Fiction Guidelines

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Mryddlin

Re: Fiction Guidelines

Post by Mryddlin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:37 pm

Many thanks Erinys, I really appricate that.

The story I am working on is set shortly after the Hiver dreadnought leaves the system and follows the exploits of a young naval officer (very much in the style of David Weber space opera).

the first episodes script is almost done (bunch of rewrites to align it with cannon, from the wiki/boards there is a few years between the hiver invasion and getting about out into space, i.e. a few turns have passed to rebuild..love it!)

I have almost all of my space battle shots recorded and am justing figuring out what type of device I will use in the episodes to convey the story, thinking of going with monologues/log entries to advance the story. I should have the first episode out, *hopefully* by the end of august but most likely will be the middle of september.

Can't WAIT for the deacon's tale, I have really enjoyed the story and your writing and I hope you get the green light to continue with more books in the future (hell if MechWarrior can have piles of book, SotS is a much more interesting universe).

Thanks again!

jp161

Post by jp161 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:11 am

Any news on The Deacon's Tale?

And what kind of price-range would it have in Amazon?

Mightypeon

Post by Mightypeon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 pm

I would have some other "Canon questions"

1: Would the real Suulka ever "cooperate" with lesser races? Against intervention from the galactic prime (peacekeeper creators) perhaps?

2: Would it be a huge stretch to make spectres signficantly more aggressive or make them capable of "communicating" via telepathy?

3: Do Spectres have a way of "healing" rifts in nodespace?

4: Lets imagine that some enterprising humans discover a way of "luring" spectres, and use this to lure a bunch of spectres into an "in transit" Zuul Fleet.
Would the Spectres be "sentient" enough to be "pissed off" at the humans?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Mightypeon wrote:I would have some other "Canon questions"

1: Would the real Suulka ever "cooperate" with lesser races? Against intervention from the galactic prime (peacekeeper creators) perhaps?

2: Would it be a huge stretch to make spectres signficantly more aggressive or make them capable of "communicating" via telepathy?

3: Do Spectres have a way of "healing" rifts in nodespace?

4: Lets imagine that some enterprising humans discover a way of "luring" spectres, and use this to lure a bunch of spectres into an "in transit" Zuul Fleet.
Would the Spectres be "sentient" enough to be "pissed off" at the humans?

1. The Suul'ka are sentient, and capable of cooperation. Can't say in advance what would spur them to cooperate, or with whom--theses are open-ended issues in a game that allows open-ended play.

2. The Spectres are already pretty "aggressive". They perceive you, the approach and make contact rather than flee or hold position. It is difficult to say how they communicate, but they certainly seem to have some way of sensing life and they are certainly attracted to it.

3. Spectres certainly may be the agents of "healing" that cause artificial Node points to close over time. However, Spectres can emerge from any Node point, including those which are naturally occurring and large enough for a human ship to use--and also those which are naturally occurring and much too small or complex for a human ship to detect and use.

4. Luring Spectres to a fight in Nodespace is always a risk. Zuul ships in transit have never yet been attacked by Spectres while they are simply in transit, nor have human ships. However, Human-Zuul interception battles do attract their attention and cause them to converge.

Various scientific expeditions have been launched to attempt to study, harness or control the Spectres. No one has survived.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:40 pm

I've been wondering about the spectres... that's actually good insite to think on.

On the note of sentient life forms... Would it also be too much of a stretch with there now being 5 different races that other races emerge even if not space faring? It would be rather interesting to find 'lesser' races that are not of the 5 major races that would accept or resist joining your empire, even if only in the stories written by authors.
It's not that we stood or fell that matters, but that we stood and faced it.

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:44 pm

Erinys wrote:
I'm sure Mecron might have some additional notes himself--he's also a professional SF writer, and is responsible for some of the most dramatic moments that many of you remember from games like Homeworld, Cataclysm and Treasure Planet--because he wrote those scripts. But for now, these are the general rules I think should be followed.

--Arinn

OMG, Mecron wrote the script to Homeworld? That's so cool! I'm playing it for the first time and enjoying the story line to it a lot!

