French translation really needs to be improved

Bringing the text of SotS2 up to date for Russian and German players as well as expanding into other languages.

Moderators: Eleahen, motorbit, castewarkp, kenshiro

Forum rules
While this project lives or dies by the exceptional efforts of poly-lingual fans, there is the potential for debate. The main things to remember is that bad Russian/German is better than nothing at all, so while we respect that there are various and subtle options for certain words and concepts, please keep the debate here (not in the public docs), allow Kerberos and super-user mods to make final rulings, and regardless if your suggestions are used, your input was invaluable and you helped make it happen.
picisse

French translation really needs to be improved

Post by picisse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Guys,

I urge you to have the french translation reviewed.

I know that the translation was made by fans who asked no retribution for it, so I do not want to be too tough about what they done. But, to be honest, there are so many basic grammar errors in the translation...
As a french guy, I prefer to play the game in English because it hurts my mind to see my language abused this way. As a software developper, I would be ashamed to sell such product. As a customer, I would say that your are fooling me selling an unfinished product.

Please do something, even if it's a simple notice to explain that the translation is in a beta state.

Note: Opening the sentences with a text writter (Word or LibreOffice for example) and just run the grammar analyser could fix many mistakes.

Azrael Ultima

Re: French translation really needs to be improved

Post by Azrael Ultima » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 pm

You could be a wee bit more cooperative, you know. Just barging in here and demanding that a fan translation be improved while not offering anything constructive in the process might be considered poor form.
I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts.
The zeppelin of bluster Feldman excoriated Freddy with suddenly popped into a cloud of humility. (David Grand, The Disappearing Body, 2002)

Launch apathy protocols. Visual rotational thrusters engaged. Scroll command to HAND/DEXTER/02 received. Submitting pressure request to location Left Mouse. Visual augur confirms hit on Planetary Annihilation General Discussion.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 pm

typical French criticism, helps translators instead of criticizing something unfinished ...

kenshiro

Post by kenshiro » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi Guys,
I anderstand picisse and if he want to help us he's welcome because for me now I don't have even more time to polish the translation and this is a lot of work.
Anybody want to help with the translation send me your email by MP and I give you acces to the modif thankx.

castewarkp
Site Admin

Post by castewarkp » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 pm

picisse wrote:Please do something, even if it's a simple notice to explain that the translation is in a beta state.

We are doing something, which is to try and get some translation into place a year after release without publisher support. Bad translation, while insulting to you, is better than nothing to someone who can't read English. We did explain in the update notes that it's in a beta state and that an easy mechanism was now in place for people to switch to whichever language they want, including English (as we're aware there are a lot of players in other territories that don't want the localized version.)

If you can, pitch in. If you can't, avoid jumping on the fans translating. They're doing as much as they can, as fast as they can.

thanks.

Return to “Localization”