Community translation project: German

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, castewarkp, motorbit, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
Ixal

Community translation project: German

Post by Ixal » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:42 pm

motorbit:
ok, i capture this post because its outdated and needs to be edited.

the Document where any volunteer can paticipate with the translation is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... yWnc#gid=0

this is how we do it:

untranslated strings are red
if you touch any string make it yellow. always. even if you only change a single character.
strings translated and syncronized with the read-only document are green
if you think a translation sucks, make it purple

general translation guidelines:
any work should be done with respect to what the devs intended with the original, thous we want to acchive a translation that is as close to the original as possible.
however, especially with the longer strings, a 1:1 translation is not always the best translation. acessability is the key here, and sometimes its better to add something to or removing something from the translation if this aids the perceivability.

official document (read only)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kVTb3JMWXc

this document contains a lot of translation done by the paradox folks. these translations usualy suck hard. therefore, you may use them as an inspiration, but do not just copy and paste them.

use this topic to discuss any translation you have problems with. please keep the discussion english however (if you want to translate from english to german, your english should be sufficient to do so, and this will allow the kerberos guys to see what is going on here)

motorbit

Re: Community translation project: German

Post by motorbit » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:53 pm

a good translation for relex furnace could be "Reflex Brennkammer" i think.

Arcteyr

Post by Arcteyr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 am

I think we should establish whether to address the player with "Sie" or "Du". Otherwise it might result in a lot of mixed entries. I vote for "Sie" to create a little bit more immersion. "Du" always gives me the feeling that the game does not take me all that seriously. Keep it going ;).

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 am

motorbit wrote:a good translation for relex furnace could be "Reflex Brennkammer" i think.

"Reflex-Brennkammer" or "Reflexbrennkammer", if that. Though i don't think "Brennkammer" quite fits.
I don't think a direct translation will work for this one.
Arcteyr wrote:I think we should establish whether to address the player with "Sie" or "Du". Otherwise it might result in a lot of mixed entries. I vote for "Sie" to create a little bit more immersion. "Du" always gives me the feeling that the game does not take me all that seriously. Keep it going ;).

Definitely the formal "Sie". The player is the leader of a stellar empire, after all.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Möbius

Post by Möbius » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:45 am

"Reflex Brennkammer" would be funny, but i think "Reflex Reaktor" would fit better.

Other question, in the german translation of Sots Prime, the Node Drive was called, "Gravitationspunkt-Antrieb", should we use Node-Drive (Node-Antrieb) or the old "Gravitationspunkt-Antrieb" as translation?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 am

I don't think it is possible to translate node drive and not have it sound stupid. Better to just come up with a new term based on how it works.
You have to keep in mind that it isn't done with just finding a proper term for Node Drive, there's also Nodespace, N-Pathing, Node Missiles, Node Maw... all of those have to work somehow.
Not really having any good ideas right now, sadly.

"Gravitationspunkt-Antrieb" rather sounds like a Morrigi drive to me, though.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:27 am

I dont like Knotenpunktantrieb neither. Sprungantrieb sounds fine for me, a direct translation would be awkward.

now, how do we translate "mount"? i think it could be either Aufhängung or Lafette. i would vote for Lafette.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:06 am

Möbius wrote:"Reflex Brennkammer" would be funny, but i think "Reflex Reaktor" would fit better.

im quite opposite oppinion, yet i agree:
i think brennkammer would be closer to the original, but i think your reaktor sounds better.
id vote for reactor, but i think it should be decided by the devs.

i contacted castewarkp about the node drive and reflex furnace translation, so kerbeos can decide with translation they want.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Dan87 wrote:Geschützturm?

No, that would be a turret. "Gestell", "Halterung" or "Lafette" would work best, i think, although "Lafette" is usually a transportable mount for only a single weapon.

On that note, i think it would make more sense to talk about the size of mounts instead of their weight.

Dan87 wrote:RAs for the whole BattleRider stuff I used the following conventions:

Battlerider -> Kampfschiff
Battlecruiser -> Kampfkreuzer
Battleship -> Grosskampfschiff

"Großkampfschiff" is far to generic, that term is normally used for all big ships.
I'd suggest starting at "Kampfboot" and putting "Kampfschiff" last.

