Gliese 581c

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Gakl

Gliese 581c

Post by Gakl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:41 pm

So who wants to speculate (fictitionally) about what lies in wait for us at Gliese 581 C...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6589157.stm

The BBC wrote:The planet orbits the faint star Gliese 581, which is 20.5 light-years away in the constellation Libra.

The BBC wrote:"We have estimated that the mean temperature of this 'super-Earth' lies between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius, and water would thus be liquid," explained Stephane Udry of the Geneva Observatory, lead author of the scientific paper reporting the result.

The BBC wrote:"Moreover, its radius should be only 1.5 times the Earth's radius, and models predict that the planet should be either rocky - like our Earth - or covered with oceans."

The BBC wrote:The exoplanet - as astronomers call planets around a star other than the Sun - is the smallest yet found, and completes a full orbit of its parent star in just 13 days.

EXOPLANET GLIESE 581 C

Mass: Five times Earth's mass
Orbit: 13 days
Temperature: 0C - 40C
Distance: 20.5 light years
Constellation: Libra

Indeed, it is 14 times closer to its star than the Earth is to our Sun.

However, given that the host star is smaller and colder than the Sun - and thus less luminous - the planet nevertheless lies in the "habitable zone", the region around a star where water could be liquid.

I already have my theories...and it has Liir written all over them...maybe when I'm less tired I will consider writing something about it...
Last edited by Gakl on Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:43 pm

It is clearly occupied by Liir who have researched Gravitatio..nat..io..nali..stic adaption. :)

Vulture12

Post by Vulture12 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:23 pm

Hmm...1.5 times the size of Earth, but 5 times the mass. That's a lot of heavy metals. Probably the "rocky" description. Sounds like a perfect hiver world : P
Poena est moleste
Morte est incommoditas

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:07 pm

Except hivers prefer a thin atmosphere. High mass is conductive to thick atmospheres as the air would weigh more for the same volume it would have on earth.

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:22 pm

Liir should have no issues with gravity, actually, as they're suspended in water which is close to their own density. They'd be practically immune to high gravity, but on the other hand they'd need enough minimum gravity to coalesce a thick atmosphere so they can breathe and the water won't boil away.

If our first contact is with a race like the Liir, we should have a brighter outlook.

My thought is maybe these guys live there, hmm?
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Yes, I was thinking about writing about such a contact, but I doubt it would be quite as serendipitous as you posit, Mutt. =)

Not sure about the link stuff though. I dig the hip-hop sound track though. Sounds like whoever created that listens to expansions and street sounds on KEXP. Can't figure out who it is, sounds a bit like Kool Keith. And if hypothetical aliens were visiting earth, I doubt they'd be so clumsy as to actually allow their entrances and exits to be remotely detectable... Presumably, if you can travel across light years, in reality, rearranging your genome so as not to stand out in any way would be childs play.

On planet I'm going to brain-spew here....
w/ regard to high gravity, etc. A planet so dense would likely have a very flat surface. Few mountains. Volcanism would likely be supressed due to the 2.2 or so Gs. Thick crust, but relatively high internal heat, very, rapidly spinning, metallic inner core, hot large outer core, very large mantle. Strong magnetic fields, thick dense atmosphere (not quite like venus, but pretty dense), transitioning into planet wide oceans (fewer mountains...heavy gravity...). Liir's natural boyancy would make them well suited to high gravity. Might as well be no gravity.
I imagine this would make liir ideal starship pilots...good trade goods for other races...we'll give you this technology if you can provide us with x # of pilots for X # of years...

