Community translation project: German

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, castewarkp, motorbit, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
Azrael Ultima

Re: Community translation project: German

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Eclipse = "Überschatten"? "Verdunkelung" doesn't really tell you what's going on.

I don't really like the blast missiles, but dan's proposals are even worse, and Reflex Warheads are explicitly described as adding a reflex furnace to the missile, so i see no reason to change them.

FTL, ÜLG, SAL... in the end, the acronym has to be explained either way, so it doesn't matter.

Flag Central Command opens up the flagship section, so i'd prefer "Flaggschiffsysteme". "Flaggkommandozentrale" is a bit unwieldy and to long, in my opinion.

I'd go for "Phantom" or "Gespenst". "Schemen" is something you can barely see, not necessarily a ghostly being. Out of the options, i'd consider it the least scary.
Spectres are perfectly visible.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:Eclipse = "Überschatten"? "Verdunkelung" doesn't really tell you what's going on.

yeah, could work.
but: direct translation would be verdunkelung, and eclipse neither directly tells whats going on. its just the name of the tech...
maby this is another case where the best translation is no translation. eclipse is a latin word again, after all.

Sazuroi

Post by Sazuroi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Eclipse is however a word that can be used in a political context, so is "Überschatten", at least in my opinion. "Die größeren Mitgliederstaaten der EU überschatten kleinere Mitglieder.", sound about right to you? "The larger member states of the EU eclipse the smaller ones."

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:05 pm

makes sense.

Sazuroi

Post by Sazuroi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:30 pm

I was thinking a bit, and maybe it would be better to create a whole new logic to retain the evolution "Protectorate", "Incorporate", "Occupy", "Annex", "Eclipse". I was thinking along the lines of "Angliedern", "Einbürgern"/"Integrieren"(Integration is currently the common word for that, after all), "Besetzen", "Unterwerfen"/"Einbürgern"(The research seems to refer to conquered Alien populations, but I'm still a bit ambigous on how to translate it. Both of these are placeholders), "Überschatten". Right now, the strings are all over the place, while in english they're nice and ordered and all one-word explainations, like Buzzwords. I think that can be done in german to, like I did with the "-n" endings. Let me mull over it a little more if you want me to make a suggestion for the en-bloc translation.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:40 pm

Protectorate = "Protektorat"
Incorporate = "Eingliedern"/"Eingliederung"
Occupy = "Besetzen"/"Besetzung"
Annex = "Annektieren"/"Annektion"

They all have fairly straightforward meanings.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Möbius

Post by Möbius » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 pm

My favourites (after playing through everyting):

Gravitationspfad/linie as a general name for both Human and Zuul Node Lines. And Tunnelraum as a name for Nodespace

Human:

General Drive name -> Bruchlinienantrieb

Node Focusing -> either Bruchlinienfokussierung (near the original techname) oder Bruchlinienantrieb (to have the actual drive name as a tech)

Node Pathing -> Tunnel Pfadoptimierung

MicroNode Drive -> Mikro Bruchlinienantrieb

Node Maw -> Tunnelschlund bzw. maul

Node Missile -> Bruchlinienrakete

Zuul:

General Drive name: Risslinienantrieb

Rend Drive -> Risslinienatrieb: Zerreißer

Radiant Drive -> Risslinienatrieb: Schlitzer/Zerfetzer

Star Tear -> Sternenriss

(I mixed up the words Pfad, Linie and Tunnel, as in my opinion all three are a equal good translation for Node(line). And sometimes one word sounded better than another word. (Pfad Pfadoptimierung kinda silly)).

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:47 pm

i think these are the most difficult strings to translate.
we have a lot of ideas already, and i do not think we need to force it now.
untill we have a mindblowing inspiration, im perfectly fine to delay this decission untill were done with the rest of the translation, and then make a poll to come to a conclusion.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:14 pm

I don't quite understand why you keep putting "Riss(linien)antrieb" in front of the Zuul drives. They arent Rip Drive: Rend/Radiant in english, either. It really just makes the name longer for no practical gain.

I also don't think it's necessary to differ between SolForce and Zuul node drives to the point you do. Both are acknowlegded as being node drives in the game.

On to other problems. Anybody got an idea what to call the various managers? "Manager" in german doesn't quite mean the same thing. Perhaps "xverwaltung" where x is the object to be managed? I.e. "Flottenverwaltung", "Planetenverwaltung" etc.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:19 pm

verwaltung could work. but then, planetenmanager would be fine as well.

btw, ive rewritten the op of this topic. contains proably little new information for these of you that help the project since the start, but it should provide a better entry point for new volunteers now.

Möbius

Post by Möbius » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:35 pm

The actual name for the Human Drive is "Node Drive". The name for the Zuul Drive is "Rip Drive", i think we should try to replicate this difference with our translations.

Putting Riss(linien)antrieb in front of the Zuul drive technolgys followed by the names for the Tunneling ships is to circumvent the fact, that something more vicious than Riss is hard to find in my opinion (Radiant Drive -> Glänzender Antrieb sounds silly in my ears). By using the name of the drive and than adding the name of the tunneling ship this problem is solved (not very good but ok in my opinion).

Also support motorbits suggestion to continue and end this discussion after everything else is translated, with a poll.

Manager -> Verwaltung would also get my support.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:26 pm

what do you think about Laserschlagrakete for Blast Beam Missile und Lasersturmrakete for Blast Storm Missile?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 pm

I don't know about "Laserschlag" but i do like "Lasersturm". It should be "Flugkörper" for all missiles, however, not "Rakete".

There's a huge number of names towards the end of the list that really can't be translated since they aren't in any human language. I'd also vote to leave all human ship names unchanged since they all refer to some real ship of that name.

Different question, what to make of The Black? While the literal translation would work, i don't think it has the right ring to it.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:54 am

yeah, the vast majority of the solforce ships should be yellow already, and stay untranslated. any name that is an original name should be stay original.

for the black, i think around this lines: its a translation from liir to english. its not the original name of him, so we too should translate it. same with the other names that are translations from their original language to english, like the many hiver queen names for excample.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 am

Oh, i wasn't suggesting not translating him. "Der Black" would just sound silly, "The Black" would look out of place.

I just don't think "Der Schwarze" quite captures the feeling right, not to mention it sounds kind of racist.

Return to “Localization”