Humanity

Searchers after fiction haunt strange, far places.

Moderator: Erinys

LordD

Humanity

Post by LordD » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:34 pm

It has taken a while to get to this point, basically the story follows a soldier in the Human Empire called David Wall and how the events of his life have led him to the point he is at. Really what I'm asking for is just suggestions into how I could make the beginning better. It's a bit of a read as it currently stands at 7 chapters with 25 A4 pages. I know Erinys suggest to finish the story, but this is going to be the biggest one I have written so far but I don't want to continue if there is a problem with the beginning. So here it is as it says in the subject the story is called Humanity.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MIOK197B

Currently that is what I have, thank you for reading it, hope you enjoyed it and if you have any suggestions about where I could tidy up or tiny alterations that might explain the story better, I'm all ears.

I'll as time passes and slowly complete the book, will update the story, at some point I'll just upload the entire document in a zipped folder.

Lord D

P.S. hoping that this post doesn't end up being to long, here goes.
Well I hit the character limit so it seems you good people will be geeting the zipped folder.
The empire of Lord D has arisen run or be destroyed.

LordD

Re: Humanity

Post by LordD » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Yay the hot link works, as I said before thanks for reading what I have so far.

Lord D

LordD

Post by LordD » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:01 am

Has anyone read what I have so far? Or will people prefer if I put the chapters up on the thread?

I feel worried to see the number of views to go up but there is no comment, I rather have someone go and say they didn't like something, cause at least I know someone actually has spent some time to read it.

Come on even a tiny comment, even if it a suggestion of putting up the chapters for the story up on the forum as I finish them, that would be helpful to know considering I was thinking of re hosting the story so far with every three extra chapters that I write from now on.

Thanks for your time.

Lord D

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Ok, decided that I should also post up the chapters, so here goes, unfortunately haven't had time to get on with the new chapters, but maybe I get some time during the week to do chapter 8.

Humanity
By John David King
Chapter 1

Marching down one of the many corridors on the ship, Lieutenant Wall’s eyes stared straight ahead, never glancing at the many wall displays that littered these corridors. Blinking lights attempted to capture the Lieutenant attention but he steadily marched on.

Steps echoed back to Wall’s ears, this is one of the things he hated about the ship every sound echoes in the corridors, always sounded like someone was walking behind you, always gave Wall the chills to think about it.
Hell considering what had just happen a couple of hours ago; he wouldn’t be surprised if ghosts would be following him for years to come. When that thought entered his head Wall quickly glanced behind to have a quick check.

You fool, Wall thought there no one there, let’s get back to quarters.

Coming to a junction, Wall turned to the right to come within five paces a door, punching in a combination code on the keypad on the right hand side of the door. With a whoosh the door slide opens, revealing directly in front of him a plain black desk. Hitting a button on the wall with his right palm, light suddenly flared up in the room.

As the door closed, Wall removed the sword badge from his collar and placed it on the desk. Walking into the en suite room next to his office was a small bunk, flopping on to it, sleep came to Wall instantly. But instead of peaceful sleep, screams echoed in his dreams.

A beeping sound intruded into Wall’s sleep, wiping his eyes he looked at the wall display, 0300, flashed in red. Damn what now thought Wall; pulling himself out of bed. Staggering to the door, he activated the door sensor, walking through the door, was a man of great stature.

Wall bowed as the middle aged man walked into his office; quickly Wall offered his chair behind the desk, the visitor nodded his assent, while Wall sat on a chair with his back to his own door, the older man sat down on Wall’s chair facing the door.

“Well David, how you been finding yourself?” asked the older man. David Wall looked at the man sitting in his seat, the brown hair was starting to go grey was cropped short in the military style; a hint of a stubble was coming through. The admiral’s uniform was stretched over his broad frame which was the same with David.

“Well Uncle, it was tough, but I’m the man of Imperial fleet, I obey the orders given to me, you taught me that. Now is there any reason for being here, I know that as this is your flagship, you can be anywhere you want but the fact is if you want to see me you can just order me to your office, why did you come to my room?” asked Wall, staring at his Uncle in front of him. The Admiral shifted uncomfortably on the seat, he started to speak but kept stammering, after a couple of attempts the admiral take a couple of deep breaths.

“I’m here to talk about what happened on the planet…”

“Admiral, I followed my orders, you told me not to dwell on the actions we do, because if we do we can’t do our jobs.” Wall suddenly said cutting off the Admiral. “Remember we are fighting a war, sir!”

“Yes we are, but what you have done on Graff, most troops would have gone to a counsellor to discuss what happened, but you have seen no one about it, David I’m worried about you, hell most men would get something like that scrubbed from their brains…”

“Admiral, the fact is I will carry those memories as they will be a reminder to me of what it means to be an officer in the Imperial fleet.”

“As long as it doesn’t affect your duties as an officer, the first instance I get a hint that this is affecting you, I will make sure that you get scrubbed, you understand what I’m saying!”

“Yes sir!”

“Get some sleep, we will be arriving at Earth tomorrow, the Emperor wants to present you with the Sword of the Empire, do you know what honour this is, I won’t allow you to dishonour the family by having a breakdown during the ceremony.”

“Uncle, I am not the man who brought dishonour to the family, instead I have brought honour back into the family.”

“The Emperor may honour us with your dedication, but you have to remember how history will remember you.”

“It will remember me as a man of duty, an Officer of the Imperial fleet and I will be the sword of the Emperor by tomorrow.”

“Let’s hope so.”

Earth, the home of mankind, has stretched its influence across half the galaxy, for century’s mankind has fought for supremacy against multiple races, most of their names forgotten to the mists of the history only remembered by the Emperor’s historians who have recorded the entire history of humanity supposedly dating back to when Earth was the only planet man lived on.

Surrounding the Imperial planet many ships of the Imperial Fleet, ranging from interceptors to the heaviest ship classes like the Admiral Class that pulled into Earth’s orbit.

Out of an aperture, on the side of the ship slipped out a tiny dagger like ship, which darted towards the planet, two other dagger ships joined the first ship. David could hear the radio chatter between the pilots, Wall frowned at the stupid pilots, they should only use the channel for proper purposes not for idle chatter but we can let regulation slide just this once.

The ship rocked as it skimmed through the atmosphere, after a few seconds, the turbulence cleared up, looking through the window, far below the ship reared up the Imperial palace, at the edge of the palace lay the Imperator class ship, the flag ship of the whole Imperial fleet, it was twice the size of the Admiral Class, it was the Emperor personal ship, but the ship had never taken off in the last five years, meaning that Uncle John’s ship was the ship that had led the fleet to victory over the last five years instead.

Before the ship was legions of guards, damn thought Wall that is the whole Guard all thirty million of them, the Emperor is rejoining the war, hell I hope the engines are working it will take all fifty thrusters to launch that ship into space. David admired the simplicity of Human flagship, mainly rectangular in shape, the bow of the ship curved ending as a spike which could be used to ram other ships, no ship wanted to be rammed by the Emperor’s ship, the fifty mile long ship would cleave most ships in two, looking carefully he saw a crater being repaired.

Of course, the last battle the emperor had been in had caused a lot of damage to the ship; at least a hundred enemy ships had chosen a collision course with the Imperator Class Ship when they realised they had lost.
That was a great battle, it should have finished the war but the enemy had still continued to wage war against the Terran Empire. Fifty years of war, well it looks like we are going for the last push and a good thing also.

The Imperial Palace however dwarfed the flagship, spreading over a thousand miles squared, towers rose up to punch the air, the tallest tower rose over a mile into the air, from there the emperor maintained watch over the palace and all the Earth which the palace hung over 300 metres on mighty pillars of steel. Everything around the Emperor was a miracle of engineering and the palace was the culmination of all those miracles. The palace was built to last forever and as long as it stands the Empire will never fall.

At the edge of palace eight massive fusion reactors ringed the palace; one reactor was enough to power a city as big as the ancient London over which the palace was directly over.

