Needing Assistance with Story Ideas

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

Sevain

Re: Needing Assistance with Story Ideas

Post by Sevain » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Let's see...the system killer fires a humongous green beam of death that can blow up planets and stars (I believe). Upon entering a system it will first attack the civilized bits and, having dealt with any resistance by blowing its planets and ships up, commences to destroy everything else and munch on the remains to fix battle damage. It also destroys any node lines and any ships inside those lines.

Secondary weapons consist of, if my memory serves, a crapload of lesser green beams with fairly short range and about two or three craploads of re-targeting planetary missiles. The missiles punch through deflectors below dreadnaught size with their splash damage, although the missiles themselves can not pass through.

Slasher
Platinum Post

Post by Slasher » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:57 pm

Actualy, sparky eats the system, he doesn't blow it up...
Think more "Ka CHOMP!" than "KA BLAM!" when he gets to the planet. Thats why it also heals him...

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:09 am

However, I'm still trying to find a challange that will put both the Starfleet crew and the Human Empire in jepardy. The Astoroid Monitors, Alien Deralicts, Von Neuman, Swarm and other Menaces are the leftovers of a war between the Preservers themselves. How things go from there, I'm not sure.

Hmm. This could be a secondary thing, depending on your style of writing. Are you writing about the interaction of characters with SotS / Star Trek as a backdrop, or writing about SotS / Star Trek with characters as a backdrop? It's always a blend of the two for me...

Muzzy, I like your points of view; have you read and pulled apart Exeter and Hiverspace? 8)

halo07guy

Post by halo07guy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:31 pm

Personally, I think that the Trek ship could find similaritys between the Locust, Von Neumann, and Borg. Maybe include parts about the AI Virus being of some use to them? Or have them encounter a rogue AI faction? I agree with the idea that the Trek ship should enter into a battle between Humans and some other faction(s). And when they first meet the SoTS Humans, maybe it should be explained what the Hivers did during their first space launch, and what happened to Earth during First Contact.
Your world can end in the blink of an eye. One event, one unexpected twist of fate... and suddenly the world as you knew... is gone. Forever. All that you held dear, all that you held close... is washed away in a sea of distant memory. Life... is cruel. Of this I have no doubt. But life continues on... with, or without you. One can only hope that one leaves behind a lasting legacy.

R.I.P. Allison Mohney and Jared May

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:22 am

DervMan wrote:Muzzy, I like your points of view; have you read and pulled apart Exeter and Hiverspace? 8)

Liked 'em. You've done a good job in conveying a 'hard' naval atmosphere. The technobable is well done and believable (no reversing the polarity of the neutron flow here). Fight scenes were done

halo07guy wrote:Personally, I think that the Trek ship could find similaritys between the Locust, Von Neumann, and Borg. Maybe include parts about the AI Virus being of some use to them? Or have them encounter a rogue AI faction? I agree with the idea that the Trek ship should enter into a battle between Humans and some other faction(s). And when they first meet the SoTS Humans, maybe it should be explained what the Hivers did during their first space launch, and what happened to Earth during First Contact.

Further thoughts;
1) how many 'players' are there active? Who's at war with who?
1a) how close to SotS canon do you want to make this (its obviously AU, but how AU?)
2) When revealing SotS backstory, try to keep the explanation relatively off screen. Having a SotS native just blurt out exposition would be bad form. Having a member of the Trekkie crew discover and share the information (possible from the data core of a damaged/derelict ship in the aftermath) seems in keeping with the Startrek universe.

Now, on to the good stuff:
For the initial conflict with the Zuul;
1) Why are the Zuul in that system
- are they picking through the aftermath of a battle between other races or what was left behind when the system was evacuated in the face of the oncoming sparkie? If so, it'd be a great chance to introduce the Trekkie crew to the various ship aesthetics of the various races.
- or is it a Zuul controlled system? Gives you a chance to explore the crews reaction to seeing a Zuul world from space (they've got wildfires that can be seen from orbit)
2) Are there actual slave ships in the Zuul fleet, and how do the Trekkies react if there are?
3) Assuming there are any boarding actions
- how do the Trekkies react to Zuul mental powers?
- how do the Trekkies react to the pertinent aspects of the Zuul lifecycle (say a few females get killed on board the Trekkie ship. young Zuul thus released could pose a future problem for the Trekkie crew)

Regarding the System Killer
1) How much early warning do they get? Sparkies aren't the fastest threats on the block. There are some good opportunities for foreshadowing here (anomalous sensor readings on the outskirts of the system detected just before the fight with the Zuul begins, stuff like that)
2) Do the Trekkies actually engage the System Killer, and if so, just how badly do they get their asses kicked before they decide to flee (its a freakin' sparkie. Big bad material for sure). Or do they just see what its capable from afar?

Verbreiten Sie bösartig Glee

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:46 pm

Muzzy wrote:(say a few females get killed on board the Trekkie ship. young Zuul thus released could pose a future problem for the Trekkie crew)
After watching a few episodes of the Opinionated Episode Guide to Voyager...ouch. Just ouch. Not sure if such stupidity is common to all Trek, but at least that particular crew would be so dead if they had a Zuul infestation on board.

Quester

Post by Quester » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:55 am

I can't find Exeter anywhere on the boards. Can someone post a link to where I can find it please?

bmac4417

Post by bmac4417 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:00 am

Here ya go. :thumbsup:
http://sots.rorschach.net/SFS_Exeter_774

You can find other stories on the wiki as well. Just click the confused scientist at the top of the forums to go to the wiki and scroll down to the bottom to navigate around. :D

DervMan

Post by DervMan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:54 am

Forgive me for I am bad...

The version on the Wiki is the original. I went back to revisit and improve the tale but I've not posted it up into the wiki yet. It's available here:

www.kerberos-productions.com/forum/view ... 2&start=15

Same story, just some of the detailing improved...

kknd2

Post by kknd2 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:40 am

I alwase wanted to have a smart crew in a trek story, and SOTS humans are pratical enough to actually use it.
The Liir says the glass is half full.
The Hiver says the glass is half empty.
While they argue about it, the Zuul comes along, drinks what's left, and removes all doubt. - KKND2

Return to “Fiction”