Community translation project: German

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, castewarkp, motorbit, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
motorbit

Re: Community translation project: German

Post by motorbit » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 am

i think "der schwarze" will work fine.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:35 pm

regarding flugkörper vs rakete:

please do not take this just as an offense against you. i appriciate your help and i see your intention to improve the translation. but i realy would appriciate if you start a discussion here if you have such a suggestion, instead of just jumping ahead changing all translations. this would show a minimum respect for other oppinions and also show that you at last consider it as possibility that others may disagree with you.

as it stands, i dont think its a good idea to change all rakete for flugkörper. i think it is a good idea to do so in some cases, where else we had the inflationary use of the same word over and over again. but everywhere, i dont think its a good idea to change a perfectly fitting and short word against a longer, more complicated word for no other reason then it sounds more sophisticated. trying to be oversophisticated rearely acchives the intended goal.

Sazuroi

Post by Sazuroi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Hm, I think "Der Dunkle" would capture the implication of something dark, yet rather impassive or "cold" than aggressively menacing better than "Der Schwarze", in keeping with him personifying space to the Liir, they call space "the Black Sea" or something as I recall. Too bad The Black has a male persona, "Die Dunkelheit" would also work out nicely in my opinion, for the same reasons. To elaborate, from what I understand about the Liir is that they are afraid of space, but not or not only because of the various threats that dwell there, rather than the notion of space as an empty, hostile place only the dead (the Black Swimmers) can, or should endure.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Anybody got an Idea for Gem Worlds? I think "Schmiedewelt" works just fine for Forge, but "Juwelwelt" sounds a bit forced.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:59 pm

schmiedewelt would work. still maby we can find something better? Produktionswelt, or Industriewelt would sound less forced in my ears.

gemworlds are indeed more difficult. the direct translation indeed sounds awkward. maby Gartenwelt?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Well, they have a tendency to have 0 biosphere, so that might be a little confusing.

Maybe something referring to their high population, but i can't think of anything right now.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:28 pm

in my games, overpopulation consumes ressources. not biosphere.

other idea: paradieswelt

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:43 pm

"Paradies(welt)" could work.

But yes, overpop consumes biosphere. You need to go over 1 billion for this(so it won't happen on planets of size 5 or less), but it does happen, and it definitely happens on gem worlds.

Does anybody know what the german term for a wing is? (As in "a wing of battle riders", not "a bird's wing")

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:05 pm

You need to go over 1 billion for this(so it won't happen on planets of size 5 or less)
quite sure this is not true.
i do not have a save to check if a gemworld would make a difference, but the size of the world alone sure does not, nor is there this 1billion treshhold.
but, this is offtopic here.
Does anybody know what the german term for a wing is?

geschwader

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 pm

well, its obvously some scifi stuff going on there. gem doesnt realy sound like slum to me.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:37 pm

You have to remember that people go there willingly. Besides, Earth already houses 7 billion and technically we still have (quite a bit of) room left.

I doubt it's meant as "slum worlds".

DeKa

Post by DeKa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:21 pm

"flugkörper" could also be "lenkwaffe" or "Lenkflugkörper"

like a "lenkwaffenträger" usually means a missile cruiser, while a missile cruiser might be translated as "raketenkreuzer"

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Dan87 wrote: It would go more into the direction of Stadtplanet like Coruscant from Star Wars

i would go more into the direction of gemworld, from sots2. :-p
i bet there is much more to a gem world then just a lot of houses. that would not require all that overdevelopement neither.
im pretty sure its about giving all the many people a reason that they want to live there in the first place...
we realy should try to capture the spirit of gem, even if we do not translate it directly.

Sazuroi

Post by Sazuroi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:53 am

I think being a macroengineering project, the Gem Worlds excavate large areas to make them habitable. Even Earth itself on the Sotsverse map is a size 10 planet with a maximum of 3 Billion inhabitants, except if you overdevelop it, too. So, some change must have happened in the standards of living, since it is quite strange in the first place that less than half as many people as there live on Earth today have such an environmental impact. Especially considering such a reduced population would reduce the strain on resources and the biosphere in the first place, so 2 or 3 Billion for a planet the size of Earth would hardly make a difference. Not a difference that would drain resources at a much larger rate than it happens today, since even with much more advanced technology the demands won't increase so much that it drains the resources of something that entirely consists of resources. What are Sots-Resources even? And why can't they be recycled, even though there are technologies to do so with starships?
Also, I'm rambling. It's utterly pragmatic mechanics, who am I trying to fool.
Gem Worlds: "Wohnwelten" (Heh, sounds like from an advertisement) or "Siedlungswelten". Alternatively, we could go with the assumed (read: only sensible) intention of having a Gem World, trade. So, "Handelswelten", even though I'd like to use a different word. Also, we could use "Planet" instead of world, while the use of "world" for planets exists in German as well, it would open up some more options, like "Wohnplanet". This, in my opinion, transmits the feeling of having a whole planet makroengineered to sustain a larger population better.
Another note, Biosphere is Biodiversity for all I know, a Gem World may as well look like a giant garden (hence the Morale Bonus), but the necessity of large-scale agraric production and disease prevention may lead to an extreme reduction in Biodiversity to suit the needs of the population, though how this is happening on a world still less populated and more advanced than Earth, which is therefore capable of a lower environmental impact, is still beyond me.

For Forge Worlds, we could go for "Industriewelten" or "Industrieplaneten", or we could foster a pattern, as in the two concepts being sides of the same coin, with using more closely associated terms. In case of "Fabrikplanet", "Wohnungsplanet", for example, though there are better alternatives.
To preclude the critique I faced last time with this kind of suggestion, internal consistency is as important as accurate translation when localizing a whole text, and the English terms have a relation on the level of Gem - naturally grown, but cut to be more appealing; Forge - place of artificial origin and purpose, at the very least. Gem Worlds are, at least in their infrastructure, solid-state, while Forge worlds can funnel their whole production into specific puposes, and building entirely different types of weapons and starships would demand different machines as well, which makes the planetary infrastructure highly flexible, as to alter between dedicated Leviathan building and mass production of Riders, to give an example. Another relation of the two concepts is the predominance of either Imperial or Civilian population, which means a difference between either a military-dominated society or a civilian society, the difference between the utmost dedication to the purpose of warfare and the predominant denial or distance from warfare in favor of trade and local peace. I imagine it to be very easy to forget all the horrific space wars going on when you live on a planet engineered to your needs, with a large population that has no however remote part in warfare. To elaborate, I consider Imperial population to encompass everybody who has any dealings with the military at all, while soldiers are only a small part of it. A Billion soldiers on a world with no more than three billion inhabitants is even more ridiculous than a world needing planetary-scale engineering to be inhabited by as many people as there are today. Especially considering even Leviathans barely hold 1000 crewmembers.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:26 am

A gem world is a super-city. These are extremely urbanized, heavily populated planets.

There are certainly parks and gardens, but the bulk of the planet's surface will be populated and completely tamed by your people. There will be very little unsettled or wild space, nothing uncivilized, nothing left to itself.

Depending on whether you love cities and all they have to offer or not, a gem world can either be a paradise--or a hell.

Joss Whedon wrote:Inara: Sihnon isn’t that different from this planet (Persephone): more crowded obviously & I guess more complicated. The great city itself.. pictures can’t capture it. It’s like an ocean of light.

Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Return to “Localization”