As the shuttle approached the main tower, David started to notice the intricate detail worked into the metalwork, depicted were the famous battles won in the name of the Emperor, it was a shame that events that occurred on Graff would never be recorded in such an honour. It was only now that David realised that they weren’t heading for the main hanger but towards the landing pad on the main tower, he was being allowed to land on the Emperor’s personal landing pad. The Emperor was honouring him in such a manner astonished Lieutenant Wall, he wouldn’t be expected to show his loyalty by climbing the five thousand steps from the main hanger to the throne room, he wouldn’t have to go through the lengthy interrogations made by Scotia guards, where he would be expected to hand in his pistol. Oh gods, he would be allowed to enter the throne room with his pistol.

Yes he would be surrounded by a thousand heavily armed Scotia guards and the throne room was designed so as to disable weapons such as the standard pistol that he carried at his side, despite that he was still being allowed to enter the throne room with an recognised weapon, which only the Scotia guards and men being honoured by being handed the Sword of the Empire were allowed to carried an recognised weapon in the presence of the Emperor.

With a thud the shuttle landed upon the pad, the shuttle doors slowly slid open, the ramp descended upon the luscious red carpet that ran straight through the great doors that stood in front of Wall, two thousand metres beyond that was the throne, such a simple artefact, it was as black as the night, despite the grand settings of the room, the only thing that suggested that the throne belonged to the Emperor was it’s height. It was as tall as the two guards who stood beside the throne. There was only one bloodline that produced such men, Kaisaris, the men were in theory the Emperor biological sons but as they were grown in a test tube with genetic manipulation, if the Emperor was to stand they would just come up to his shoulder. The emperor was an mountain of a man, some men were as tall as he were broad but there none of them here in that room, no slave caste would ever be permitted in the Emperor presence.

Only the higher castes were ever allowed in the presence of the Emperor, of which stood to attention along the red carpet, none of them was less than two metres. But for this occasion only the warrior class was allowed in the throne room. The men who lined the carpet were armoured and had sword at the sides. All were Scotia guards, behind the lines of guards were what it appeared to be every Admiral and General within the empire, but David knew that couldn’t be possible as some of them were two years away from Earth fighting right on the edge of the Empire, but that was going to be in the past if the gate network was completed. With it forces would be able to deploy anywhere within the Empire instantaneous, the scientists argued that there was a small delay factor, but to the Imperial fleet that was a mute point, what they wanted to know was whether or not could fleets be sent that way as the biggest gate could take ten men abreast, so it could accommodate anything that the army could use but the fleets at the moment would still have to travel the old way. Two years to the edge of the Empire from Earth, it was a good thing that the borders had been quiet for decades, the current objective of the Fleet was wiping out those rebels that would destroy the civilisation that the Emperor had fought to establish.

Damn it, my mind is everywhere today thought Wall, take a deep breath, and then march down those two kilometres of red carpet. As he passed the doors, a sergeant shouted out.

“Your Royal Majesty; Lieutenant David Wall of the 1st Imperial Fleet, serving aboard Fleet Flagship, the Devastator; awaiting to presented with the Sword of the Empire.”

“Let him proceed forward to receive his award.” Spoke the Emperor, but despite that his voice was carried easily over the room, whether by design of the room or aided by technical means David couldn’t tell. Upon that he walked down the carpet towards his future.

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Chapter 2
15 years later

The Admiral marched on to the bridge of the Devastator, as men saw him they saluted at him, the Admiral dismissed them with a wave of the hand, the men returned to their duties, looking at the screens that they were expected to look at. The Admiral approached the captain of the ship, the captain snapped to attention and handed a situation report. The Admiral leafed through the report and turned his attention back to the admiral.
“It looks like we have them, Captain Yates!” said the Admiral triumphantly. “It has taken too long captain.”
“Of course Admiral, you have to remember that these raiders are fast but they don’t have the range of the Devastator, we had to push the engines up to 115% to stay in contact of that ship.” Reported Captain Yates, looking nervously at the Admiral expecting to be dismissed from the bridge, but the dismissal never came as soon as the Admiral read through the entire sit rep, he turned back to the Captain.
“Now Captain Yates it is obvious that they can’t be allowed to reach the asteroid belt in the Scalton system, if they do they will probably escape once again, see to it that you ensure that we pull that ship aside!” ordered the Admiral as he turned away and started to walk towards the lift.
“Sir what about weapons we will have to disable that raiders engines?” enquired the Captain.
“Only the ion cannon I do not want that ship destroyed and limit the boarding crew to stunners, no grenades, no heavy weaponry, I want that ship intact no matter what.” Shouted the Admiral, all activity stopped on the bridge, “get back to your duties, contact me when we are within weapons range, I will lead the boarding party and no objections.”
The lifts doors closed, the Admiral passed his hand over the plate beside the door, when the scanner confirmed his palm print, and he ordered the lift down to floor five where the senior officer’s quarters were based within one of the deepest parts of the ship. The Imperial Fleet didn’t want to lose senior officers while they were sleeping, so their quarters along with the engines, the weapons, the magazines and the bridge were all heavily armoured. While the normal crew quarters were much closer to the outer hull and so in a battle were the most easiest to breach, there was fifty thousand crewmen, the ship could afford to lose easily a hundred men at a time, hell a ship like the Devastator could lose 30,000 crewmen and still function but to lose such a percentage of the crew, it would require hull damage to over 65% of the ship but that could only happen in battle such as not has occurred in over twenty years, despite the fact that the emperor had rejoined the war against the rebels 15 years ago, there had been no massive battles with the rebels, only small skirmishes.
The rebels loved leading the Imperial Fleet around the galaxy, while the Imperial forces were spread out; the rebels were able to concentrate their attacks on weakened Imperial positions.
The Emperor had sent the thousands of ships protecting the sol system out into the Empire, only the Imperator, two Admiral class ships, five Kais class ships (destroyers), and thousands of fighters remained to protect Earth let alone the other colonies within the Sol System.
The Empire was in a state of turmoil such that had never been seen since the time of Kais the first Emperor who united Humanity to spread among the stars, he instilled order upon Humanity by creating the caste system and now it appeared to be disintegrating, the rebels had grown stronger over the last fifty years, first it started off as a couple of higher caste who had displeased the Emperor and had disappeared before they could be dealt with, now it had grown into military force that could fight the Imperial forces, they might not have won a major victory but the Admiral felt it was only time till the end game began.
The lift stopped, doors slid open revealing an empty corridor, of course it would be empty remonstrated the Admiral, they were in the mid point of a shift, so either the men were up on the bridge or sleeping, hell the whole ship was empty, the Admiral class, 15 miles long, armed to the teeth with a hundred laser batteries, 15 massive ion cannons, 400 missile tubes, and a thousand fighters. Not only that the ship was big enough was to carry a full legion, a million men, but also provide enough space for combat drills.
The Admiral class had hydroponics to grow the food to feed all the men, the machine shops to work the parts needed to maintain the ship, hell if an Admiral class ship was to come across a system heavy in resources it could build a small fleet, the main hanger with a length of five miles can hold five Kais class ships. The Admiral class also had cloning facilities to create the men needed to replace any losses. The Admiral loved how the Devastator could go out into the unknown and be able to survive anything that the galaxy could throw at them.
This was a hell of a mission; the Drake way station had been attacked by rebels, the station was destroyed but life pods had been released, when the Devastator got to the scene, one of the life pods was missing. The obvious answer was that the rebel had seized the life pod to gain prisoners to interrogate. The Admiral couldn’t afford to let that happen, it was his duty to ensure that the rebel ship didn’t escape but did that entail destroying the rebel ship, no he wasn’t ready to do that.
Surely he could rescue those crewmen, we have left too many crewmen over the years, all those skirmishes, what had they achieved, how couldn’t the stupid rebels realise that the Emperor had brought about the Golden Age of mankind, how could some humans be so selfish and just consider themselves and not what was best for Humanity. The Emperor, the Human Empire, the caste system was all for the good of mankind, how could they not see that, were they blind.
Walking down the corridor, the Admiral rethought the situation that there was only two ways it could end, they capture the rebel ship or they destroy the ship, no the rebel ship had a chance of escape but how would he be able to tell that they were close to capturing that ship or if they were about to escape so they could launch a ship to ship missile to end the chase. But if they end it that way though, it will be admitting that they had failed to save fellow Imperial troops; however it would also end the torment that those troops must surely be suffering.
Why didn’t the Grand Admiral, give more specific orders, it was a shame that the Grand Admiral hadn’t taken charge. What were those words spoken, I leave it in your capable hands Admiral.
I don’t feel that capable though, seeing a comm. Unit set on the wall, the Admiral hit the activate button.
“Bridge, increase power to engines to 130%,” order the Admiral in the speaker.
“But Sir, the engines can barely handle that amount of power…” started Captain Yates.
“They can handle the power and if you have trouble finding the power, take it from the shields…”
“Sir that would make us vulnerable to attack, if they launch missiles it could…”
“I don’t care about taking a hull breach at this moment; we were given orders to either destroy the enemy ship or to board it, as we now know this ship is faster than what we thought it would be, so to we need to close the distance. Now if they approach within 100000 kilometres of that asteroid field, you have orders to destroy that ship, do you understand.”
“Sir are you sure, all intelligence suggest that your nephew is aboard that ship.”
“I know that, but family doesn’t get in the way of duty, David would understand, he is a Wall, he would have reached the same decision, it is the right choice and you know it.” With that the Admiral cut off the communication; walking towards his quarters right at the end of that corridor, preparing himself never to see his nephew again.