Side note: When are you going to do something with your wordpress page? :lol:

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 am

What tips do the writers here have for getting in and staying in the "writing mood"? I have a horrible tendency to get struck by inspiration at a random moment, hammer out a paragraph or two, and then forget it for a year or longer before adding another paragraph - but being unable to resume writing once my concentration breaks, and I'm usually unable to make anything come out if I try to push myself.
I just might start writing some SotSish fics if things work out, as more practice for when I'm finally confident enough to tackle some original, larger-scale work. (For the moment, I'm trying to get a rhythm down with silly/grimdark fanfics because established characters take less set-up and let me get to the meat-and-potatoes quickly. I know it's horrible.)
(edit: Now that I think about it, I did write one mood-setting ministory here ages ago about an Earth that surrendered to and was assimilated by Hiver rule.)
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:19 am

Waiting for the "inspiration" to write is like waiting for the "inspiration" to exercise. Writing is not a mood, it's a habit and a discipline. The reason a beginner can't write for long is the same reason that most people can't run for long--they aren't in shape.

If you want to be able to write every day, write every day. There is no easier answer, unfortunately. If in the course of writing every day you are able to find some quirky personal trick that makes things easier--like a good location, a good time of day, some good music etc.--by all means keep doing that. But the real key is simply repetition and consistency, starting when things are at their hardest and having it get easier over time.

Like other aspects of your brain and body, your ability to write must be developed by use. :wink:

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

falcongrey

Post by falcongrey » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:27 am

A habitual routine. Kinda like Pringles.... Once you pop, you just can't stop! :mrgreen:

(sorry Arinn, couldn't resist)

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:41 pm

Erinys wrote:Waiting for the "inspiration" to write is like waiting for the "inspiration" to exercise. Writing is not a mood, it's a habit and a discipline. The reason a beginner can't write for long is the same reason that most people can't run for long--they aren't in shape.

If you want to be able to write every day, write every day. There is no easier answer, unfortunately. If in the course of writing every day you are able to find some quirky personal trick that makes things easier--like a good location, a good time of day, some good music etc.--by all means keep doing that. But the real key is simply repetition and consistency, starting when things are at their hardest and having it get easier over time.

Like other aspects of your brain and body, your ability to write must be developed by use. :wink:

--Arinn

I've decided to do NaNoWriMo this year. I'll most likely fail horribly, but at least it's better than not trying! I figure it'll help me out quite a bit even if whatever I end up with bears no resemblance to a novel whatsoever.
Thanks for the encouragement.
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

g33kst4r

Post by g33kst4r » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 am

G33kst4r popped in after not being here for awhile.

I wrote one of the first big fiction works for sword of the stars over four years ago now.

I also still play SOTS MOC when I can usually in the holidays.

Nowdays I am raising a young family and still doing some creative fictional work.

I am hoping to publish the first of 6 novels in about a years time - it is a serious science fiction space opera as in Asimov and Brin et al...

Also it would be nice to catch up again with Erinsys at some stage to natter over a creative things and publications of works etc.

Btw - It was great to see some my concepts make it into the actual product.

Well done to the team at Kerberos on a great product and SOTS 2 is something I look forward to playing later in the year.
Captain of the cloaked Cruiser Damocles
--
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere

Marakis

Post by Marakis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Erinyes, what do you think of Cross Overs? Like, to see what would happen if..a Sol Force Dreadnaught was to duke it out with say, a Star Wars star Destroyer. or something to that effect? Its my simple question is all.

When done right, crossovers can be fascinating, when done wrong....

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:18 am

I enjoy seeing people compare this universe to others, especially its warships and characters, but I wouldn't want to Read fiction about it. :P

--Arinn

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:24 am

Coyote27 wrote:
Erinys wrote:Waiting for the "inspiration" to write is like waiting for the "inspiration" to exercise. Writing is not a mood, it's a habit and a discipline. The reason a beginner can't write for long is the same reason that most people can't run for long--they aren't in shape.

--Arinn

I've decided to do NaNoWriMo this year. I'll most likely fail horribly, but at least it's better than not trying! I figure it'll help me out quite a bit even if whatever I end up with bears no resemblance to a novel whatsoever.
Thanks for the encouragement.

I decided to do NanoWrimo last year for a few reasons, mostly because things were silly busy at work and I needed the distraction. I went over the word limit by quite a bit, too. :)

Now I can't stop. To be fair I was already in the daily routine of writing, but having to lay down 1,667 words (or whatever the number was) a day made it stick.

Alehandr WS

Post by Alehandr WS » Wed May 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Heya,
I got a question about writing. Not really like fiction about SotS (i just can't stand the word "fanfiction" for some reason ><), but more about writing a lore for a universe.

How do you write a lore? Where do you start? What's the priorities when writing the lore?
I just hope this gets noticed ><

Return to “Fiction”