EoF language option

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, motorbit, castewarkp, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
NoDMoD

EoF language option

Post by NoDMoD » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi there,

changes look awesome!

But... is there any way to switch it from german back to english?

Did you use google for translations? (no offence). But survey in german means something completely different, than "umfrage". Umfrage is "a" survey (like in asking people). It would rather be "System untersuchen". Hope you don't mind my honest critique.

And all "Äs" and "Ös" are pictured as "?". just saying.

Great job on this stuff though, can't wait to play tomorrow!!!!!! THANKS to all of you! :yell:

Nspace
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Re: EoF language option

Post by Nspace » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:52 pm

From here:

castewarkp wrote:My apologies - this is an artifact of locking down the localized version that I didn't think you'd see. I will be defaulting everything back to English in an update shortly. Moving ahead, it will switch to German, but with a option to play English.
In the meantime, if you delete the DE locale folder or copy the EN locale contents into the DE folder, you should be fine.
"Quando omni flunkus, mortati" - "When all else fails, play dead"
SotS 1 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots1/Main_Page
SotS 2 wiki: http://wiki.swordofthestars.com/sots2/SotS2_Codex

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:58 pm

NoDMoD wrote:Did you use google for translations? (no offence). But survey in german means something completely different, than "umfrage". Umfrage is "a" survey (like in asking people). It would rather be "System untersuchen". Hope you don't mind my honest critique.

We can take no offense, as we did none of the translation - it was done by whomever Paradox hired. As we don't read German, we have to take it at face value. It's not impossible that the company misunderstood the use of Survey in this case.

That said, that translation was done a long time ago - SotS2 has expanded quite a bit since then. I am working on a way to crowd source the localizations, as the resources to catch-up DE and RU are slim to none, and the resources for other languages is none. Once that's rolling, your interpretation feedback will be extremely helpful.

zerogoki

Post by zerogoki » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:14 pm

castewarkp wrote:
NoDMoD wrote:Did you use google for translations? (no offence). But survey in german means something completely different, than "umfrage". Umfrage is "a" survey (like in asking people). It would rather be "System untersuchen". Hope you don't mind my honest critique.

We can take no offense, as we did none of the translation - it was done by whomever Paradox hired. As we don't read German, we have to take it at face value. It's not impossible that the company misunderstood the use of Survey in this case.

Well than I would say Paradox should fire the guy. Because his german is ever worse than yours.

Thought the "ä", "ö" and "ü" getting replaced by "?" is probably something that is your job to fix. Really poeple why does this still happen on internationally sold games. If your game can't support the entire alphabeth of a language, you should't bother with translating anyways.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 pm

probably for the same reason people think behaving without manners gets them better service. Its a strange world sometimes.

NoDMoD

Post by NoDMoD » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:12 am

castewarkp wrote:

That said, that translation was done a long time ago - SotS2 has expanded quite a bit since then. I am working on a way to crowd source the localizations, as the resources to catch-up DE and RU are slim to none, and the resources for other languages is none. Once that's rolling, your interpretation feedback will be extremely helpful.

Since I have two professionals translators in my family and I speak 8 languages myself, I offer to translate all the stuff for free! If you want proper terms and words, let me know, I would be happy to help :)

Vijec

Post by Vijec » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:56 am

NoDMoD wrote:Since I have two professionals translators in my family and I speak 8 languages myself, I offer to translate all the stuff for free! If you want proper terms and words, let me know, I would be happy to help :)

Take this guy and let him do it!
Really, I switched back to English within the first two minutes... hate to see all the ??? And at least the different map descriptions aren't translated at all.
If you've payed for this, try to get your money back :twisted:

Perhaps you could create some sort of sub-forum for translations so that native speakers can help and discuss appropriate translations?
e.g. I would translate "Survey" to "Erforschen". It's as short as survey and I would know, what it may do :angel:

fdlu

Post by fdlu » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:01 pm

castewarkp wrote:

I am not sure if this is helpful or can be done at all (as I have YET to play the game and do not know how large the complete text is) but as an idea to a possible approach to "crowd source the localizations".

Set up a sub-forum like "SotS2-Translation" with the most requested and / or feasable languages (maybe only DE/RU at first). Subdivide the translations into chunks like event-weapon-map-sections ..and so on descriptions/tooltips/ encyclopedia paragraphs. Post these "little chunks of text" as threads/ in this sub-forum. 1st person which is willing can try to translate with quote and his translation (2nd post in thread). after this say 5-10 (native) language speakers can accept or reject this translation.
if accepted as passable the thread is closed, the translation is collected and used. the thread will be deleted and a new one is posted.
if rejected the 2nd+ posters are deleted and a new translation is attempted until accepted.

Just an idea.....

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 am

2fdlu
There already was one time when DE Manual (IIRC) was translated using Google Docs. It was much easier to sync result that way.

2caste
waiting a go on that :)
I know - ru folks keep asking

kenshiro

Post by kenshiro » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Any chance to have a French translation of the game ?

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:58 pm

You could first use an automatic translator. The results will suck, but for someone not understanding English at all, it will be better than nothing. And I've found Google Translate to be pretty good nowadays (though for coherent text only probably, not so much for isolated terms).

Garfield78

Post by Garfield78 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:24 am

If you need more native german speaker to translate the game I volunteer ...
All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed

kenshiro

Post by kenshiro » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 am

Ok guys I just made a french translation and this have a good taste . 8)
My friends who don't anderstand anything in english are very happy to play the game for the first time so I have only one problem:
Each Time we have an update the string get back in english and this is the five Time I made the translation :x
This took me 2 or 3 days each time to make it so is it possible for kerb to not replace the string just make a fusion When update is coming ? ( this is just a question ,do not take any offense I'm not a professionnal :noid: I don't know if its possible)

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm

used WinMerge to compare changes in response to updates

Ta traduction m'intéresse fortement, je voulais le faire mais la taille m'en a découragé, peux tu m'envoyer ta trad par mail ? elminsterATelminster-fr.com

kenshiro

Post by kenshiro » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Ok I found a good solution so if someone are interested for a french translation let me know here and I give the string fr . :P

Return to “Localization”