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Chapter 3

Darkness, utter darkness, not the darkness of space it was darker than that, at least in space there was some light, distant and old, from stars billions of years old but at least you could see that there was life in space. This, whatever it was, was dead, no life could be seen, what if he is blind, that impossible, his genetic makeup ensures that he will never go blind, but he could have been blinded, but his other senses would still work and they said nothing, did he still have his senses, maybe I’m dying, maybe this is the last thing all humans experience before they die.
But this seemed familiar, like he had been here before, he couldn’t remember where he had experienced a place like this, what was that, in the corner of his eye. So he wasn’t blind, that was at least good news. However there was no flicker anymore, it was back to this infernal darkness whatever it was. There was that flicker, no it wasn’t a flicker, it was a light. Some instinctual memory urged David towards the light, but what was it, surely it couldn’t be a light as you would find on a ship, that would require power from an engine but there was silence, there was no gentle hum found on all ships. And he couldn’t be in space as there would be at least some stars present and now with the light, David could see that he wasn’t in a pressurised suit, there is no way a Human could survive a couple of minutes out in space without one and it had felt that he had been out for hours. What if this feeling was caused by lack of oxygen and he had only been out for a few seconds, was there a decompression?
Where was the station then? What was happening to him? All David knew was that these questions would be answered when he reached that light. How would he reach that light though? With that thought the light got brighter or was it coming closer? What would happen if he touched that light, would all be revealed? He didn’t know all of it was based upon a feeling he had. Feelings were ambiguous to David, you never tried to base battle plans on feelings that you had but on cold hard intelligence, however in the heat of battle sometimes listening to a feeling is what insure you dive for cover at the right moment and find that a moments hesitation you would have a sniper’s round through your head. He didn’t know what this was, for all he could know, this could be death but the thought that it could also means that he lives crept into David’s mind.
Before he could decide any further of whether he should allow the light to approach him any further or try to run, if he could run in this place, the light engulfed him, every nerve in his body flared up in pain, this was torture, no this was death eternal, and suddenly he was lying on the floor, not just any floor but his bedroom floor.
How was this possible, his bedroom was on Earth, on a remote part of the Imperial Palace? Of course he hadn’t been on Earth for five years now but that wasn’t the point, this was his bedroom! This was impossible, he was based on the other side of the galaxy, that was a year and a half travel from Earth, David searched for the clock that would be somewhere around the room, there on the desk, he saw the date 19th February 3219, what the clock must be wrong but a clock is never wrong they were off by just a trillionth of a second every million years or was it a billion years, all that David could remember was that he would never live long enough for it to affect him. That left only one explanation, time travel.
Time travel, like most of the projects that the scientists of the Empire had thought up, had been scrapped but not due to a technological failure, unlike the gate network that the High Admiralty had hoped would secure the Empire, but the scientists had found that the gate system could never be scaled to the needs of the Empire. It could work, however the Emperor in his wisdom had realised that there was no way that by travelling into the past could we guarantee what future could be created. The real fear was that if the project continued, they would wake up to find that the Empire was gone but would they know that there been a change, let’s say that no one was willing to test the possibility.
Just because the Empire had destroyed all the information of time travel, didn’t mean that it couldn’t happen; the rebels’ technology was just as advanced as the Empire in some areas but was it as advanced in temporal mechanics?
No there was no intelligence to suggest that they did, everyone know the rebels live on the edge of civilisation and that constant patrols by the Imperial Fleet meant that the rebels couldn’t build up any bases, so they relied on guerrilla tactics and took what they needed from weak targets, such as the Way Station, what way station, what was it called, he could remember the smoke. But that could be memories from any battle that he had been in, battles that had never occurred yet. 19th February 3219, why did that date see familiar, in 3224 he was awarded the Sword of the Empire and with that his Captaincy. 3219 was when we was allowed to join the Imperial Fleet, he had passed from Officer training, the 19th February must have been when he was awarded his commission upon the Devastator as a Ensign on his 20th birthday.
Such a position was an honour, there was only a few places aboard the Admiral class ship open for fresh officers, David always suspected that Uncle John had pulled some strings, his dad had the influence when he was still alive but he never used that influence, yes it would be Uncle John who would have done it, Father must have preferred him to be watched by a member of the family and who better than Uncle John, out of the Wall family he was one of the most successful, at the age of forty he was a High Admiral, the youngest High Admiral in the History of the Empire.
Who better to keep an eye on him at that time, to keep him in line and remind him in those early years that he was only human. With that thought in his head, David heard a knock on the door; foolishly he called out “Enter!” just as the word erupted out of his mouth, he clamped his hand over mouth. But the knocking continued, strange, why hadn’t the person enter. There was a stirring from the bed, crap he couldn’t be caught right in the middle of the bedroom, where could he hide in here; the closet was too small for him. Hold on David thought, he vaguely remembered that morning and he definitely knew that there was no one there when he woke up, but if he was here now, then surely he had to be there then also, so why wasn’t he discovered and locked up for trespassing. Damn it I hate temporal mechanics thought David.
The knocking was louder this time, the stirring from the bed stopped and the cover was thrown off, legs swung over, the young him, bleary eyed staggered to the door, his brown hair was ruffled and the uniform was a mess. David groaned at the memory of that moment. Young David swiped at the panel next to the door, on the fourth attempt he was successful and the door slid open to reveal his father. David’s breath caught, even now David felt ashamed that his father had caught in such a state.
The look on his father’s face when he saw him was thunderous. The young David sobered up instantly, yes his father was a commodore in the Imperial Fleet but the Emperor had appointed him as a member of the Humanity board, two months before that morning. The Humanity Board, that organisation that was the Emperor first line of defence against rebellion, checked the DNA of all humans weeding out people with undesirable genetics. It was their duty to root out the mutants but they were also expected to keep an eye on everyone to make sure that they obeyed the order of the Empire, it was said that the Board had a dozen members on every ship in the Imperial Fleet. The High Admiralty was nervous when it came to the Board, the Emperor knew that they were loyal they claimed so why did they have spies upon their ships.
There was debate in the higher castes that the Emperor was considering in joining the military and the political castes, which was mainly represented by the Humanity Board, into a new caste and that Wall was just a test to see if the new caste would work, others thought that the Emperor had no such design except for awarding the commodore for such loyalty displayed over the years.
“Now listen here, there is no excuse, to be in such a state, just because you will be under your Uncle John’s Command doesn’t mean he will be lenient with you. I remember when I graduated, he was a Captain by then, and I found myself under his command just because I was his brother he didn’t treat me differently, actually he did, he was harder on me than anyone else!” shouted the commodore.
