A Doctor's Hypothesis

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

A Doctor's Hypothesis

Post by silvaril » Wed May 03, 2006 7:56 pm

Heya

Written together so as to ensure the format was consistent.

I wanted to get the introductory paragraph in particular as close as possible in each segment.

Originally posted in the Fan Fiction Thread, September 15 2005.
Last edited by silvaril on Thu May 04, 2006 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Part One

Post by silvaril » Wed May 03, 2006 7:57 pm

Doctor Elias Lambert strode through the morgue, moving surely from one body to the next, the stick-like limbs of each corpse providing clues for the experienced professional.
Minutely examining each one for form and thereby derived function, the doctor quickly arrayed the chosen specimens for his presentation.
He was due before the University Council later that week with the results of his study.

Setting the last specimen to it's assigned place for his presentation Elias relaxed back against his chair, a brief moment of whimsy playing across his mind.

Once there had been creatures larger than himself to study, before the over harvesting of natural resources had eliminated them as it had nearly eliminated his own species.
As the infrastructure had broken under the strain of feeding the once billions of humans, those species who had not previously been eliminated became food for the starving horde that engendered the collapse.
Humans had indeed proven the greatest hunters on their planet as evidenced by the survival of only the ubiquitous insects where previously existed a variety of fauna to tempt a zoologist of his time to murderous intent against his own species.

The hard won lessons of population control and resource management gained new meaning recently.
The space scanning technologies developed by scientists from his university had revealed that other potentially life bearing planets existed in nearby solar systems.
It seemed humans would have the chance to prove to themselves that they had matured past the destructive methods of their past.

Elias sighed heavily. It now seemed to him that the lessons of the past and the best efforts of the Ruling Council had failed to eliminate that destructive aspect of his species.
The recent competititiveness amongst his colleagues to gain a place on board humanities most recent accomplishment had very nearly bordered on the ancient 'art' of war as he understood it.
The Ruling Council had certainly seemed to be of the same opinion as it stepped in to prevent the intake of those deemed to have become too competitive.
The careers of many engineers and scientists had been halted as a result.
It was impossible to find fault with the Ruling Council on this matter as no human wished to inflict on another planet the horrors their own had endured.

Elias' thoughts began to turn to those affected whom he personally knew when a strident alarm siren brought him to his feet.
The natural disaster sirens of the civil recovery structure were not used often and were certainly only rarely sounded in the immediate danger pattern now reverbrating through Elias' environs.
A quick glance out the window as Elias moved towards the civil recovery cabinet brought him to a halt as he turned to look again.

Burning debris raining down from orbit.

Disclaimer:

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Part Two

Post by silvaril » Wed May 03, 2006 7:57 pm

Doctor Elias Lambert stumbled through the morgue, moving haphazardly from one body to the next, the stick-like limbs of each corpse suggesting clues for the experienced professional.
Minutely examining each one for form and thereby deriving function, the doctor slowly arrayed the chosen specimens for his presentation.
He was due before the Defense Council later that week with the results of his study.

Finishing with the last specimen Elias placed the crystalline structure removed from it with the previous five already collected before retiring to the adjoining chamber.

Idly he considered the irregularities of the specimens while washing up.

At a mass often exceeding his own, the specimens all resembled very much larger examples of the insects that formed the basis of his university studys.
The point of greatest contention with his fellow scientists was the crystalline structure located alongside what he could only term their brain.

Collapsing to his bed Elias groaned at the thought of his recent folly in wishing for larger creatures to study.

Fleeing the now demolished university on the day the sky rained human debris and insectoid invader, Elias had been subsequently called upon by the Ruling Council for his extensive knowledge of insect life.

It had not taken him long to determine that these were not insects despite their appearance.

By that stage the Ruling Council had been supplanted by the Defense Council.
In the subsequent organisational changes he found himself labelled Alien Expert rather than Entomology Expert.

A subtle flicker brought him out of his reverie.
Elias rolled over carefully while trying to find his communicator.

After several seconds Elias pinpointed the flicker as coming from the pile of crystalline structures that were so wont to erode after the death of their hosts.

Moving carefully from his bed Elias noted nothing particular about the pile except for the uncharacteristic flickering.

Excitement rose within Elias as he moved carefully closer.

Excitement that quickly turned to confusion as he discovered the ant princess dancing on the crystalline structures with an air of not so quiet abandon.

Disclaimer:

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Part Three

Post by silvaril » Wed May 03, 2006 7:58 pm

Doctor Elias Lambert strode through the morgue, moving quickly from one body to the next, the stick-like limbs of each corpse ignored by the experienced professional.
Briefly examining each form and thereby deriving the location of his quarry, the doctor arrayed the chosen specimens for his presentation.
He was due before the Science Council later that week with the results of his study.

Finishing with the last specimen Elias placed the retrieved memory crystal into a storage container which he marked with brief notations as he moved to the lab.
After placing the storage container into a preservation unit and stripping his gloves off Elias moved from the lab to his study.

Life aboard the deep space science vessel Futures Hope was not as much of an adjustment from his previous university routine as Elias had been expecting.

It was a lot more frustrating though.

The constant dissolution of the memory crystals required that the science team be close to the front lines in order to continue their experimentation.
Yet while now able to preserve the memory crystals for days rather than hours, no further progress had been made on extracting data from them.

Elias felt he was slowly coming to an understanding of why that might be.

Measurements of the memory crystals from different hosts showed that they grew as the host matured.
Based on his previous experience with social insects, Elias was certain that basic functions were 'installed' onto the memory crystals during the fertilisation of the eggs by what he could only consider a Queen.

The initial breakthrough on retrieving information from the memory crystals had resulted in a basic understanding of the Hiver language.
It was Elias' belief that basic functions, including a shared language, responded to generic pheromone dosing.

Repeated attempts with different pheromone combinations had resulted in nothing further.

Elias now felt that this was because advanced functions were 'copyrighted' by the Queen and would only respond to her specific pheromone set.

So all he had to do now was be present when they captured the Hiver Queen, and all of the information locked in these memory crystals would be revealed.

Elias shook his head as he contemplated the likelihood of that coming to pass, smiling to shake himself out of the mood his conclusions were drawing him to.

An incessant buzzing drew his attention to an alert on his console.

Seconds after bringing it up Elias was on his feet heading into the morgue with his conclusions forgotten behind him.

Passing the full squad of marines at the door to the morgue, Elias rocked to a halt just inside the door.

"Oh... My..." Elias thought as he stared wide eyed at the large reptilian biped lying dead in it's uniform on his operating table, "the zoologists will be pleased..."

Disclaimer:

Gouka

Post by Gouka » Wed May 03, 2006 9:30 pm

I liked it. The simmilar intro's threw me at first, but then I got it. It's a nice touch. Something about the last few paragraphs in the second segment threw me however. I'm not sure if it was the wording or what, but I had to read them a few times to get it. Maybe it's just because I'm sick.

Anyway, good story.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed May 03, 2006 10:12 pm

An interesting take on the subject of Hiver memory crystals. There would, of course, be many scientists assigned to unraveling the secrets of Hiver anatomy and trying to enlock the methods by which memory could be encoded in a three-dimensional crystalline matrix, and this is a fine extrapolation of the way men and women assigned to loosely related scientific or technical fields can find themselves conscripted during a time of war...

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “Fiction”