Third Contact

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Caldias

Third Contact

Post by Caldias » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:30 pm

I decided to try my hand at writing in this universe. Hope you guys like it.

It was dark when he opened his eyes, dark and damp. The only thing he could smell was the sea, strong and pungent. He felt an overwhelming sickness wash over him. He dropped to all fours and retched, though nothing came up. The ground was made up of sand, he could feel it. Where am I? he thought to himself.

A place where we might converse safely, a voice answered him.

He stood up immediately and looked around. It was a reflexive action, and he stopped himself as soon as he realized his surroundings remained hidden. I’m blind, he thought with sadness.

Blind? What is this? He felt a tickle in the back of his head, as if someone took a small feather to the inside of his skull. It was not unpleasant, which unnerved him. Ah, the voice inside his head sighed. A myriad of harmonized voices ululated behind the speaker, singing in choirs using non-existent words and strange sounds. He felt tears creep into his eyes and bent his head to hide his weakness.

Do not hide your sadness; it is a feeling as beautiful and vital as any other. That statement helped him transform his sadness into something he could use: rage. Enough! Show yourself!

The world has not turned fully to face the bright yet. This is the cause of your temporary blindness. Tell me, what do your children call you?

He sat down. “I never married,â€

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:36 pm

Not bad. I liked it, I actually cared about what happened to Drake, and the story moved well. Kind of sad that things won't go well between humans and liir, but that's SotS I guess. :) Only thing that seemed off was the alzheimers crack, that's out of line even for a command officer.

Nice work though, short and sweet.
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Day
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by Day » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:59 pm

No kidding. This is a good one. Is WWIII canon in SotS? I can't keep it all straight.

->Day<-

Caldias

Post by Caldias » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:12 pm

I thought they mentioned a grand war leading to the massive dissarmement of Earth, but I could be wrong, I will double check when I get a chance. Glad you guys liked it.

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:21 pm

well even if earth did massively reduce its nuclear arsenal, it apparently had enough left over to deal with the bugs.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Tssha

Post by Tssha » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:41 pm

I don't think it's the "nuclear exchange" WWIII. I think it's the "environmental catastrophe, fight over the remaining resources" WWIII. That's if I recall correctly, anyway.
"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." -Terry Pratchett

Nehby

Post by Nehby » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:45 pm

There was a large war before the hiver attack, I believe the wiki states about 70% of the human race was killed and most other animal life made extinct. Also it took a day and a half for the nukes to be preped for use against the hivers, so you can see that although Earth hadn't disarmed itself it was atleast not ready to shoot nukes at a moment's notice.

I liked the story, especially the unique way you envisioned a human would be captured, help, and interregated at the hands of the telepathic Liir. Also like how the Liir's love of their Elders is noted in this story.

hargert

Post by hargert » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:18 pm

No 70% were killed during the hiver attack.

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:03 pm

ok, i'm bored. I'm going to the wiki to read up on the human history leading up until the first hiver attack.

edit: Human History

"The impoverished fringe population rapidly grew despite the pressures of starvation, disease and environmental toxins on their proliferation, until they outnumbered the so-called elite of the "developed world" by a factor of ten. The resulting planetary wars and limited nuclear exchanges were even more gruesome and destructive than the effects of overpopulation and careless industrialization had been; a sizable percentage of the homeworld's native species were lost as well as roughly 70% of the Human population."

"Only the legacy of Humankind's suicidal past eventually saved their home world from complete destruction. After nearly 36 hours of struggle, the curators of the planet's former ICBM arsenal finally managed to reactivate their remaining stock of ancient missiles which had been stored for decommission in the silos of the North American and Asian continents. A total of 3,000 fission and fusion bombs were launched at the descending Hiver fleet, destroying its full complement of Destroyers and causing serious damage to its Dreadnought."

(It looks like Earth got hit by an large scale environmental emergency, nuclear war, and an alien invasion. That's gotta hurt.)
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

hargert

Post by hargert » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:22 pm

Ooops, guess I read that wrong, my bad sorry about that. Well heck if we killed off 70% and the hivers only killed a portion of what was left I dont see why we are so pissed about it. They were trying to do the universe by wiping us out before we struck again.

Return to “Fiction”