The young Ensign shifted nervously on his feet, looking guilty. His palms would be sweating; his heart would be beating wildly and wishing that his father wasn’t staring at him so much. Yes, it was typical of father to make it feel like he was a boring a hole with eyes, many men couldn’t match him in a staring match. It was joked in the fleet that the commodore if he set his mind on it could force his brother the Admiral to back down, maybe at the dining table over who had the right to carve the turkey for caste day. Maybe it was due to the fact that the Admiral had no permanent living quarters apart from on the Devastator, most of the Fleet officers were like that, while father never been stationed outside the Sol system, so he had the possibility to have a proper home.
But also due to this, Father only ever reached the rank of Commodore, no ever expected him to reach any higher, if he was going to keep putting more emphasis on establishing a family than his career, and then two months before this day father had helped spoil an assassination attempt on the future Emperor. For this service, the Emperor had decided to promote father not up in the military caste but to a level between the military and political caste.
David remembered the nickname that the lower castes called his father, the watchdog of the Emperor. David was surprised that the family crest never was the three headed hound Cerberus, the watchdog of the Greek underworld. It would be appropriate crest instead of the crossed swords that was the Wall family crest.
“Look, your uncle is expecting you to be on the Devastator within the hour…” started father but there was an intense flash in the room. Pain invaded David’s body, his skin was on fire, and every movement was agony, the light faded to reveal that he was still on his feet this time.
Looking around he recognised where he was, he was still in the Imperial Palace but in one of the teaching rooms of the academy, lined around the walls were ancient star charts, images of different types of battle ship, a history classroom, no he corrected himself as the pupils entered the room in order, Mr Neville’s advanced History of the Empire, there he was again, first in the line as Captain of the class. There Mr Neville, the white suit stretched over that paunch of his, the hair grey and patched like it always has been in David’s memories, those bushy eyebrows with a life of their own, a man nearing 150 years old due to medical technology but still he allowed himself to appear in such a state, how dare he class himself High Caste, why the Emperor had never made an example of him but he was the finest historian that ever lived within the Imperial Palace admitted David.
“Now, I’ve went over the beginning of the Empire, when Kais became Emperor of all Humans, now it is time to talk about the Caste system!” came out the voice of Mr Neville, David winced as the historian coughed and sputtered as he talked, so old wouldn’t it be a mercy to put him out of his misery. So weak that voice, how could a High Caste allow himself to become so weak and feeble like someone from the worker class in their last days but at least they had the decency to die, Neville oh no he had to preserve, he had to show the other Caste members, how old and decadent he was, it was like he was a relic from the old days kept to remind us how our society is perfect, maybe that was why he allowed himself to become such a mess, Maybe.
“What can you tell me of the Kaisaris?” asked that damned voice again.
“Sir, we have already covered this in…” started the 15 year old Wall.
“I don’t give a damn whether or not you have covered the subject, what I asked you was what do you know abut the Kaisaris bloodline, Mr Wall?” shouted Mr Neville, the voice clear, staring directly at the young man, the Historian body was now straight with anger, power radiated from him for a brief second like it must have done when he was younger but then it was replaced by the image of a bedraggled old man that everyone in the classroom was used to.
The 15 year old Wall stared speechless, never had Mr Neville shouted at a pupil, he might admonish them so wearily that the student never took heed but shouting that was unheard of.
“I believe I asked you a question, Mr Wall.” Asked Mr Neville, the voice was now clear; strange I never noticed that before thought David.
“The Kaisaris is the ultimate bloodline; they are exact genetic copies of Emperor Kais himself…”
“Let me correct you in that they are not exact genetic copies, the basic stock is from Kais but there have been significant alterations made to the material, so as to ensure that they are perfect everyway.”
“What’s to stop one of the Kaisaris from betraying the Empire and establishing their own power base?” asked a voice from the back of the classroom.
“But my boy all the Kaisaris have a small power base, the Grand Admirals have control of their fleets, the system Regents have the planetary systems and all the industrial and economic power that comes with it. And the Emperor has it all, the throne of Earth and ultimate power represented by his Nova Scotia Guards.”
“Sir there is other legions in the Imperial forces that are from Nova Scotia, what the difference?”
“True the Nova Scotians makes up nearly 12% of our Imperial legions, but only a tiny percentage is the Emperor’s personal Guard, who are trained from birth to be the best, it is like a lottery on Nova Scotia as their military caste all have the potential. The sacrifices made by an Emperor’s Guard are legendary, they will never have children, they will never take a wife or any sexual partner, for them protecting the Emperor is all that matters. Now name the Castes that are to be found in the High Caste?”
“The military, political, sciences and scholars castes,” answered the young David, but David himself had whispered out the answer also.
“Ah, Mr Wall, what is the difference between the sciences and scholars caste?”
“Sciences are men who put their lives in the subjects of chemistry, physics and biology, while scholars are obviously the teachers of the Empire.”
“I would like to believe we are the teachers of the High Caste, yes you are instructed by elders from your respective castes but it we scholars who teach you the basics, now the groups in the Medium Castes?”
“The medical, technical, artisan and administration castes,” answered the military boy next to young David, what his name again thought David, then he saw the clenched fist emblem on his collar, he must be a Yates, there was only one Yates his age, of course that must be Thomas. Looking at the two young men from the two most powerful military families, David noticed the differences, yes both of them were broad in the shoulder and were tall but it was the face, where the Wall genetics had led to softer features, the Yates had to lead to a hard features, the chin jutted out, the cheeks looked as they were made out of steel, the forehead was flat, so was the nose and those gleaming red eyes. David shuddered, the Yates were known for brutality, on board a Yates ship there was a 30% more casualties from punishment alone than on a normal ship.
Pride swelled up when he caught the crossed sword emblem on his own collar, correction not his collar but his younger self collar, he instinctively reached up to his own collar and felt it there, reminding him who he was.
“How can you tell the difference between a High Caste member and a Medium Caste member?”
“Simple, I have to kneel so as to keep eye contact with a Medium Caste.” Answered Yates again, drawing out chuckles from the military caste pupils, looking directly at Mr Neville David saw the frown barely perceptible under those wrinkles.
“Very droll Yates, but correct none the less, you will have all have realised that Medium Caste when fully grown never reach 2m in height and the lowest height recorded for one is 1.8m whereas a High Caste is always over 2 m in height reaching up to 2.5 m represented by the military caste which is the height of the Emperor personal Guard, now Yates I have looked at your bio readings and your going to have problems reaching 2.3m and the way the military run things all you’ll ever command is waste extraction on a on a scout ship let alone an Admiral class ship.” Replied Mr Neville, the room exploded with laughter, the red eyes glared with anger.
“You dare…”
“YES I DARE, I’M HIGH CASTE, AND I WILL NOT HAVE AN INSOLENT PUP ORDER ME AROUND, NO MATTER WHO HE IS AND WHAT HIS BACKGROUND!” shouted Mr Neville, striding up to Yates and before all pupils, threw him off the chair. Pupils scrambled out of the way of their flying comrade leaving him to crash into the table right behind, splintering away to land Yates on the floor.
There was murmuring from the pupils, hold on thought David, that’s weird all of us were shocked so where that murmuring coming from. One thing was clear he wasn’t alone…

