Fiction Enjoyment Chronology

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

medcatt

Fiction Enjoyment Chronology

Post by medcatt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:23 am

Up until recently I've been woefully unaware of the wondrous world that SotS Fictions are creating. Yes a long time ago when I was still evaluating the game I've read Erinys's background profiles of each races (and was quite enthralled by their sheer uniqueness), also later I dimly remembered browsing the Incident at Ko'Grappa piece, but it was only up till recently that I've discovered the goldmine that was on SomethingAwful, and having just finished it, am thirsty for more SotS Lore goodness.

Knowing that there are scores of SotS fictions in here, ranging from those from Erinys herself, to fanfics, to T.A.R.s, I feel the need to identify the proper reading order so that spoilers can be avoided as well as ensuring I'm not missing any needed prequel story before starting on a new one.

So I would like to implore to those of you who've gone thru lots of the fictions to advice on what should be read first and what should come after what. You don't have to quote all of em fics if you don't want to; snippets of "X before Y" would do fine, and I'll mantain an up-to-date compiled list here on first post for the benefit of those coming after my footsteps...

--------------------

Update: the wiki already listed a few finished fanfics. My compilation below thus consist those that are yet to be wikified.

Unwikified Finished Fanfics (as of April 20th 2008)

1) We have to glass the planet in order to save the planet
2) End of Flesh: Swarm Vs. Shodan!
3) Battle Field Promotions: Scars of War
4) Hiverspace (prequel: SFS Exeter 774)
Last edited by medcatt on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your karma ran over my dogma.

Silveressa

Post by Silveressa » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:41 am

Just for Clarity (since the prologue is about to bumped down to page 2) and Ease of reference here's the reading order of my ongoing series Battle Field Promotions: Scars of War

It's time line is set sometime around the first encounter with the Tarkas and doesn't contain any concrete references as far as world setting dates or events so can be read independently of the regular time line chronology without causing confusion.

Prologue

http://www.kerberos-productions.com/for ... 4c74b9d237

Chapter 1: The Blood of Stars

Chapter 2 part 1: Cerulean Dawn

Lead by example or get out of the way.

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:48 am

Wow; that's an epic task! Good luck!

I've only published two of the Hamilton series so far, these being SFS Exeter 774 and Hiverspace. Part three is being proof read as we speak, part four is still being written.

My first TAR was Dervy's Tarka. Then I mooched about with Omega Squadron, Dervy's Humans. I'm currently in the process of posting up To Crawl To The Stars.

One of the reasons why I am posting To Crawl To The Stars in a PDF format is because of how enormous Dervy's Tarka became. I think the thread is over something like 24 pages now! :oops: With a PDF, the idea is that readers can download and read offline at their leisure and the story is a little easier to follow.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

No biggy to copy etc... Lord knows I've helped Grad's... ;)

Post by silvaril » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:15 am

Heya

I sorted through various things on the Wiki leading up to the Collector's Edition.

http://sots.rorschach.net/Category:Fiction

I know Arinn would prefer stories to be published here first and foremost for good reasons.

However, if ( as with some TARs for instance ;) ) the individual threads get too long ( or buried ) for some folks, copying the fiction to the Wiki is always an option.

As before, if you need a hand, or would just like me to do it for you, all ya have to do is holla. :)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:45 am

As before, if you need a hand, or would just like me to do it for you, all ya have to do is holla.

*waves flag*

I don't know what exactly I manage to do here, but the last time I looked at the Wiki with a view to posting Hiverspace I couldn't even find the sign in bit, let alone the rest of it...

It was much to Charlie's amusement, but I gave up. Am I missing a simple trick, but the "log in" bit wasn't showing in my browser. Would you be able to help, please?

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Or just let me know you'd rather I did it... ;)

Post by silvaril » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:37 am

Heya

I have noticed in Firefox that the login prompt hides behind the SotS logo in the top left sometimes... :)

However, if all else fails, use the "Special pages" link under the Toolbox listing down the left hand side.

On that page is a "Log in / create account" link :)

http://sots.rorschach.net/Special:Userlogin

Have Fun :D

Disclaimer:

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:51 am

That might be it, thanks! I'll try the next time I'm on the notebook...

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

*GASP* Modesty... ;p

Post by silvaril » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:48 am

Heya

medcatt wrote:1) Incident at Ko'Grappa (couldn't find the link)

Under that Fiction link I posted earlier this thread is a Collector's Edition Novel link which has those "Chapters" numbered according to timeline as presented by Arinn.

http://sots.rorschach.net/Category:Coll ... tion_Novel

'Incident at Ko'Grappa' is the first of those eight "Chapters".

"Chapters" in quotes, as I understand they have been expanded upon in the Novel proper... :D

(Lack of) Modesty suggests that for those folks wanting to arrange their works by Chapter, then the method used for the 8 "Chapters" we have from Arinn is the best method I found for doing it...

Do let me know if you manage to improve on it though... :)

Disclaimer:

medcatt

Post by medcatt » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Ah yes Silvaril, the SotS wiki:Fiction link was exactly what I've been looking for... funny that I missed that when I browsed the site previously.

I presume the wiki would only list finished works, while this forum acts as testing ground for works-in-progress.

Am gonna dive into the treasure trove there now, and when I'm done, perhaps I'll browse the fanfics here again to check for completed ones that aren't yet listed on the wiki, and perhaps give the author a nudge to publish there as well :P

As for the reading sequence, the wiki's chaptering system already solves it for individual authors' works. "Inter-author" timelines however are yet to be established. As I read the fics, I'll put up my own suggestions as well.

medcatt

Post by medcatt » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:41 pm

OP updated.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

And yet we get so many Karaoke attempts on XFire... :)

Post by silvaril » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:01 pm

Heya

Yeah, a number of folk haven't found the Community Culture section with the music and poetry, as well as the FanFic... ;)

It's not like it's linked on the Main Page... oh... well... so it's out of the way down the bottom there... meh... ;p

:lol:

Disclaimer:

Ace

Re: Fiction Enjoyment Chronology

Post by Ace » Sat May 24, 2008 9:00 pm

If anyone wants to wikify the ones I've posted here in the past, please feel free to do so.

DervMan

Re: Fiction Enjoyment Chronology

Post by DervMan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:01 am

I presume the wiki would only list finished works, while this forum acts as testing ground for works-in-progress.

I'll only publish stuff in this forum once it's complete* - SFS Exeter 774, Hiverspace and <Resolution> are all individual stories by their own right, even though they're telling a different part of the same story.

As far as time lines go, Exeter sets out that the Hamilton stories are at the early Fusion / early Black 13 era.

*I don't think I have ever finished a piece of work that I've not gone back to after a few months to discover some improvement needed!

Return to “Fiction”