Community translation project: German

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, motorbit, castewarkp, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
Azrael Ultima

Re: Community translation project: German

Post by Azrael Ultima » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Why was it set to yellow in the first place? I don't remember anybody ever coming to a consensus about monitors.
Möbius wrote:Im taking it as a compliment. :)

I think we should translate "Hunter" with "Jäger" and "Fighter" with "Kämpfer", or does "Kämpfer" sound odd? Even if Kämpfer sounds odd, we should then find another term to differentiate them.

It was intended that way. We're obviously in good german tradition here *cough*

The problem i see with "Kämpfer" is that it describes a fighter in the sense of combatant, not in the "Jagdflugzeug" sense which is how the word is used in SotS, so it doesn't really fit. If we name them differently, i'd prefer finding a new name for the Hunters, since calling them "Jäger" might lead to some confusion.
For the Asteroid Monitor Command. I don't realy know how we could translate it in another way. It's the "Kommando" of the "Asteroiden Wächter"s, giving them orders and coordinating their actions. (I think Kommando in this translation means "Kommando" as a millitary section and not "Kommando" as the word command (giving a order).).So i find it an Ok translation.

It's not so much the wording, it's the grammar. Asteroid Monitor Command is just fine. But "Asteroiden Wächter Kommando" is actually three independent nouns. The closest i could interpret this as without just assuming it's incorrect is a "Wächter" from "Asteroiden" that's named "Kommando".

It has to be, at the very least, "Asteroidenwächter(-)Kommando", though i think we should leave them as "Asteroidenmonitore", since monitor as used here is neither english nor german, but latin.

As for the monitor command, i'd either render it as "Kontrollmonitor" or something similar or "Asteroidenmonitor(Kontrolle)".
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Dan87

Post by Dan87 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:23 am

Dont know why it was yellow in the first place, perhaps there was a typo, someone fixed it and marked it yellow, which would be right according to the color rules moto set up.
Anyway I suggest to cut off the Mission for:
MISSIONTITLE_STATION_CONSTRUCTION_MISSION- STATIONSKONSTRUKTIONSMISSION
MISSIONTITLE_STATION_UPGRADE_MISSION- STATIONSAUSBAUMISSION

It should be quite clear that you give your fleet an order to build or upgrade a station and Stationskonstruktion or Stationsausbau allready imply an ongoing process/mission.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Seems fine by me.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

veen

Post by veen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 pm

An opinion of mine: Please don't translate "Siemensstyle" ... i.e. where a screen gets perverted into "Datensichtgerät". A Scan ist still a scan in most german uses, disruptors are called Disruptoren in german Star Trek, not translated into something weird etc ... and i guess some names could stay. "Wraith Abductors" can become "Wraith Entführer" ... if Wraith is translated, then you get a strange and silly sounding "Gespenst Entführer". Same for for instance the "Impactor", which is more a name. That can become Impaktor .... to translate it to "Einschläger" etc just sounds bad. What do you think?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Frankly, i think "Impaktor" is just as bad as "Einschläger". Both sound stupid. We'll probably have to come up with something different there.

I don't see a problem with "Geist-Entführer", on the other hand.

veen

Post by veen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes, Impaktor is weird ... but I consider it better, than "Einschlaeger". Geist Entfuehrer sounds totally daft to me, because there's no real good german word to translate Wraith ... in english, Wraith is a very obvious name of the ship ... the do not abduct wraiths. Geist-Entfuehrer in german is at best ambiguous and also sounds like you are abducting ghosts .. that's why it sounds silly.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:40 pm

No, it's actually not ambiguous. What you're thinking off is a "Geisterentführer", not a "Geistentführer".
It could maybe be read as something that abducts the mind of a person, but given who crews these ships, that's not really that far off either and would give it a nice fitting double meaning.

Wraith Abductor is more ambiguous, as it could be both a wraith that abducts or something that abducts wraiths.

Dan87

Post by Dan87 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:12 pm

Could we please replace the word "Rasse" with either Spezies, Fraktion or Art, because Rasse (race) is too arbitrary and does not even fit in there.
And another thing, please dont color every translation you did in light blue. Make it either yellow or if you´re not sure whether it fits, purple. Thanks.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:18 pm

Yeah, save light blue for strings that still contain untranslated words.

I've only found a single "Rasse" in the doc, but i agree that the term should be avoided. Not in the least due to it's rather... negative history in german.

I'm not really sure what to make of the string that uses it, though.
Edith: Tarka design name #30 seems to be missing entirely... what's up with that?

Edith2: Somebody translated weaponnames(which is nice), but forgot to check research names which are often identical(which is not so nice), so quite a few of those weapon names are translated differently from their associated tech(which is rather annoying).

I've marked all weapon names purple for now(lines 4056-4184), as i don't have time to check each individually right now. Most probably don't need to be changed and can be switched back to yellow.

Xonosch

Post by Xonosch » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:51 am

veen wrote:An opinion of mine: Please don't translate "Siemensstyle" ... i.e. where a screen gets perverted into "Datensichtgerät". A Scan ist still a scan in most german uses, disruptors are called Disruptoren in german Star Trek, not translated into something weird etc ... and i guess some names could stay. "Wraith Abductors" can become "Wraith Entführer" ... if Wraith is translated, then you get a strange and silly sounding "Gespenst Entführer". Same for for instance the "Impactor", which is more a name. That can become Impaktor .... to translate it to "Einschläger" etc just sounds bad. What do you think?

It think it's best to simply not translate some words. I can't imagine a translation for Impactor that doesn't sound silly.

It's similar for "Wraith Abductor". A direct translation will always sound strange. In this case and if you really want a translation I would suggest something like "Sklavenjäger" (slave hunter) - it describes the purpose of this ship class (which is good), but it has no reference to the original meaning (which is bad). So... I don't know, your choice :)

Soromi

Post by Soromi » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:34 pm

Sklavenjäger "Gespenst".

So its his "Job" and afterwards the Name, which is given to this special Craft by the civilian Population?

deb10er0

Post by deb10er0 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:47 am

Hi, is this project closed or how is the status of the translation? (last answer Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:34 pm )

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Since the official... spokesman apparently had an encounter with some sort of grand menace and no remains have been found, it's more or less ground to a halt. There doesn't appear to be anybody willing to take over his position, and due to the way we decided to work, that essentially means we can't continue since nobody can access the source document.

silvaril
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by silvaril » Tue May 14, 2013 6:48 pm

Heya

Just keep working on the Arbeitsdokument for now.

Worst case scenario Castewar will move the strings across into the source doc.

Thanks! :)
silvaril wrote:Love is Love, God is God and I am still Living a Lifetime

Disclaimer:
The views of any individual may not necessarily represent those of "God"(tm)

castewarkp
Site Admin

Community translation project: German

Post by castewarkp » Tue May 14, 2013 10:27 pm

If someone would like to become a doc editor for the group, PM me and I'll add you in.

Return to “Localization”