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Chapter 4

The communications unit demanded the Admiral’s attention, caring nothing about whether or not he wanted to rest, after the fifth indignant ring, the Admiral slammed his fist on the unit, replacing the blank screen with Captain Yates’ face. There was some nervousness in his manner, the Admiral could sense it, no not sense it he could actually see it, there in those malicious red eyes, the usual cruel light in them was gone, he was afraid. That’s a first a Yates actually scared, the Admiral never thought he would ever see the day.
“Well Captain, are you going to stand there with your mouth open like a goldfish or are you going to deliver your report like a man?” enquired the Admiral, enjoying the moment.
“Sir, our sensors picked up an explosion directly ahead of us, we believe it was the rebel ship, they must have detected our increased speed and must have tried to do the same but overloaded their fusion reactors, the techs believe the most possible explanation is electromagnetic containment failure, the plasma stream then hit the side of the reactor and ripped through it…” started Captain Yates.
“I do know how the fusion reactors work and what happens when the containment fields field,” Interrupted the Admiral feeling irritated. “Is there any chance it could be another vessel or even an asteroid that they have destroyed to fool us?”
“Sir we are three hours out from the Scalton asteroid belt, and the asteroid belt is in its early formation stage so the asteroid field hasn’t spread that far out yet, and the chances of it being another ship is slim” replied Captain Yates.
“Bring aboard the debris, I want to know what happened, no theories, it’s the least we can do,” Ordered the Admiral.
“Yes sir, it will be done,” replied Yates, cutting off the communication. The Admiral slumped in his chair, cold sweat pouring down him. His nephew was dead, David was the closest thing he had ever had to a son and now he was dead. He had two other nephews but they never had David’s potential, at most they could be competent Captains but David he was expecting his commodore rank within the year, yes he wouldn’t have made admiral like he had done at the age of 40, the same year that David was born, a double blessing on the Wall family the birth of a healthy male baby and him being promoted to Admiral. Yes David had so much potential, only then did the Admiral feel the regret of not having his own son.

Yates switched the communications unit off, and turned to the helmsman. “Well you heard the admiral, bring us along the wreckage so we can tractor it aboard!”
“Yes Sir!” shouted the helmsman, instantly tapping at buttons that still astounded Yates with the ability of being able to make the ship move the way it does.
Glancing over at the man in orange overalls with disgust, “Now chief get your techs to go over every scrap inch of wreckage and don’t report to me until you have come to an conclusion on what happened.”
“Yes…” started the chief but was stopped when the Captain punched him straight in the mouth.
“I didn’t give you permission to speak and get off my bridge before you sully it with your worthless blood.” Said Captain Yates menacingly to the chief, barely in a whisper so that only he could hear the Captain’s words. “Trust me if there is even one drop, you’ll regret it.”
The chief kept immobilised by his glowing red eyes, Yates knew he could kill the chief there and then and the chief wouldn’t even flinch as it was done, his mouth watered at the thought, the power over these animals he had was delicious. On this ship he was God almighty himself, he could kill anyone and there would be no objection, they all knew their place and that was to fear him. Blood surging, he felt the temptation, to strike but control clamped down, he needed the chief for the time being, such a shame, I haven’t played in a while maybe after this mission. Breaking eye contact Yates turned his back on the chief and walked up to the observation level on the bridge where he could view the outside of the ship. Turning round to look at the stations he realised that the chief had already escaped. For now at least.

Those eyes, those blood red eyes held his attention, drawing him in, What was it about these Higher Caste that could freeze with you a stare, with some you felt honoured to be even glanced at, you were recognised for the work that you have done. While this one, Captain Yates he made you feel like you had been marked for elimination, damn it thought the chief why can’t I move my legs. Just as Captain Yates turned away, the Chief felt his breathing become more relaxed, like how a rabbit does when it realises that it will live another day.
Now is my chance to get away, thought the Chief, turning his back on the bridge he ran as quietly as he could for the doors not caring for the smirks on those High Castes, all he cared about was doing his duty.
Getting into the lift he punched the button for the hangar bay. The lift whirred down into the depths of the ship, heading towards the main hangar bay. The doors opened to reveal the biggest room in the entire ship, five miles long 200 metres wide and a 100 metres high, it was currently empty except for the occasional shuttle, here and there. It was a shame this place could hold five Kais cruisers, the mainstay of the Imperial fleet.
Walking towards the cart that he had left close to the lift when he was summoned to the bridge. Getting on, he put the speed up to the maximum setting; Of course he couldn’t do such a thing if they had those cruisers in the hanger, he sped himself away to the opposite end of the hangar where the tech quarters were stationed, with one end opening out to the hangar and the other on engineering. Right above their quarters was the Legion quarters and training areas; whenever a Legion was aboard they seemed to train all day and considering that even though every floor was reinforced only the decks where the senior officers were situated were soundproofed. It had never dawned on the troops in the legion that when you sleep right between the two noisiest places ever found on a ship then you learn to sleep through everything apart the call to stations of course.
Finding himself at journey’s end he stepped of the cart and rushed into the quarters, well he couldn’t complain, he was at least Medium Caste; at least they got some space to think in when you’re sleeping. Yes there might be 50,000 men on the ship but that wasn’t the entire crew Chief reminded himself. Those 50,000 men represented all the military caste that was on the ship, the men who were there to fly the fighters, man the batteries, the Marine Squads that protected the ship from boarding how many was that 5000 men. No there was more people on this ship than that it was closer to quarter of a million, the servants, the farmers, the munitions workers hell all of the lower Caste that was on the ship, the Chief stopped, only now had it dawned on him that he was part of the 200,000 men that everyone in the Higher Caste wanted to forget about.
Stop that thought the Chief, the fighter pilots recognise the work we do, the troops in the lower ranks recognise me and the work I do for the Empire. All humans have their place, it is our duty to do our jobs to the best of our abilities, remember Joe, the Chief thought to himself, you have been ordered to check that debris thoroughly and you will do it. Breathing slowly and calmly he walked into the tech quarters, the clamour quietened down as the techs recognised him in the dim light.
“Ok we are going to be bringing aboard wreckage a rebel ship, we are to treat this as a salvage operation, everything you notice gets catalogued, understand?” asked the Chief looking around at the other techs, they all nodded their assent. “Ok lets show these military men how to work hard.”
With that the techs hurried out, with smiles on their faces, grabbing the tools they would need on the way, the Chief nodded his approval they will do their duty as does every human being.

