Fiction Request/info request

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

sorain

Fiction Request/info request

Post by sorain » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:18 am

I cant help but wonder about 2 things.

First, how did the militarys production staffs react to the idea of Dreadnought class ships? were talking some seriusly HUGE ships here, for the setting, so i cant help but wonder if it was some crazy designer who first came up with the idea...

Second, I would apprecate info on the War section's design process. Unless of course it will be covered by a work in progress or upcoming planned work. The idea of desprate mesures in ship design tickles my mind. :) was it the humans who first made the design? Liir? (lord knows it dosent deract much fro their ships durablity) Tarka? Hiver? (toughist war sections)
The brain gets its power from performing many parallel operations, a computer from performing operations very quickly.

patton1942

Post by patton1942 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:06 am

It was my understanding that each race struggles on how to deal w/ the Zuul's overwhelming firepower by developing the war section independently of other concerns or races.
Mecron on Rebellions: "hell no, we won't go!" becomes "Holy crap! We don't wanna glow!"
Here be pirates

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:07 am

Reactions to dreadnoughts was one of thrilled excitement by civilians and recruiters...and...well...dread by experienced spacers. In continuity, Dreads first appeared in the fusion era. Basically they were seen as a kludgy solution to massed firepower. Grossly expensive, underpowered in terms of engines and plagued by breakdowns, the first generations of dread crew were known as deadheads...a terran term of unknown origin, or blueboys given the very common practise of dread captains cutting life support to large sections of the ship to shunt more power to thrust. As Dreads come into their own in the AM era, they became more of the elite arm of the Solforce we know "today".

The prototype war sections were designed for cruisers and first developed by a joint tarka/solforce thinktank dedicated with finding solutions to the Zuul menace.

the_ubernoob
Zuul Survivor
Zuul Survivor

Post by the_ubernoob » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:27 am

Mecron wrote: The prototype war sections were designed for cruisers and first developed by a joint tarka/solforce thinktank dedicated with finding solutions to the Zuul menace.

I'm assuming the Liir developed their war sections independently. Seeing as how their Cruiser war section is the only war section that abandons medium turrets for small turrets.
"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout."
-parody of the litany of command

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:21 pm

the_ubernoob wrote:I'm assuming the Liir developed their war sections independently. Seeing as how their Cruiser war section is the only war section that abandons medium turrets for small turrets.

In Continuity terms, Liir and Hiver operatives were instrumental in the acquisition of crucial War Section and Zuul language data. Liir and Hiver scientists developed their own War sections independently, but they were given access to design data developed by the joint Human-Tarka team, codenamed Sabaoth.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:24 am

Guys and girls, I love the explanation. It's much better than mine, drafted for the Exeter 774 universe, I came up with the thought...

"Oooooh big gun!" *looks at Heavy Mass Driver*
"Yeah, it's kinda neat."
"It seems to look a bit silly on this here Cruiser."
"Hmmm... Okay lets build a bigger ship..."

:wink:

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Siege Driver Cannon ftw!

Post by silvaril » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:36 am

Heya

DervMan wrote:Guys and girls, I love the explanation. It's much better than mine, drafted for the Exeter 774 universe, I came up with the thought...

"Oooooh big gun!" *looks at Heavy Mass Driver*
"Yeah, it's kinda neat."
"It seems to look a bit silly on this here Cruiser."
"Hmmm... Okay lets build a bigger ship..."

:wink:

Which of course lead to an even bigger Gun...

"OK, I can see the ship, where's the gun?... oh... Ni..iice..." :D
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:00 am

That's the spirit!

Unfortunately, my Tarka don't have access to the biggest fun, sorry gun, in the game... they build a whole freakin' ship around it! :wink:

How did they come up with that idea..?

"Interesting." Captain Mecron mused, studying the holographic image of the battlefield, "the Tarka colony is heavily defended. It will take the fleet many days to penetrate those defences."

"Sir, we will be spending most of our time evading asteroids." Officer Erinys reported. "This dump is littered with them!"

"As you were Erinys." The Captain muttered. "But, tell me." He asked, zooming in on one of the larger pieces of rock. "What could that do to it?"

"I'm sorry sir, I don't know what you mean?" Erinys replied.

"Does anybody have any cream to go with my pie?" Ensign Dervy said. The Captain glared at the junior crew member.

"The asteroid. What sort of damage would it do to the colony?"

And you get the idea...

Return to “Fiction”