "SotsVerse" in Sword of the Stars 2. Mecron has created that map based on the real positions of local stars surrounding Sol system, and assigned "starting positions" and home systems for all of the currently playable races of the Sword of the Stars universe.

Yes, the source material often refers to "the galaxy", and the scale of "the galaxy" is relevant for the activities of some entities: the System Killer, the Puppet Master, The Peacekeeper, the Locusts and the Von Neumanns are all entities which traverse vast distances over their lifetimes. Some of these things have been around for billions of years, and have never stopped moving during that time. Some of the Suul'ka, although much younger the majority of Elder Race artifacts, are quite spry and have seen much more of the galaxy than most of the playable races in the SotSverse ever will.

In general, though, when the source material uses the word "galaxy", what they mean is "the local portion of the Milky Way galaxy which is relevant to such tiny and short-lived beings as ourselves". I think you can see how the latter doesn't really...roll of the tongue quite so well. ;)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Seeker86

Post by Seeker86 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:48 am

Hi Erinys! Without the expansive background material on the sotsverse you made, making an rpg around it would've been impossible. It's rare for a pc game to have so much background information it starts to live as a setting of its own, thanks so much for that!

Unfortunately, I've held off purchasing SotS 2, so I don't have access to that map (and the post-2438 - I guess - canonical information). I'll gladly sacrifice two months of real life as soon as it's completed. Does it include background info om the period 2438 to whenever SotS II starts? In that case, it might be worth looking into... for the articles. ;)

Regarding galaxy size, I assumed so much. I wonder what else would be lurking out there in the dark. Even the Morrigi can't have seen it all. I'd also imagine going out of the Orion Arm would involve certain restrictions for most races (because of the distance between stars increasing), except for the exceptionally patient ones.

Thanks for your reply!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:10 pm

You can find quite a lot of the information from the SotSPedia in Sword of the Stars 2 in the Lore forum of SotS 2, and on the SotS 2 Wiki. Not all of it, of course, because my art is my livelihood.

Dates are included, and the Wiki volunteers have attempted to re-create the time-line that exists in my notebooks based on the conversion of dates in the game documentation. For example, I believe they have figured out how to convert Tarka, Hiver and Morrigi star dates into Human ones and vice versa.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Seeker86

Post by Seeker86 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:50 am

I perused the SotS2 wiki, but didn't manage to find this resource, google helped. Thanks!

Of course, I intend to buy SotS ][ as soon as it's ready. :)

I think I now have a pretty good idea about the setting, thank you for that. I could also easily take a Traveller campaign into the sots2 era; the joys of suspended animation! The only thing left to do is adapt the Traveller system to the setting.

If you're wondering, the player characters are going to be 'uniquely talented' individuals which simply do not function within a conventional military structure (as they're RPG player characters...): it's Black Section for them! On the eve of the Zuul War, that should give them plenty to do.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:49 pm

you are in luck...sots2 is ready ;)

Seeker86

Post by Seeker86 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:10 am

My timing is.. better than usual.

I immediately bought it. No, literally, immediately. ;)

Return to “Fiction”