SotS roleplay!!! DOODELY DOO!

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:52 pm

We got a huge fleet on our side :wink:

And the Vindicator..and lots of Wild Weasels to keep those heavy weapons occupied with empty space.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:12 pm

And if the rebels know where your fleet will attack (even if they don't know which of the fleets is the biggest) they will likely have laid out extencive minefields right in and around your nodelines exit points causing the SolForce fleet to exit nodespace in the middle of a minefield, will likely have prepared "improvised missiles" (remote controlled spaceships used for ramming the biggest ships of SolForce navy at relatavistic speeds) or maybe even a kamikaze style freigthers filled with a megaton of AM each (think refinery explotion enlarged by an order of a magnitude) or any of a number of other dirty tricks you can use when you've had time to prepare.

And the rebels did know where you could attack, they knew which systems you where in and which strategicaly valuable targets where connected to them...
And then theres the possibility of hidden allies assisting the rebels. So far the Tarkans haven't taken sides in the human civil war, alternatetly the Liir might support those who try to fight the corrupt SolForce Suul'Ka director. It would be bad for SolForce if either of those factions had a fleet inbound to the systems to aide their new allies...

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:42 pm

I dunno about that. Space is big and the exact side of a nodeline is never determined in canon. Mining it could be highly impractical (you can't do it in the game before the attacker arrives). Mines apparenlty also have some lifetime (since they have some IFF indentifier so they don't blow up friendly ship, and that requires power).
And there is no AM tech availalbe yet in this RP.

Remote-controled missiles sounds plausible. Kinetic-kill ships less so. It's hard to hit a moving target in space.

As for what the rebels know: they know an attack is coming. They don't know exactly when and they don't know the exact size of the forces (because of the last minute changes and re-positionings).

Tarka or Liir joining the fight would surely be interesting.
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:25 pm

If memory serves, long term minefields are impractical in space unless you are happy with the mines being left on an orbit. Maintaining station would demand the ability to apply a thrust, and propulsion systems are incompatible with stealth.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 pm

Let me see if I got this right Halo, the Tarka Separatists want to ally themselves with the rebels.
And they have some new secret weapon? (how many secret weapons are there in circulation anyway?)

the fleet that wants to stage an attack on hiver is a Rebel fleet, no? Since no tarka could mask his ship so that it looks like a human one.

halo07guy

Post by halo07guy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:08 am

The weapon is actually just corrosive missles. I haven't seen them in use yet, hence, new weapon technollogy.

And yes, a rebel fleet does want to attack the Hivers. The idea is that by disguising the ships as SolForce ships, the Hivers will retaliate against SolForce.

In case your wondering, the plague I was talking about was the Beast Bomb. Once again, this tech hasn't thus far been mentioned other then now in the story, and currently is experimental.
Your world can end in the blink of an eye. One event, one unexpected twist of fate... and suddenly the world as you knew... is gone. Forever. All that you held dear, all that you held close... is washed away in a sea of distant memory. Life... is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. But life continues on... with, or without you. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy.

R.I.P. Allison Mohney and Jared May

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:29 am

Don't know how effective that hiver attack would be. The hivers are still within their own civil war and relations with one of the hiver princeses is excellent (allied).
The other hiver princeses hate human guts already and won't deal with rebels, so they'd just come in and kill everyone (assuming they have forces to spare to come in and kill)

halo07guy

Post by halo07guy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:11 am

It may not be the friendly Princess that their attacking. It was just another of the countless Hiver factions. Being a mining and agricultural world, you wouldn't really expect it to be all that heavily defended. But nonetheless, it is the complete genocide of an entire planet. I think the Hivers will notice.
Your world can end in the blink of an eye. One event, one unexpected twist of fate... and suddenly the world as you knew... is gone. Forever. All that you held dear, all that you held close... is washed away in a sea of distant memory. Life... is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. But life continues on... with, or without you. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:57 pm

OK, we need some clarity into this.

So I'm making a little image.

This will show the positions of the forces. and Halo, I want you to declare what forces you have PERIOD. No pulling extra cloaked fleets out of your ass unless you haven't mentioned them before.
Given you haven't specified your fleet makeup and positions before this started (I should have asked for it) I'll overlook it. But I want you to tell me know what you have and where it is.

