Drives and Time-- Question for Erinys

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Gakl

Drives and Time-- Question for Erinys

Post by Gakl » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:19 pm

So, all drives take some quanta of time for transit to take place. My question: Is there a difference with different drive methods (besides hiver/STL -- Instantaneous for gates/time dialation w/ higher STL speeds) for those travelling and the rest of the universe?

ie. Since node transitions take time, do we assume that the travellers within the node experience the same time as those outside? Or is there a quantitative (or perhaps even qualitative) difference?

I would Tarkas and Liir w/ warp and Flicker drive respectively would experience time parity with the rest of the universe as they travel.
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:42 pm

Assume that transit times and passage times for both shipboard crew and the universe are in parity for both fictional and gameplay purposes in SotS. All the playable factions in SotS relate to the universe in a linear fashion, where time coordinates are concerned, and they have developed FTL travel systems which play to their need to remain within that linear relationship.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Gakl

Post by Gakl » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 pm

Erinys wrote:Assume that transit times and passage times for both shipboard crew and the universe are in parity for both fictional and gameplay purposes in SotS. All the playable factions in SotS relate to the universe in a linear fashion, where time coordinates are concerned, and they have developed FTL travel systems which play to their need to remain within that linear relationship.

--Arinn

Even w/ respect to Hivers and time dialation from being stuck at very high STL speeds? Even if the ships only made it to .5C this would still result in a significant apparent reduction in trip time for the travellers. A hiver prince commanding a fleet may experience 5 years of travel while 20 years have passed elsewhere.

Also since, even at the fastest FTL rates, long trips would have to take multiple years (when scaled next to STL travel rates of Hivers), would it be assumed that parts of the crew are unconscious for the trip to avoid years of boredom?

If so, which races use these techs predominantly? (I would assume that Tarkas, humans, bugs, and Liir would sleep through the trips in that order (cycling skeleton crew to make sure everything stays working). I assume humans and tarka are the most impatient of the first 4 races, although I would imagine humans would be among the most experimental and least inhibited to modifying themslves by linking their brains into computers and some such (though such technologies aren't really handled by the game story or play-wise).

Anyhow...Just looking for more meat for canon.
-Do you ever feel a strong need to press F9 to end your turn?
Sounds of my current project: http://soundcloud.com/leopardmerkin/sets/basement/
Black Science -- http://www.myspace.com/blacksciencemusic
An Echo Through The Eyes of Forever (2012)
Cosmodemonic & Beyond (2010)
A New Mastery of Light (2008)
-- Download here --
Image Image Image

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:09 am

Gakl wrote:Anyhow...Just looking for more meat for canon.

Understandable. Some issues are better to nail down in canon than others, however. Precise mathematics and physics are not what the game is about, and invoking time differential and relativistic effects is simply not appropriate in this setting. For purposes of fiction, all events in the SotS universe are fueled by the Story-Drive, the Gameplay-Drive, or a combination of the two. And of the two, the Gameplay Drive takes precedence. ;)

If you are imagining long journeys for crews who face no chance of interception or opposition along the way, you may safely assume a process called "Deep Transit", with most of the crew placed in a deep coma with metabolic rates down to minimum. For fictional purposes, however, always assume that even a ship in Deep Transit must always have at least a few crew members who are on Watch--regular sleep cycles, regular eating, regular duty keeping an eye on the ship, its systems, its communications equipment, etc.. Whether the crew handles this duty in shifts or assigns it to specific personnel depends on the circumstances.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

Return to “Fiction”