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Chapter 5

David found that as time passed that the pain from the light lessoned, he wasn’t sure if that was due to him becoming used to the effects or whether or not, half his nerves had been destroyed. That couldn’t be right; if his nerves were damaged he wouldn’t be able to move like he was used to.
What really puzzled David was what was happening, he couldn’t be dying, for surely the memories he relived would be in order and it would be from his point of view, instead of him as an outside observer, this had to be time travel but how hadn’t any noticed him. David had no answer to these questions for he wasn’t a scientist and even then research into time travel was prohibited.
Now that each transition wasn’t as painful, now it felt like only intense light on his skin, he realised that there was a few seconds grace before he found out where in his life he will be going to.
The light receded away to reveal a hospital room, this was weird David could never think of why he would be in a hospital his genetic coding ensured he was never ill and he had never been injured at all. Then he saw the woman on the bed with the babe suckling at her breast. The woman looked weary but proud, her luscious blonde hair was streaked in sweat, and then he saw those eyes, those sapphire eyes that she had blessed him with instead of the dull brown eyes of his father’s. Mother, but he had never been there when she had given birth to his brothers, and then the babe must be himself.
The door burst open and his father rushed through the door, joy on his face as he rushed toward the woman he loved, hugging and kissing her, he asked if she and the babe were ok. His mother nodded crying into his father shoulder.
“It’s over now, and we have son, a healthy boy that we can be proud of,” Whispered his father into his mother’s ear. “What shall we call him?”
“How about David?” asked his mother looking directly into her husband eyes, his father answered by gently kissing his mother’s forehead, and wiped away the tears on her cheek with his thumb.
David stepped forward to take a look at himself, red and tiny he was, strange to think that was him 40 years ago, a tear dropped onto the baby face, David looked up expecting to see his mother crying but instead it was father, silent tears running down his cheek as his son had grabbed hold of his finger.
The flash occurred again, this time there was sound around him, and it sounded like people were around him, but where were they, as David swung his body around in an attempt to discover the source of the sound. There a shape, I must reach it but as David tried to reach out with his arm he realised that he was being held back.
Forcing himself to move even an inch he collapsed to the ground, to find himself in front of the Emperor, desperately looking around he saw that he was indeed in the throne room. There ten feet ahead of him was himself, this was 15 years ago, when he was awarded…
Sure enough the Emperor was standing with the gold sword about to present it to his younger self who was kneeling before him, the Emperor dressed in the black uniform of the Imperial Fleet, a mountain of a man, he inspired loyalty in everyone who ever saw him, the perfect human, a living god some hailed him. The hair more golden than the gold coveted by Humanity’s ancestor’s but it was the eyes that was the most beautiful, they were just like liquid gold, seemingly shifting all the time, changing hue depending hue on the Emperor’s mood.
Most of the High Caste had the ability to keep a member of the much Lower Castes stuck to a spot with just an stare, pure animal magnetism the Scientists had explained, the appearance of a High Caste will make all of them silent, the second they were in eye contact it was said that the sheer joy of being recognised could mean that the said member wouldn’t move for days. Due to this the military caste who were the only High Caste to really mingle with the lower population all wore darkened combat goggles to avoid such things when surrounded by the lower Castes.
The Emperor towered over David, and when the Emperor motioned for him to rise; both stood up, the Emperor stared at the young David’s collar first and then the eyes and announced in a loud booming voice.
“There seems to be a mistake I requested an audience with Captain Wall, to be rewarded the Sword of the Empire for his honourable actions on the planet Graff, but a lieutenant stands in front of me, surely there some mistake?”
“Sire, I am he who you requested an audience with, I can’t explain why you thought me an Captain, maybe a clerical error!” replied the young David, upon which all the men in the hall burst out laughing, even the Emperor chuckled.
“You have forgotten a little thing about the award you are about to receive there is two conditions to be met.” Said the Emperor beaming down at the young David, putting his hand on David’s shoulder. “First they must perform an act of honour towards the Empire, which you have performed and secondly they must be a Captain, so before you can receive the sword I must give you this.”
And removing his hand from David’s shoulder to reveal the Brass Imperial Eagle upon his right shoulder instead of the two grey stripes that were originally on his shoulder, the Emperor then removed the other offending stripes from the left shoulder and replaced it with a brass Eagle.
“Sire, I don’t know…” started David.
“No need, I reward those who are loyal, nothing more and nothing less, and now it is time for you to receive this.” And upon that note the Emperor handed to David the gold sword with great care.
Looking back on the scene, David remembered the pride he had felt that day the pride his younger version must be feeling at this moment, this was the day that determined his future and a proud future it was.
As the Emperor left the room, the Admirals and the Generals that were friends of the Wall family surrounded his younger self, patting him on the back; the Yates camp quietly left the throne room. There was no love lost between the Yates and the Wall families, the feuding went back to the beginning of the Empire when the Emperor Kais had relied heavily on the Wall family to establish the Empire, and the Yates proud and arrogant suffered this as an insult created by the Wall family instead of the Emperor.
Only the Emperor stopped the feud from being nothing more than insults thrown at each other, and it was a good thing as no Family had the support needed to crush the other in one move, but if the Emperor decided that one family had overstepped the mark, then God help them they would be crushed mercilessly or be forced to run from the Empire and become rebels. Neither family would do that; they would stay their ground and be crushed in a hope of being remembered forever.
There was his Uncle, in about fifteen minutes they will be leaving Earth for the three month journey back to the sector of space the 1st Imperial Fleet was patrolling, three months to get here and the would only be on Earth for less than an hour, that was the Imperial Fleet for you, forever on the move.
There was that flash again, this was getting quite repetitive, he had to find out what was happening, maybe then this whole thing would stop and he will find himself in his own time.
Let’s hope that even though I haven’t been spotted by the people in the past for some strange reason, that I don’t leave an effect on my future. What are you thinking David, what impact has my life had on the Empire, it’s not like I have saved it from eminent destruction, all I have done in my life is keep order.
There he was again, but this time lying on a medical table, the room was quite plain, and at certain points along the wall were protrusions, where medical equipment will slide out and so forth.
The door opened and in stepped the medic, he walked over to one of the protrusions and placed his hand his hand on it, out of the wall slid a table and from the floor a block to sit on, tapping away at the table, the medic caused the air directly above the table to shimmer, obviously looking over my medical profile David thought. The medic muttering to himself as he looked at the holographic display suddenly tapped the table again, causing the hologram to vanish and the table to slide back into the wall.
Walking over to the table in the middle, he looked down upon the young David, not really that young thought David considering this only happened about five years ago. The younger David raised a hand to his head and started to groan, a brief smile touched the lips of the medic.
“Now Mr Wall!” said the Medic.
“I believe I’m a Captain in the Imperial Fleet, so I kindly ask for you to address me as such!” said the young David, his eyes flashing fiercely for a second at the medic, which calmed down as the medic took a step back and gathered himself.
“Of course Captain Wall, it is just a standard test, just to check that the memory block…”
“Memory block, what the fuck you’re talking about?”
“Well, the Admiral was concerned that your duties as an officer were being affected by certain memories, the psychiatric report showed that you have had trouble sleeping the past couple of months due to bad dreams caused by memories of the action on the planet Graff…”
“Everyone has bad dreams once in a while, doesn’t…”
“We have the right to treat you if those dreams cause you to collapse on the bridge, in front of the Admiral, he gave the order for you to undergo treatment, and I just obey orders like any ordinary Medium Caste does, if you have a problem take it to him.”
“I will.” With that the David on the table tried to sit upright but instantly groaned and fell back on to the bed.
“I should have mentioned that a side effect of the memory block is a headache, you shouldn’t move for the next hour as it will just antagonise it, as you have just experienced.”
“You sure, that you just didn’t hit me with a crowbar instead of a memory block.”
“It would be quicker but the Admiral insisted that the memory block will do.”
“Very funny, wait till I get my hands on you!”
“I doubt that you will remember me, oh and I must emphasise this, rest you will feel better in the morning if you do.”

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Chapter 6

The debris was scattered around a corner of the main hanger bay, techs out with their scanners were going over the debris so as to ensure that there wasn’t even one misplaced microbe on any of the debris.
The Chief looked on at in his opinion was the best piece of evidence, among the whole collection, there right in front of him was 15 feet worth of hull metal from the rebel ship, despite the fact that it had been ripped to pieces as if it was paper, and was riddled with holes, there was still part of a registration number.
“Janet, get your greasy butt over here this minute!” shouted the chief. A hundred metres away, a woman in the orange overalls of a tech stood up and walked towards the chief.
“What is this fascination of yours with my butt?” asked Janet, as she came over, the blonde hair pulled into a pony tail, those hazel eyes that kept the Chief attention for entirely different reasons compared to Captain Yates.
“Well considering that it belongs to me in the first place.”
“If it did, it would be on your body.”
“Remember I’m the Chief everything on this floor unofficially belongs to me.”
“Officially, we have a job to do at the moment.”
“Of course, make your report.”
“We have recovered 1000 tonnes worth of material, considering that the vessel has a reported weight of 1000000 tonnes…”
“So the ship is probably around 500 metre long then, there should be more material than we have, right people, I want possible explanations for why we barely have anything?”
“Surely the reactor just gave up, like you said to the captain!” said James, Janet’s younger brother.
“I just said that just to keep him happy as he wanted to hear a possible reason but I did say I would investigate, so what have we revealed?”
“There is one odd thing.” Replied Janet, looking over to James motioning for him to say his piece to the chief, for the next couple of second’s James shuffled nervously not sure where to look.
“Well?”
“Basically the hull is the wrong thickness” reported James.
“What do you mean?”
“I have just checked all the pieces and the thickness is 50 cm…”
“A cargo container, they dropped a cargo container and destroyed it to fool us into thinking that they were destroyed.”
“That the hypothesis.”
“Shit we have to get moving before they make their escape, get rid of all this stuff while I report to the Captain Yates.” With that the Chief turned and ran towards his office, closing the door boxing him in the cupboard of a room. Grabbing desperately at the communications unit he opened a line to the Bridge.
“Captain Yates, this is the Chief, the remains are from a cargo container it looks like we have been tricked…”
“It seems that this bunch of rebels are more cunning and it appears that your suspicions is correct the sensor officer has just made a report, it appears he held back the information that he thought he saw a spatial wake that could have been left by a ship but wasn’t sure and spent over an hour investigating, so don’t worry Chief today you live, as you obeyed orders unlike him who because of his incompetence meant that we are now delayed by an hour and have possibly lost the trail, I hope that all the debris is off the ship within 15 minutes as I hate to be delayed any further.” At which Captain Yates moved slightly to reveal the scene behind him, the view that the Chief got was unwholesome. It looks like the head was twisted off thought the Chief, the Chief suddenly found himself looking at the Captain, Captain Yates looking back with a slight upturn of the lips, the chief shuddered at that moment, he killed another high caste in open view of the whole bridge and he would wave it off as punishing a man for dereliction of duty. The screen went blank as the Captain cut off the communication leaving the Chief standing in his office dreading the future.

