Human Contact

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

J-Jammers

Human Contact

Post by J-Jammers » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:50 pm

I'm not much of a writer, but hope this goes well.

========================

It is still very vivid in my mind my son, and I must therefore begin this tale of honor and valor as a tribute to the Humans of Earth. Our people have been at war with the Bugs for as long as my fore fathers could remember. It was this war that had given me my place aboard the destroyer TKS Coragar. She was a beauty to behold with the latest in warp technology, cloaking ability, and long range sensors. As such we were detailed to monitor the Hiver movements along the battle front and report all activity to the high command. After we had detected and reported the appearance of the nesting fleet lead by the biggest dreadnaught we had ever seen, High Command ordered us to follow it. Now I must break here for a second and remind you that the Bugs do not travel at light speeds and must be followed either in subspace or by short hops through warp. It was our captain’s choice to follow in subspace and I have to say that was painful to any Tarka that was used to flying around the galaxy at speeds faster than light. She did not waver in her choice even when we became restless. Having our enemy so close at hand, the ability to see his every move and hide when we wished, had my fellow gunners edging to shoot. It was only through her stern guidance that we stayed the course. We crept along for many weeks and even had to refuel from and old tin can tanker that my fore father must have served on. When it became obvious that the Hiver fleet was headed for the class 10 yellow star we again reported back to command. Their response was short as always, "Observe and report only". The captain decided to warp ahead of the Hiver fleet to find a good place to hole down and wait.

As we approached, the details of the system became clear. Nine planets orbited this star with a healthy asteroid belt between the fourth and fifth planets. It wasn't until we rounded the smaller of the gas planets that our sensors were inundated with electromagnetic waves. These waves were too precise to be anything from space, and therefore were recorded and logged for future study as per the standard operating procedure. This was cause for some concern as though most of the signals received appeared to have pictures and possibly speech, others were definitely high powered detection waves albeit of the primitive variety. As such we placed ourselves in and among the asteroid belt. For two weeks we waited, watched and listened. The probes we sent out to the various corners of the system painted a very gruesome picture. Not only did this system have a habitable planet, but said planet was already inhabited. From the picture waves we found that this race looked like bipedal hairless monkeys, and most of the space around the fourth planet was surrounded in satellites. Our probes reported that though voluminous in nature none of the satellites were of defensive nature and none had the ability to repel the Hiver incursion rolling down upon them. The captain pleaded with the high command for reinforcements in an effort to save these creatures but to no avail. Hivers had hit the front lines hard and high command was pressed for combat ships to repel the assault. Three days later, the Hiver fleet entered the system forcing us into our cloaked seclusion. We watched in horror as the helpless monkeys were slaughtered from space and the one and only starship they had was erased from existence.

For two standard days the Hiver fleet pounded the planet in an effort to cleanse it for nesting. Then when it appeared that the monkeys had nothing left, something interesting happened. Missile launched from the planet, and not just a few. Hundreds of them, thousands of them, streaked towards the Hiver fleet. Why the monkeys had waited so long is still in debate, but the massive launch of missiles overwhelmed the Hiver fleet point defense with what appeared to be old fission and fusion warheads. In the blink of an eye, all the Hiver destroyers were gone, and the dreadnaught reeled like a wounded florack beast. With the loss of its nesting ships, screening destroyers, and the gate ship, the dreadnaught broke orbit, turned around and limped away. A quick call to High Command was answered; another ship was being sent to watch the monkeys, and we were to follow the dreadnaught. Once out of the system the captain, Sardo Kal bless her, ordered us to battle stations. I had wished many times to be one of the missile gunners that day; however my job was the point defense gun in the scanner section. We went to full power and screamed up the wounded dreadnaught like a jomkar going for the kill. The remaining missile batteries on the dreadnaught spewed fire as they launched their brood of missiles. Our own missiles screamed through space tearing at the juggernaut trying to finish what the monkeys had started. Even I was hard pressed to keep the incoming flood of devastation at bay. We prevailed though, but our own injuries were severe. The section that contained the cloaking device was gone and many of my comrades with it. Upon reporting the destruction of the Hiver dreadnaught to the high command, we were ordered to Ke’Raath for repairs.

And that my child is the story of our first contact with the Humans. Now go play, for I fear your time will soon come to take your place where I once stood.
I take these risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping me.

Jandor

Post by Jandor » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:20 pm

Well, I enjoyed it. Interesting POV.
Anyone Fooled?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Very well written, and an interesteing scenario. :)

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “Fiction”