Needing Assistance with Story Ideas

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Quester

Needing Assistance with Story Ideas

Post by Quester » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 pm

I am currently working on the outline for a story that I am going to post on a fanfiction site, I will put links to the wiki and this site to get more SotS players. This story will feature a crossover with Star Trek after the movies. It will have a few modifications so as to not mess up both continuitys. The Starfleet ship will be a Luna class ship from the Titan book series, thought the crew will not be as diverse.

All the SotS info will be in one of the satalite galaxies of the Milky Way. This will be a differant ship than the Titan and the humans of this will have differant skin, hair and eye colors than traditional humans due to the fact that the Preservers took them from Earth about 70,000 years ago around the time of the Toga super-volcano explosion.

What I need is what is it that the crew of the Starfleet vessal can do to make it interesting to the readers besides explaining how humans and others have developed in this corner of the universe.

So, what ideas are out there?

Also, I will need at least a beta reader and maybe a co-writer as well.

commissarjason

Re: Needing Assistance with Story Ideas

Post by commissarjason » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:51 am

Hmmm.....well how about upon meeting the SoTS ship for the first time, the Starfleet ship found it in a middle of a bloody skirmish with the Tarka, Hiver or even the Zuul? Or better yet, the Starfleet ship and crew found itself warping into the middle of a huge battle/skirmish between one of the said races and suddenly find that their technology - which was the best in their star cluster - totally unable to hold a candle to those of the SoTS ships?

With that, they get mistaken for a new prototype of ships that the humans 'built' and thus , the enemy ships made a beeline for it, intent on its destruction. The Human SoTS ships decided to help the Starfleet ship when they saw that their enemy was doing all they could to make a fast burn for the Starfleet ship to destroy it before it powered up its weapons, as the SoTS commander was a believer of the axiom "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." And the fact that it was only one ship made it all the more unfair.

The breaking off of a part of the enemy fleet weakened which resulted in the SoTS human fleet being able to win. Thats all i can think of now. Cheers. :D
Silence is a music few can understand and even fewer can appreciate.

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:54 pm

Since startrek ftl most resembles Tarka in nature, and their ship aesthetic is unlike any of the SotS races', play up the confusion and fear in the SotS side of things, especially for the Tarka (rampant suspicion that this new force is the same one responsible for the fall of the first Tarka empire). The inability to translate transmissions in the first contact (which should take place during a conflict between two SotS races, followed by a Zuul raid following in the battle's aftermath), and the bewildering variety of drive techs should be confusing and possibly frightening to the trekkie crew. Stutterwarp should really especially bizzare the first time it comes on the scene.

Another important thing to consider is the tech level of the SotS. Are they slinging around AM era tech, making the trekkie phasers look like peashooters with meson beams, HAMCs, AM torps and Adamantium armor? Or is it fusion tech, on the same order as the trekkies? Are there projectors (f*cking terrifying the first time you see one in action). How do the trekkie shields stand up to the weapons of the SotS races? Are they prepared for the use of kinetic weapons? How will they hold up against AoE weapons?

And how will they react to the races themselves? Realizing that their 'fellow' humans have followed a completely different path? How will they stand up to the psychic space whales and the psychotic psychic space weasel-badger-wombats? What will they do when introduced to the imperious lizard-monkies? And what will their reaction be to the alien centaur ant-mantises?

Verbreiten Sie bösartig Glee

Quester

Post by Quester » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:06 pm

I was thinking of haveing the story take place shortly before the "Deacon's Tale", it appeared to me that the story was takeing place in Fusion era at most. Also, I think Starfleet tech is higher in most regards, 360 degree sheilds, ships that are MUCH larger than a Dreadnaught, possible Deep Scan, Anti-Matter engines, phasers that can be any size turret or point-defense.

Here's a quick example, a human dreadnaught with a battle bridge (crew of 100), Amada CnC Section (crew of 120) and a Node Pathing Anti-Matter Engine (crew of 100) is apox 270 meters and has a crew of 320. This is considered the pinacle of tech at this time. Starfleet on the other hand has the 80 year old (IIRC) Constitution-class original series of a crew of 430, 12 phaser banks and six torpedo launchers at 289 meters. They are more spacious than what I get from the wiki and have more capabilities.

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:28 pm

To quote the Wiki on crew sizes of Dreadnaughts.
t3h w1k1 wrote:Human Dreadnoughts have a crew complement of 800 – 1000 while Hivers have a crew complement of 1600 – 2000. Tarka Dreadnought crews number about 600 – 800 and Liir Dreadnought crews run to around 200 members, depending on the design of the ship.

Im guessing the crew numbers from the individual sections is perhapes refering to either marines for repelling boarding parties or the number of crewmen that can be spared and still keep the ship running?
But if those numbers mentioned in the wiki are canon, it would seem that there is defitnetly more than 300-400 people aboard a Sword of the Stars class Dreadnaught.

