Localization assets overview

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: motorbit, kenshiro, Eleahen, castewarkp

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
castewarkp
Site Admin

Localization assets overview

Post by castewarkp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 am

This is a brief outline of all the assets in-game - currently - that can be localized;

- Strings (ie all text in game. Buttons, description boxes, etc. NOT INCLUDING speech subtitles)
- Speech. This is a list of text events that represent all sound speech events. This is in place partially for the hearing impaired, but also for language versions of the game that do not have translated sound files (which currently is all of them, as SotS2 has a LOT of speech files and nobody was willing to pay to created localized versions.)
- Title Logo. This is the game title card you see in the main menu. German partners were not interested in translating it, whereas Russian ones were.
- Help screens.

Currently, the focus is on the strings, followed by the speech events. If someone has good suggestions for the title card, I will happily incorporate them. We will leave the help screens for now.

I have created a series of Kerberos Google doc files. These are up to date (January 3, 2013) in terms of the events listed, and contains any localization generated by Paradox's Russian and German partners, meaning they are incomplete to some degree. Where no translation exists, the English is displayed.

Some of you have already taken it upon yourselves to being a similar process and I encourage this - however, for the sake of my sanity, I hope you will consider bringing your translations here. Please consider the Partner localization before attempting your own, but we are now aware that some of it is very bad (leaving some to assume we did it in Google translate... which we didn't. I guess some localization houses just aren't that good at sci-fi slang.)

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Re: Localization assets overview

Post by Eleahen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:49 pm

I was wondering if you want to include Encyclopedia at some point?

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:57 pm

We've already got plenty of work with just the UI, no need to pile on even more work. Especially since the SotSpedia isn't quite working like they hoped it would.

Besides, i remember "hearing" Erinys talking about turning it into an online wiki of sorts(that is a bit more general to the SotSverse as well), which would lend itself much better to such endeavors.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Agreed - the encyclopedia is a nice background resource, but not critical to playing the game. So for now, the focus is on the UI, then the speech sub-titles.

veen

Post by veen » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:41 pm

Online wiki with an ingame webbrowser is a good idea, if the webserver can handle the load. Reminds me of the trading house in Guild Wars 2, which in the beginning had huge issues, but is also webbased.

Return to “Localization”