Speech sub-titles (important) READ BEFORE EDITING

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, castewarkp, motorbit, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
castewarkp
Site Admin

Speech sub-titles (important) READ BEFORE EDITING

Post by castewarkp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:34 am

So, I'm posting up the csv files for the Speech event subtitles.
This is the work around for the fact that the game's publishers and publishing partners did not want to undertake the task of localizing and re-recording all the speech in the game. That's a lot of speech.

In short; Players have the option to turn on subtitles, and when a speech event occurs (the English speech events), a text sub-title will appear on screen. It's also handy for the hearing-impaired as well, as players can even see the English sub-titles.

Now, this is where a simple solution to a problem (no money to re-record German and Russian speech events), provides an elegant solution with extra benefits (sub-titles will help for hearing impaired as well as future, crowd sourced translations), with one hitch because it wasn't an anticipated problem;

Each Speech event has a code hook name, which tells you what portion of the game it's in (combat or strat), which event, which version of the event (speech events can have as little as one line or up to 8 of the, for randomized variety), which race, and some text about what the event is about.

eg
STRAT_001-01_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation MALE ADMIRAL: Yes, Director. We'll map the system.
STRAT_001-02_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation FEMALE ADMIRAL: Yes, Commander. My fleet will map the system.
STRAT_001-03_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation MALE ADMIRAL (safe): Moving out to survey now.
STRAT_001-04_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation FEMALE ADMIRAL (safe): Moving out to map the system.
STRAT_001-05_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation MALE ADMIRAL: Yes, Director. We'll be back with the data as soon as possible.
STRAT_001-06_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation FEMALE ADMIRAL: Yes, Director. We'll return with your survey data.
STRAT_001-07_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation MALE ADMIRAL: On route to survey, Commander.
STRAT_001-08_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation FEMALE ADMIRAL: Roger, Director. Survey underway.

Here's that hitch... These code hooks are in the sound engine and they're great and they create the randomized speech events you hear in the game. But they are hidden away from the rest of the game, meaning that when the sub-titles are called, it only uses the first line - the game can't tell which of the lines are played, so it can't match the proper text string.

Now, given time, there might be a way, but that's programmer energy we can't afford right now. And one could argue that it doesn't matter if the text matches up, but I think it does and for now, even that simple change is time I'd rather be invested elsewhere in the game.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

It means, don't freak out by the amount - there are way less speech event lines than general game strings, and only a fraction of them need to be translated.

eg
translate this one
STRAT_001-01_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation MALE ADMIRAL: Yes, Director. We'll map the system.

but not these
STRAT_001-02_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation FEMALE ADMIRAL: Yes, Commander. My fleet will map the system.
STRAT_001-03_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation MALE ADMIRAL (safe): Moving out to survey now.
STRAT_001-04_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation FEMALE ADMIRAL (safe): Moving out to map the system.
STRAT_001-05_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation MALE ADMIRAL: Yes, Director. We'll be back with the data as soon as possible.
STRAT_001-06_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation FEMALE ADMIRAL: Yes, Director. We'll return with your survey data.
STRAT_001-07_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation MALE ADMIRAL: On route to survey, Commander.
STRAT_001-08_human_SurveyMissionConfirmation FEMALE ADMIRAL: Roger, Director. Survey underway.

In time, maybe we'll get to them, but for now, one line (the first one) to generically represent all speech sound events will serve the purpose nicely. And not explode your brains trying to translate them all.

I hope that makes sense - if it doesn't, please ask. I'm trying to avoid people doing more work than they have to.

castewarkp
Site Admin

Re: Speech sub-titles (important) READ BEFORE EDITING

Post by castewarkp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:55 am

I'll get German, Russian, and French set up tonight, as they're in the game now. Czech and Hungarian I'll finish tomorrow.

German
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kF0dTlfcVE

Russian
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... HdicjA2OUE

French
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... npRZ1BFMUE

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:28 am

Do you mean that the first string is going to be shown for all the other sound events too?

Eleahen
Doomsayer

Post by Eleahen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 pm

It seems there are a lot issues with formatting in these files.
Orignal has some broken formatting which made a mess upon import.

There's A LOT of merged lines. Notepad++ shows that speech.csv that is in the game right now has more than 4000 lines, while Google Sheets shows it as 2200.
Some lines got chewed up, and while keys are still there, subtitles aren't there anymore - these need to be regenerated.

I see some extra quote marks here or there in current speech.csv - these should be the cause at least of part of problems.

If we work on this separately, all of us will have to do the same fixes.
This needs to be fixed in the original.

2 castewar:
Perhaps we, the players, can help with this as well?

Ru translation is on hold.

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Do you mean that the first string is going to be shown for all the other sound events too?

Yes, that's what I was trying to convey. Which is why it's not a priority to translate the other lines, not until an undetermined and perhaps non-existent point in the future when we are able to link the right text to the right speech.

Return to “Localization”