But an outright comparison between firepower, shield power or combat manuverbility would be hard to make as we have nothing to base numbers from SotS on. The best we could deduce is that SotS marines likely would kick the living crap out of a startrek crew in a boarding action. Just look how the trekkies fight in every one of episodes that show boarding actions or battles aboard ships (in particular the klingon assault on DS 9...), where the crews where no or practicaly no protection, use slow firing phasers (or the faster shooting pulse rifles which are likely still no match for a modern automatic rifle or shotgun at such short ranges) and how many fights (the klingon boarding action on DS 9 for example) show wide spread fist fights...
A team of brawler suits with fullautomatic shotguns and plenty of grenades would likely cut through such a trekkie defence team. To say nothing of what a trained and experienced team of Hiver warriors would do...

bmac4417

Post by bmac4417 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Or a full Zull coterie or two.

Quester

Post by Quester » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:59 pm

Well going on that I still think that Starfleet has higher tech level. Consider that a Runabout is about the same length as a destroyer, apox 30 meters. They may be vunreable to boarding parties if they can get throught the sheilds.

However, I'm still trying to find a challange that will put both the Starfleet crew and the Human Empire in jepardy. The Astoroid Monitors, Alien Deralicts, Von Neuman, Swarm and other Menaces are the leftovers of a war between the Preservers themselves. How things go from there, I'm not sure.

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Isn't it pretty well established that Star Trek shields don't prevent ships from flying through, they just stop weapons fire, radiation and the like?
There isn't any reason to asume that a federation shield works in the same way a SotS shield does after all.
And if all else fails, theres the shield breaker rounds...

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:16 pm

Just a thought: the things like relative tech level are secondary to the actual story. They're more backround. Look at The Deacon's Tale. While Arinn probably knows the full tech trees researched by each race for the writing, its mostly kept out of sight unless its important.
So, while you should figure out how you want to handle comperable techs, use it as a way to keep the story internally consistent rather than a focal point (otherwise you run the risk of wandering into fanwank territory).

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:20 pm

Defitnetly.

TrashMan

Post by TrashMan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:16 pm

LOL @Star Trek security fighting a any of the SOTS ground pounders!

It would be like throwing a stoned pacifist in a orc custume in front of a bunch of WH40K space marines. Bloody murder!
halo07guy wrote: Praise be to Trashman! All will revel in his holy modding skillz!
And I say onto you: Blessed are those who play my mods - for they are good!

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:23 pm

Actually there a few things you can do to avoid fanwank.

One of the worst things you can do in a crossover is to make one universe so overwhelmingly superior/perfect when compared to the other. If ST phasers cut SotS ships to shreds and their shields can bounce off the combined firepower of entire fleets with nary a flicker or vice versa, it strains suspension of disbelief, especially if the weaker side makes an abrupt comeback towards the end (Dragon Ball Z is a good example of how not to do it). If one side does have an advantage, make it a relatively small but important one (the balance of races and techs in SotS is actually a very good model for this). Interactions between relative equals is often more gripping and interesting than when one side is overwhelmingly powerful.

Try to get into your characters' heads. Develop a voice for them in your head, and try to think their lines using that voice (or maybe thats just me...). I find it helps with realistic interactions between characters.
(this is especially important when using established characters. Nothing. Nothing. NOTHING kills a piece of fanfiction than unbelievable dialog in an established character's mouth. I've abandoned reading fanfictions after the second line for this. Get. the. bloody. established. characters. right!)

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Oh, and have a timeline written out beforehand. I'm the most guilty with this one (while writing Eleven Fold Memories I spend almost as much time referencing my previous posts to figure out names and dates as I do actually writing)

Quester

Post by Quester » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:26 am

Muzzy wrote:Actually there a few things you can do to avoid fanwank.

One of the worst things you can do in a crossover is to make one universe so overwhelmingly superior/perfect when compared to the other. If ST phasers cut SotS ships to shreds and their shields can bounce off the combined firepower of entire fleets with nary a flicker or vice versa, it strains suspension of disbelief, especially if the weaker side makes an abrupt comeback towards the end (Dragon Ball Z is a good example of how not to do it). If one side does have an advantage, make it a relatively small but important one (the balance of races and techs in SotS is actually a very good model for this). Interactions between relative equals is often more gripping and interesting than when one side is overwhelmingly powerful.

Try to get into your characters' heads. Develop a voice for them in your head, and try to think their lines using that voice (or maybe thats just me...). I find it helps with realistic interactions between characters.
(this is especially important when using established characters. Nothing. Nothing. NOTHING kills a piece of fanfiction than unbelievable dialog in an established character's mouth. I've abandoned reading fanfictions after the second line for this. Get. the. bloody. established. characters. right!)

Well since the crew of the ship will also be my creation that shouldn't be an issue. Before I start writing the story I'm going to work on the characters history a little. That way I have an idea of what they will do and how they are going to say what ever they want to say.

Quester

Post by Quester » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:58 am

I finally decided what I am going to have the crew face. After an encounter with the Zuul, I'm going to have a System Killer show up. I had one apperar in one of my games and need additional info on it's capabilities and weapons. I figure this is a way to have a tie in with the original series as well since there was a planet killer on that as well.

Please send all info here or PM so that I can work things out better.

Return to “Fiction”