Cutting off the communication, Captain Yates turned round to stare at his latest conquest, there by his boot was the shocked expression of the chief sensor officer, and Yates spat at the head and walked away from the corpse. Bridge officers stood silently at their posts either staring at the slumped body or him. Basking in the attention Yates walked up to a crewman to see the crewman shift his attention back to the screen, a bead of sweat trickled down the crewman temple slowly towards that firm jaw. With his forefinger Yates slowly followed the path of that bead, his touch ever so slight was enough to make the crewman start to shudder. Suddenly the man jumped as Yates placed his hand on the crewman’s shoulder, looking around Yates noticed that most of the men were watching the hand.
“I think we have a job to do, and turn down the temperature a bit, this poor man is sweating.” Said Yates turning to look at the crewman catching his eye however unlike that medium caste scum like the chief and his techs, this man was able to stare back at him. Yes there was some fear but that was being clamped down now, the High Caste persona is reasserting itself again.
“Thank you Captain Yates, it is a sign of a great Captain that takes into consideration the wellbeing of the crew.” Replied the crewman, bowing towards him, Yates just smiled and walked off the bridge, five seconds later everything returned to normal as men turned back to their screens apart for one.
Shame, it was enjoyable to see the shock on those faces, they all had expected the officer to be dismissed and put to trial. Not executed on the spot by having his head ripped off with apparent ease. Yes thought Yates it might have looked easy, but it is only due to practise that I can do it, there was still a bit of resistance, I need to practise and just cause I promised him sanctuary for now doesn’t mean that the Chief won’t be involved. Oh yes, that man will be a glorious conquest he might be medium caste but he will put up a struggle and I love it when they struggle no matter how useless it is.
Yates thoughts were interrupted when he found that a Lieutenant was walking beside him, right next to the two grey strips denoting a Lieutenant was a crucifix badge. They silently walked together until they reached Yates quarters, as the doors slid back, Yates walks in and took his usual seat facing the door, quietly but assuredly the Lieutenant follows Yates into the quarters and seals the door behind them.

The door beeped signalling that someone was at the door, Admiral Wall looking at the clock knew who it was, pressing the a button on the desk, the doors slid way to reveal a crewman. The crewman walks in and sits down before the Admiral even offered for the man to sit down.
“Very unlike a member of the King family to break tradition, what happened on the bridge John, the crew has been awfully quiet?” asked the Admiral.
“Yates…” started the man.
“I take it you mean Captain Yates?” asked the Admiral intrigued.
“Of course I mean that bastard; you must have got the report that the rebels fooled us by blowing up a cargo container filled with scrap metal to fool us into thinking that their ship had been destroyed.”
“Of course, we would have to check no matter what, if there was no other evidence.”
“Well there was, the Chief Sensor Officer thought he detected a spatial wake but he wasn’t sure and spent over a hour making sure to confirm, ok the man was in the wrong but the way that Yates punished the man is just wrong.”
“I guess he didn’t send the man to a brig to await trial?”
“Of course not this is a Yates we are talking about but this one, Captain Thomas Yates; he is the worst one I have ever met. Most Yates will punish failure quickly and harshly using the fact that we are at war to justify it. Some are slightly honourable in that they will offer the man the chance to redeem themselves by committing suicide, did I say some there is only one Yates today that still prefers that method…”
“Ah, High Admiral James Yates, our Captain’s grandfather.”
“Yes but the recent rumour is that he close to death’s door despite our medical technology and that his son has taken over the duties as the family leader, some rumours suggest that he is even poisoning his father.”
“I wouldn’t be surprised considering that James is nearly 200 years old, Robert Yates must have start thinking that his father was immortal.”
“It looks like Robert has a much tighter control on the Yates family than James has ever had and it looks like his current political manoeuvres will mean he will achieve a place in the High Admiralty before you do.”
“So how did our Captain punish the chief sensor officer, then, was it the current favourite a gun to the head?”
“No.”
“What?”
“He ripped the guys head off.”
“What did you say?”
“He tore the chief sensor officer head off with his bare hands.”
“I don’t believe that.”
“Check the morgue, his body is still there.”
“How did the crew react?”
“Scared shitless, they weren’t expecting that, probably why he did it.”
“Where were you when this happened?”
“At a tactical console, he walked up to me, and place his finger on my face; he wiped a bead of sweat off it, clapped me on the shoulder and before he walked off the bridge he asked for the temperature to be put down as I was finding it too hot.”
“You sweating, I didn’t know you Scotians felt fear?”
“On my planet I have seen many things, we operate on survival of the strongest, there is a special lower caste on our world, they are trained not to fear death so that when we go into a training pit against them, that they will give us their all, three of my older brothers were killed in the training pits, I survived, in fact I have this nice scar as a memento.” With that John turned his head and pulled back his hair to reveal a scar where his ear should have been.
“I didn’t know that you were deaf?”
“I’m not deaf on that side, it is a lot worse but I can still hear on that side.”
“Why didn’t you receive surgery?”
“To remind me, not to let my guard down, a fitting memento as the wound came from a pit fighter I had believed was dead.”
“A good lesson for any man to learn, it has saved many a life.”
“Talking about that, I followed Yates back to his quarter; he was joined by a Lieutenant.”
“Do you know his name?”
“No I don’t, but I do know he's a Kirk.”
“How do you know?”
“I caught a glimpse of that crucifix badge that they favour.”
“What is the relationship between the Kirk and the Yates?”
“Distant cousins, maybe with Robert Yates becoming family leader he has tried to bring in the extended family under his control.”
“If he does that, where would it put the Yates as a power in the Empire?”
“Remember it doesn’t matter how many men he has in his command that we should worry about but how many are loyal, even if he was to get commanders who are loyal it never guarantees the loyalty of the troops.”
“You’re right; I’m worrying a bit too much aren’t I?”
“Don’t worry I’ll happily keep an eye on Captain Yates as I don’t trust him myself.”

