And I thought Proteans were bad!

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
Scirch

And I thought Proteans were bad!

Post by Scirch » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

So, just had a good run as a Marine; I'd been very lucky with drops, grabbing a shotgun, a spare blade, and a sar along the way, along with plenty of health kits and ammo; food was a bit scarce, but not tight enough for me to worry. My only complaint was the lack of armour, because the dispensers kept shredding the stuff!

I was on the 12th floor, being swarmed by bots, stranglers and hivers. I wasn't having too many problems, until a massive Protean started lurching down the hallway at me. I wasn't too worried, and started my "run and gun" policy, where I move one space to stay ahead of it, then hit it with my assault rifle or shotgun. Once it died, I chucked a grenade to kill the large proteans and then finished off the small ones with a single shotgun blast.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself, I went back up the hallway, when I saw something new: a massive, green protean enters the hallway. A little nervous, I move back one space and hit it with a volley from my assault rifle. And then, to my horror, it closes the entire three space gap between us in a single turn. I threw a grenade, hitting it for 50 damage while missing me, after which it ran up and grabbed me, quickly killing me.

I seriously hope I don't see another of those for a long, long time. If anyone has any tips for fighting these things, I'd love to hear them!
When one makes something fool-proof, they inevitably fail to take into account the ingenuity of fools.

Gonozal

Re: And I thought Proteans were bad!

Post by Gonozal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm

The great thing about proteans is that they can't open doors. Also, you can close any open door with space.
That can sometimes be used to force proteans to come towards you through a long hallway (close one door, wait for protean to go through other door and await him).
It's definitely more abusable with the slower moving proteans, but should still be useable somewhat effectively against the fast ones.
I've only once encountered one and was quickly killed mysealf, though. So take all of the above with a grain of salt since it's purely theory crafting.

To be honest, next time I see a big green slime I will just lock it in and keep my distance from that room.

Gizmoh

Post by Gizmoh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 pm

I found and killed the big green slime myself, as a marine, normal difficulty.
It ran towards me too fast and I couldn't escape so I stood my ground, took energy drink topped myself with whatever I had that didn't use time, like tarka surgery kits. Then I proceeded to shoot it in the face with an auto shotgun till it died.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Proteans...very little in terms of armor... :P

Sevain

Post by Sevain » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:40 pm

Wanted to find out how Insane Insane difficulty level really is. I go down the ladder to the first actual complex level and find an "ammo crate". That was a very short run, even for me.

GildedBear

Post by GildedBear » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:08 pm

I hate those guys. My last run was a charitorandomizer blessed marine. A decent amount of food, some spare armor, ammo coming out his ears, and an arsenal that included everything from an auto pistol, through a vibro-blade, all the way to a laser carbine. I was mowing through everything, including the FOUR hopkinites that jumped me at one time (though they took way more ammo than I wanted) A single green mountain of death ripped me to shreads, even with me pouring everything I could into it.

Return to “War Stories”