Battle Riders in English

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, castewarkp, motorbit, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
Azrael Ultima

Re: Translation issue: Battle Riders / Ship types

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:03 am

Ixal wrote:"Kampfschiff" is quite a general term similar to warship or combat ship. It is in my opinion a bit strange to have such a general name for a ship class.

It is now. But we do not have any ships of the type battle riders are now, either. Besides, "Kriegsschiff" is more commonly used for warships in general.

Alternately, i'd suggest using the old german term for battleships "Linienschiff" vor DNs and starting all 3 riders on "Schlacht-", though i think "Schlachtboot" sounds a little silly.

I'm not happy at all with using Dreadnought to formally refer to anything in the german version.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Lex12122011

Re: Battle Riders in English

Post by Lex12122011 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:51 pm

По-моему, самое близкое по смыслу названию Battle Rider - канонерка (легкая боевая лодка)
Dura lex sed lex

Ixal

Re: Translation issue: Battle Riders / Ship types

Post by Ixal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Azrael Ultima wrote:Alternately, i'd suggest using the old german term for battleships "Linienschiff" vor DNs and starting all 3 riders on "Schlacht-", though i think "Schlachtboot" sounds a little silly.

Linienschiff is quite a unused word by now and I doubt many people would know what it means. When I heard the term the first time I linked it to luxury liners at first.

The term does come close to the ship types the Dreadnought was part off. Sadly "Linienschiff" is a hold over from the Age of Sail were ships were forming in a line to fire broadsides at each other and the term might (in some cases falesly) imply that the ships are SotS ships are meant to be used that way.

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:57 pm

That's the same line battleships refer to.

Besides, Dreadnought isn't any more informative.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

motorbit

Post by motorbit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:21 pm

at last for the german translation, we have made our decission.
we may revisit it at some point when we solve the remaining problems during the correction pass.
but for now, there is little use in further discussing this issue and it would be better if this energy would go into translating stuff or tackle other difficult strings.
keep in mind that it will not always be possible to find a solution that is satisfying in all regards. if you want it to be absolute authentic, no translation ever will be.
so please, let our russian friends have their discussion here now, and do not keep derailing their discussion over and over again.

Gambit

Post by Gambit » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:41 pm

I read that you made your decision for German, I am fine with that, but I just wanted to add that this is a term I wouldn't translate at all. Every translation I can think of sounds ridiculous. Just wanted to mention it.
"Don't argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level - then beat you by experience." -Anonymous

Azrael Ultima

Post by Azrael Ultima » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm

If it was a name, i might agree. But it is not, and i definitely think it needs to be translated.

Return to “Localization”