Attention: Google Spreadsheets

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, motorbit, castewarkp, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
Eleahen
Doomsayer

Attention: Google Spreadsheets

Post by Eleahen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:09 pm

When copying long strings to new cell Google Speadsheets can separate them into several lines (with carriage return chars).

With these importing localized csv to the game will result in CTDs. Refer to error message to find such strings.

Solution: edit cell contents via double-click

castewarkp
Site Admin

Re: Attention: Google Spreadsheets

Post by castewarkp » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:31 am

I've also made a couple of changes to the Google docs;

There were a handful of quote characters (") in string files, which were causing trouble. I've cleaned them out, I'm pretty sure.

Also, in order to bring the document out of Google docs and into the game, I've added extra columns - it's a format thing for me when exporting them over to the game. They don't affect you guys at all, just ignore them.

Moving ahead, rather than importing the docs out every time (it's a bit of a pain), I think perhaps the best solution is to mark changed cells with a colour, so I know they need to be copied over into the game files - I'll remove the colouring once I've done that. This will be very handy later when polish translation occurs.

movra

Post by movra » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Maybe this localization platform has more benefits compared to Google Docs? I've just found out about it through Planetary Annihilation.

http://www.getlocalization.com/

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Not free...

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm

movra wrote:Maybe this localization platform has more benefits compared to Google Docs? I've just found out about it through Planetary Annihilation.

http://www.getlocalization.com/

Cool, I'll have a look, but as mentioned, it's a service, which isn't that big of a deal, but also, I don't think it's open to the public to translate, rather you have to sign up as a translator. If I understand what I saw correctly... I'll keep looking, but for now, we'll stick with Google docs. Flawed, but works well enough, and can probably work even better, as I sort a few things out.

movra

Post by movra » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:07 am

It's open for public. Creating an account requires no personal information other than an email address.

The nifty thing is that different people can submit multiple variations of a translation, kind of like the crowd sourcing aspect of DuoLingo and Google Translate. And afterwards there is a validation step.

Other features are per-string discussions and recurring strings detection.

The PA one is backer-only for now, but here's a random project so you can take a look:
http://www.getlocalization.com/settle_up/

freemangl

Post by freemangl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:54 am

Try transifex.com instead of getlocalization.com, transifex.com is more powerful and more friendly to use. And most importantly, it's free and no limitation for a public translation program.

https://www.transifex.com/

nightpatrol

Post by nightpatrol » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:46 am

Мы используем нотабеноид

Return to “Localization”