I wonder if this planet would be tidally locked though. They didn't mention much about that in the article. Seems like if you were orbiting at such a fast clip, you'd be close enough to be tidal locked. This would make for...interesting...weather systems (though underwater species would have little problem with this). Also, it's interesting that the world orbits a red dwarf, not only would it have a unique color in the atmosphere, but life could exist for many many billions of years...in theory--much more than here. Primary limitation would be internal planet radiation.
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Sevain wrote:It is clearly occupied by Liir who have researched Gravitatio..nat..io..nali..stic adaption. :)

Uhh? *scratches head* Wtf does that mean? :lol:
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:29 am

Gakl wrote:Not sure about the link stuff though. I dig the hip-hop sound track though. Sounds like whoever created that listens to expansions and street sounds on KEXP. Can't figure out who it is, sounds a bit like Kool Keith.

http://www.cultdeadcow.com/bovinedawn/viewtopic.php?t=1337&start=1
"In the absence of any orders, go find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:23 pm

Gakl wrote:Uhh? *scratches head* Wtf does that mean? :lol:

The thing that is found in the end of the atmospheric adaption tree.

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue May 22, 2007 3:20 am

Coyote27 wrote:If our first contact is with a race like the Liir, we should have a brighter outlook.

Everyone assumes that space-dolphins are going to be bright, cheery, people. What if they're bloodthirsty enslaving meanies?

Athlon27

Post by Athlon27 » Tue May 22, 2007 3:24 am

Sounds interesting but i heard that there was a possibility for life on that planet too on Daily planet. :) :) We may not be alone any more. MUhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahhahahahahahaahhaahhahahhahahaahahahahahhahhhaahahahhaahhahaha

Mysterius

Post by Mysterius » Wed May 23, 2007 4:53 am

Ace wrote:
Coyote27 wrote:If our first contact is with a race like the Liir, we should have a brighter outlook.

Everyone assumes that space-dolphins are going to be bright, cheery, people. What if they're bloodthirsty enslaving meanies?

Sure, and the Zuul turn out to be misunderstood teddy bears, too...

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Wed May 23, 2007 7:36 am

Marine 1: "Aww look, isn't he just adorable?"
Marine 2: *staring blankly ahead* "Must...Kill..."

Athlon27

Post by Athlon27 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:33 pm

"Mulitple Fractures. What are those things."

"Bugs!!!"Yelled a marine. they where on Gliese 158 C when they lost contact with the marines... What are we Dealing with here.

But their remains were found. Spread out 15yards squared, with a dead bug near by.
I don't accept Cowardice, for its why strong men die as the weak hide.

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:04 pm

Vulture12 wrote:Hmm...1.5 times the size of Earth, but 5 times the mass. That's a lot of heavy metals. Probably the "rocky" description. Sounds like a perfect hiver world : P

That the exo planet is significantly more massive, yet doesn't have that much larger of a radius makes perfect sense and does not necessarily indicate a significant presence of more heavy elements.

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 • π • r³

Consider this:
Earth's radius is 3963 mi.
Gliese 581's rad is 5945 mi

Earth's volume 260579713159.44 cubic miles
Gliese Volume 879456531913.11 cubic miles
Gliese's volume is 3.375 x Earth's.

This is much closer to that 5x mass, but not quite. Now consider that with all that mass, everything closer to the center is going to be compressed much more. This is going to increase the density at the center of the world massively which will likely account for nearly all of the difference in mass vs size.

Still, it is typical that a larger world, having greater mass, will be able to pull together more heavy elements, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will be more extractable in anyway, as the elements would likely exist mostly in the core (which is the same as with the earth).

Now: Why it will be a better planet for Liir:
Higher mass = Higher gravity.
Higher gravity means that the surface of the planet is FAR less likely to have a great variation in height. Mountains and valleys are typically flatter with more mass. Compare, for example, Mars vs. Earth with respect to Olympus Mons and Everest (or Mona Kea).

Less surface variation means that liquid H20 is going to be spread more equitably about the planet, and less likely that there will even be a solid surface at all. Obviously, h20 is less dense than rock, so it will rise to the top. If h20 is present, the surface would have a higher probability of being uniformly liquid. Oh, and did I mention that water dwellers would not feel the pain of higher gravity due to effects of buoyancy?

Now, this doesn't necessarily mean it'll be close for us hairless apes. For all we know we may have to make 30 node jumps to get there, making it such that STL is faster. =)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Return to “Fiction”