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:14 pm

Chapter 7

David found himself standing on the observation deck of a way station, there was only one place he could be thought David, this is the Drake Way Station I’m closer to my present than ever. Standing to his left was himself staring out the window towards the gas giant that the station orbited. The planet had no official name but considering that there must be millions of worlds it was no surprise.
“Congratulations Commodore, this is a fine post to be given and to a man at your age it must be an honour.” Said the tall, lithe man standing behind the Drake Station David, the other David turned and stared at the other man, for a while taking in the white suit.
“I still have to wait for the official pres…” started David.
“The Grand Admiral presenting you with your rank is merely a formality, even though you still wearing those brass eagles of yours the soldiers will treat them as if they were silver.”
“Maybe your right Tiberius, it is just a formality.”
“Of course it is, don’t worry you won’t wake up and find that they change their mind and your still a captain of what is it now?”
“A Kais class destroyer, for years I served upon the Devastator, and dreamed about commanding such a ship and when I was 25, I was given command of a thousand marines on board the Devastator. Then when I was 35 I was awarded the Captaincy of the Terror, and for the last five years she has been my home. I’m a bit surprised that I was awarded this post, considering how little combat I saw while in command of her compared to some of the other captains that I could think.”
“A certain Captain Yates I presume?”
“Yes, he had just as much a right to be given command of the station and along with it the promotion as I was.”
“It sounds like you admire the man?”
“No, but he has obviously got battlefield experience which speaks for itself.”
“He is harsh on discipline!”
“So are all Yates and our two families might not get along but they are good soldiers.”
“Not all!”
“What do you mean?”
“Haven’t you heard?”
“What was I supposed to hear?”
“Remember Simon Yates?”
“Vaguely, he was a Lieutenant on the Devastator, commanded a company of soldiers down on Graff, like I did…”
“What do you remember about Graff?”
“Not a lot, remember there is a memory block about that campaign.”
“Of course, I forgot, well his company were pursuing rebels and they got ambushed, the entire company was slaughtered to a man apart from Simon Yates who ran from the field of combat…”
“How do you know that he ran from the scene of the battle?”
“Well considering that he was found two miles from the scene of the battle, leaving behind the company standard.”
“He left the company standard?”
“Aye, it was found defiled at the battle site, for that alone he deserved to die.”
“Who carried out the execution?”
“A guy called King.”
“Was this John King, by any chance?”
“Yes, do you know him?”
“Yes he is a friend of my uncle, a Nova Scotian by nature and Imperial Intelligence by nurture.”
“I know the type; always make me nervous when I see them!”
“Why I know you Tiberius, you have nothing to fear from Imperial Intelligence, I be forced to search the entire universe to find a man more loyal to the Empire!”
“You shame me with such praise, I am a scientist, who knew your dear mother, and she shattered many hearts when she married your father…” started Tiberius but stopped as he noticed the furrow on David’s forehead, “something wrong?”
“No just a vague feeling when you mentioned my father, I knew he was sent to Graff to ascertain if there was a rebel presence, no one knows what happened on Graff…”
“The problem is David is that you know much more about Graff than anyone else and that is blocked for whatever reason.”
“Surely you know more than that?”
“Only what you’ve been told that the memories of he campaign was starting to affect possibly the fact that you found…” stopped Tiberius for some reason, looking over to him, David realised that the man was nervous.
“Tiberius what did I find, please tell me.”
“All right, at the end of the battle you got separated from the rest of the forces, you ended up at the governor’s palace where you found your father’s body.”
“Why didn’t anyone tell me?”
“Cause you knew this originally but it was driving you mad with all those nightmares that is why you had the memory block, no one mentioned this to you after the block in case you suffer a relapse.”
“Relapse, I thought memory block were perfect?”
“There is a 1% chance of the subject overriding the block and remembering what was blocked.”
“And what happens then?”
“There is no then, the subject is driven insane.”
“Insane but the genetic law…”
“David I know the law, yes if it happened you would be terminated, trust me it won’t happen to you, I will take all measures to make sure that you reach that altar…”
“Thank you Tiberius.”
“No need, my daughter would kill me if for some reason you escaped the wedding…”
“Escape, why would I escape, I love Helena.”
“David relax, I know you do.”
The two men turned to stare out the window, looking over that gas giant, in the far corner was the cargo ship, if only I could warn them of the doom that approached them thought the two hour older David, only two hours separate me from this man and how naive he is, sure the war with the rebels has been going on for years but surely the rebels will lose as all they can do is hit small outposts and undefended cargo routes, the rebels wouldn’t attack a military re supply post like the Drake way station, with hundreds of ships visiting it a month that what that man thinking right now, I should know I thought that two hours ago at that very spot.
“Ah David here comes a cargo hauler, it’s quite interesting to watch something as normal as a docking procedure, it makes you think of simpler times,” said Tiberius looking at the cargo ship a collection of rectangular container connecter to an engine section.
“If you say so,” replied the unaware David, “hey are my eyes deceiving me or is that cargo container just open.”
“Yes it did, what is that?”
“Weapon platform,” said the two David’s at the same time, just as there was a flash from the cargo ship, the station rocked as the missile barrage hit it.
“Where the returning salvo from us?” asked the panicking David.
“Our weapons have been sabotaged.” Said the calm David, just then a pylon broke lose heading towards Tiberius, but there was a flash before it connected.

“How long has it been?” asked David not expecting an answer to come, for all he could know this was death, no light but no pain either like earlier just a lightness quality as if he had no body left, softly sound poured over him totally random and ambiguous until he could hear the soft throb of a power core like a voice it spoke to him, no someone is speaking to me.
“Ah you’re awake, that good I thought you might never wake up.” Said Tiberius, looking down at him, no he was staring at his forehead only then did David register the subtle pressure of a bandage, looking down he saw that Tiberius’ sleeve was soaked with blood.
“Tiberius, are you ok?”
“I’m fine, it’s you that I’m worried about, pushing me out the way and taking the pylon, it could have killed you.”
“Well I’m alive.”
“You have been out of it for five days now, I dragged you to an escape pod, and we were lucky as our escape pod launched the station was caught in a massive explosion, I think the rebels launched an entire cargo container worth of nuke at the station to finish it off.”
“Do you think anyone else escaped?”
“Not on the lower levels, massive hull breaches, the middle levels escape pods half of them were trashed, we were lucky to find one, don’t know about the upper levels.”
“So we could be the only survivors.”
“It’s is possible, that no one on our side even realises that we survived.”
“Then who picked us…”
“Yes, we are now prisoners of war.”
“We have to escape.”
“I agree but I don’t know how.”
“Don’t worry I’ll find us a way.”

kknd2

Post by kknd2 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:58 pm

wow, that is one seriusly control heavy empire...

on the other hand, I am in favor of strong government.

still a cast system is a little extreme for my taste.

gotta agree with the Emperor on time travel though, to much of a danger.

somehow it seems like the last days of a great empire before it self destructs into civil war.

oh, and Yates is seriusly nutz, nice work on the psycology there, we dont need to know why he sees them that way, only that he does. all too often writers (IMHO) take the time to explain why they are that way, when all that matters for the plot is that they are.
The Liir says the glass is half full.
The Hiver says the glass is half empty.
While they argue about it, the Zuul comes along, drinks what's left, and removes all doubt. - KKND2

LordD

Post by LordD » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks for your view, hope you enjoy the story as it unfolds

Lord D

Muzzy

Post by Muzzy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:43 am

Okay, I've read through the first few paragraphs, and I'd suggest going back through and tightening up the grammar and formating. Its nothing too bad, it just comes across as stilted to me.

There appears to be some confusion with perspective. The narration seems to be third person omniscient, however it occasionally seems to slip into the first person.

I'd also suggest switching to the present tense, at least for the parts I've read.

For example:

Marching down one of the many corridors on the ship, Lieutenant Wall’s eyes stared straight ahead, never glancing at the many wall displays that littered these corridors. Blinking lights attempted to capture the Lieutenant attention but he steadily marched on.

Steps echoed back to Wall’s ears, this is one of the things he hated about the ship every sound echoes in the corridors, always sounded like someone was walking behind you, always gave Wall the chills to think about it.
Hell considering what had just happen a couple of hours ago; he wouldn’t be surprised if ghosts would be following him for years to come. When that thought entered his head Wall quickly glanced behind to have a quick check.

vs.

Marching down one of the many corridors on the ship, Lieutenant Wall’s eyes stare straight ahead, never glancing at the many wall displays littering the corridor. Blinking lights attempt to capture the Lieutenant's attention but he steadily marches on.

Steps echo back to Wall’s ears. One of the things he hated about the ship; every sound echoes in the corridors. It always sounded like someone was walking behind you. Always gave Wall the chills to think about it.
Considering what had happened a couple of hours ago he wouldn’t be surprised if ghosts would be following him for years to come. With that thought Wall quickly glances behind to have a quick check.

Verbreiten Sie bösartig Glee

LordD

Post by LordD » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks for the advice

Lord D

Return to “Fiction”