So yellow spheres are nodes (the two main ones used for the attack). Grey is the asteroid field.
Dark blue is the Vindicator and the main driving force.
A bit lighter blue are the flanks (long-range bombardments ships - barrages, missiles, torps)
The lightest blue is the shield force (Deflectors, PD, WW's, Deep Scans)

The two green ones are the forces from Galileo (lower one is cloaked force, as mentioned earlier)

halo07guy

Post by halo07guy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:41 pm

I thought I mentioned this in a post of mine a few pages ago, when the rebels took the system. Some of them were sent to defend the node, tthe others became the primary defense fleet. I'm not pulling them from anywhere. I think its on page 13 or 14.

Anyway, there is my Ghost Fleet, which is the fleet of stealthed ships hiding in the asteroid field, including my ship. The node defense fleet was the fleet of 150 ships that attacked after the initial SolForce exit. The Primary Defense Fleet is composed of all the rest of the ships in the rebel forces in the sector. The Ghost Fleet consists of 100 cruisers and 200 destroyers, all equipped with stealth armor. The Node Defense fleet consisted of 50 cruisers and 100 destroyers. The Primary Defense Fleet consists of 350 cruisers and 700 destroyers. That fleet is whats moving towards SolForces primary fleet, and would be roughly in-between the green circle and red arrow. Does that clear things up?

All the ships are of various make, though.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:58 pm

Again with the 1000+ ship numbers..in a single group no less :roll:
Entire armadas during the fights with the hivers didn't have that many ships

*sigh*

Oh well. Doesn't matter now. Let's jsut continue.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:14 pm

Oh, now you ARE overdoing it.
Monitoring the course of all missiles doing a firefight between fleets with 1000+ ships from inside a asteroid field???
You do realise missiles have guidance and wiggle around, so it's practicely impossible to tell what their target is until they're almost on top of you. You got a fleet hiding within that asteroid field, how do you tell after which ship (or rock) it's going?

And 40 seconds? Geez, why not an hour or two..take your time. :roll:

halo07guy

Post by halo07guy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:49 pm

The way you wrote it, it sounded like you were having missles launched right then and there. The reason its 40 seconds is because of the fact that your fleet just exited photonic torp range (Without spotter ships.). I'm going off that. And not exactly monitoring the battle as a whole, more precisely anything that has to do with fleet inside the field, or any unusual happenings. It'd be impossible for any one ship to single out all the missles inside the battle, but it stands to reason that any missles that aren't headed into the brawl are probably headed somewhere else. Those are the missles that would be monitored. Kind of like nobody would pay attention to a dogfight during a battle, but if one of those fighters breaks off for no apparent reason, then that fighter would be noted. A better example would be during a air show, and an aircraft breaks formation when its no supposed to.

And its easy to tell which rock a missle is headed towards, simply because the rocks aren't moving relative to the battle, so the missles would be moving in a straight line towards them. Trace the straight line to the target. And if a missle was targeting a ship, the missle would change course. No course changes means their targeting something stationary. If rocks are the only stationary object in the field.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:37 am

Your ships are in the asteroid field. The missiles could very well be heading for them.
Like I said, the initial trajectory of a missile rarely points directly at a target.
And if the asteroids don't move, then your ships won't move either if they want to remain in their shadow - and since they will be very close to the asteroids in question I doubt you can say "oh snap, they are trying to blow up the asteroid" as soon as those missiles are launched.

A computer has to track a missile for a while before it can even begin to calculate it's trajectory..and those things have to be displayed, the operator has to observe it, process it himself, inform the captain, etc.. etc.. By the time the whole fleet gets the order to turn back the targeting AI on the missiles should be there already.

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:59 am

Auugh! I'm sorry Athlon but the silliness of having an efficient special secret maneuver that is only taught to few made me cringe away from my monitor. Anything that let a fleet perform well against 4-1 odds would be taught widely in the navy. Why would the instructors rob such a tool from their future officers?

If it is because it is something that is difficult to master, then an untrained force is unlikely to be able to pull it off.

Return to “Fiction”