Songs of the Dead

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Muzzy

Songs of the Dead

Post by Muzzy » Wed May 21, 2008 3:11 pm

In life, I was Night [the meeting of cooling air and warm water after the sun has set], joyful student of Elder Seafire [hot water from an undersea vent rushing past to mix with the freezing waters around, the taste of the strange animals that dwell in the deep, the scent of strange lichens on the ocean currents]. Long I played by his side, and wrestled with his ancient thoughts, until at last he showed me the terrible truth.
It was him who convinced us the Suul'ka must die, his voice loudest of all that brought us the dealing of death. His mind that led the crafting of the pathogen, his soul that froze against the winter-minds.
Now I am dead, and I swim in corpse water. I am the stern aide to the Black [cold. darkness. death.]. I am Night [the chill of corpse waters that shall never know the sun].

Cycle 6
I sift through the reports. "Arrived Amuul." and a stream of statistics, its size, distance from its sun, mineral wealth, atmosphere composition, sea composition, moons, tectonic activity and a thousand other facts, all in the cold, impartial manner of the fleetsong.
[what do the waters taste like? what does the sunrise look like? what songs drift through the world currents?] the echos of my lifesong wonder.
Dead, I turn to the Black.
[Amuul explored. Size category 3. Projected expense in colonization deemed prohibitive.]
[Understood. Orders to proceed to Shonobu directly.]
I code the beacon. "Move Shonobu."

Verbreiten Sie bösartig Glee

Muzzy

Re: Songs of the Dead

Post by Muzzy » Fri May 23, 2008 11:05 pm

Cycle 13

I can feel their minds, the song of their lives, encased in ice, mired in mud, obscured by the unthinking death that they have entered. But they shall live again.
The Black has sent me into the void to oversee the establishment of a new colony. In the pods attached to this vessel a number of the living float dead, but not dead. They rest like the creatures of the land rest, their minds quieted, while I, dead, swim and think and feel their muffled thoughts.
Blue [the seas of the homeworld seen from the stars] and Pain [the memory of the Suul'ka] swim by me, and I can barely tell my thoughts from theirs. The loneliness of the Black Sea drives us to each other until we cannot tell one from another.
How I wish I could die like these living, to be born anew in a new, warm sea. To reshape the mires of this new world into a paradise the likes of Muur. Was that my thought? Or Blue or Pain? In six cycles, when we arrive, will there be a difference?

Muzzy

Re: Songs of the Dead

Post by Muzzy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:55 pm

Cycle 20

Pain [the memory of the Suul'ka, the memory of the seas of Muur] is staring at the surface of this new world, so recently settled by the living. I watch with him, through his eyes as the clouds, while Blue [the seas of the homeworld seen from the stars, the silhouette of a vessel against a new world] and I service our battlesuits. The young elder Amuul has requested a conference with us.
Pain wonders, not for the first time in the near decade we have spent together, whether we are still three parts of the Song or whether we have become one verse in the Darkness. It seems that he has become the repository of our fears and doubts. Blue and I respond, calming his doubts. But I am forced to wonder myself. We respond not as two speaking to one, but in the way one's own mind rises to quell doubts and fears.

Return to “Fiction”