SDBs i'd just call "Systemschnellboot"(technically it should be "Systemverteidigungsschnellboot" but good look fitting that into the UI). If you ever need an arbitrarily long word, use german.

Beamers might also be a problem. "UV-Strahler" is something i'd expect in a solarium, not on a battleship. Similarly for "Röntgenstrahler", that's a tool for doctors.
Last edited by Azrael Ultima on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:24 pm

keep in mind, not every word has to be translated in scifi...
like i would vote to keep flicker warp. the meaning should be clear even for the most unadept with the english language, and the translation indeed sounds awkward.

"Lafette" is usually a transportable mount for only a single weapon.

lafette is also the military word for a mount on a war ship.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:15 pm

I can't agree with that. The meaning would be rather unclear to those not particulary adept at english, especially if they try to understand it with the usual tools for such purposes.
Or would you have the slightest idea what a stammer cove is?

Though due to Star Trek, most people would probably understand "Warp" as some kind of FTL drive, so we can probably keep that word.

"Lafette" does have the significant disadvantage of not being applicable to modules.
Dan87 wrote:I would suggest Röntgenpulslaser and Röntgenlaserstrahl & UV-Pulslaser and UV-Laserstrahl?

Yeah, that would probably work better. On second thought, either drop the "strahl" or put it before the Laser. (i.e. "Röntgen-Strahllaser". Definitely put a dash before the Strahl in that case, it's not a Röntgenstrahl-Laser, after all. Whatever a Röntgenstrahl is.)

And I think the sections and engines will be a much tougher issue. For example, I wouldnt like to drive with a Stottermotor/Stotterantrieb or Flackerantrieb.
That would make me feel uncomfortable. ;p I would go with a naming convention that is based on what the engine does opposed to what the effect looks like i.e. the warpdrive wraps the space and the liirian drives makes millions of microtelepotations per second, so perhaps we could go with Mikroteleportationsantrieb which could be shortened to MTP-Antrieb to fit into the boxes and the flickerdrive would become the Verbesserte Mikroteleportationsantrieb or Verb. MTP-Antrieb. Just a thought.

Now that sounds like a very short ranged drive.

I don't really see the problem with "Flimmerwarp", "Flickerwarp" or "Flackerwarp", only "Stotterwarp" sounds like something rather unhealthy. W-w-w-warp.
Maybe we should just use Flimmer- for one and Flicker- or Flacker- for the other.(But not Flicker- and Flacker-, that would be to confusing)

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

"Lafette" does have the significant disadvantage of not being applicable to modules.

yeah, so dont use it for modules?
its about the light mouts, medium mounts etc.
leichte lafette would be a correct translation, and as lafette is used for weapon mounts on ships, i think it realy would be the best word to be used here.

Möbius

Post by Möbius » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:42 pm

"Flackerwarp" (for the Fusion era) and "Flimmerwarp" (for the Antimatter era) would get my vote for the Liirian Drive translations, as these are in my opinion the nearest to the English names. (also the change from "Flackern" to "Flimmern" suggest an increase in the amount of Teleportations done per second, without just using the adjective "verbessert(er)", what i find nice) .The Curvature Compensating Flicker Warp could become the "Krümmungskompensierender Flimmerwarp" or KK- Flimmerwarp.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:25 pm

I think "Raumkrümmungskompensierender Flimmerwarp" or "RK(K)-Flimmerwarp" would be more likely.

Hivers. Should they stay the same or should they be localised? What's your opinion? I think SolForce should be left as-is, but i'm unsure about our buggy friends.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:48 pm

"Kurvatur" exists, but doesn't have the same meaning as curvature. I don't see the practical use of compensating minor arching in straight edges of buildings for a drive system.

I wouldn't change Warp drive simply because most people will probably understand that quite easily due to popcultural osmosis. "Verzerrungsantrieb" would be more confusing in this case. Besides, the previous level is the Hyperdrive. I think it's more sensible to stay consistent with the source here.

"Sol-Streitkräfte" would be SolForces. Just take it as a company name, the main language for human empires is english, after all. All other faction names are descriptive.

Return to “Localization”