R.I.P Mr. Cant use anything

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
legionof1

R.I.P Mr. Cant use anything

Post by legionof1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:56 am

So made it to level 11 normal on my recent marine play-through. He never once succeeded on anything but mechanical and lock-pick checks which as you can imagine left him rapidly naked, unarmed, and near starvation. Also to add insult only one intact lab station was encountered which mister jar head promptly blew up on a 99% chance to activate. Frankly i just don't see how a marine is supposed to get very far other then pure luck given his almost total inability to access anything computer, electronic or fix anything. Having to hope for intact stations to do any crafting is rather frustrating. Also haveing armor units being non mechanical tends to limit him to his initial armor which while good, he has to trust to luck to be able to maintain.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: R.I.P Mr. Cant use anything

Post by Mecron » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:59 am

Play more games, spend his levelling up points on his tech skills, you will have better luck ;)

legionof1

Post by legionof1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Yeah did that on every marine play-through but the first. Pure focus on the tech skills still ends generally in the sub 20% percent chance to use by floor 6 or so and it just degrades from there. Even the engineer begins to fall behind the curve with tech focus on normal and he has gear support more often then not. To date marine is my least well performing class having never gotten beyond 15 even on easy. Scout and engi average 20+ usually dieing off to lack of effective means to kill massive proteans before they do significant repeated damage to my armaments or posion me to death. Now i love rouge-like games but here picking marine seems like shooting your odds in the foot from the get go.

Resok
Kerbicron Cleric
Kerbicron Cleric

Post by Resok » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:15 pm

That's funny because my current play-through is with a marine and I'm having far better luck than with my engineer.

Dealing with massive proteans is a matter of kiting properly - you can move a step then take a shot, rinse and repeat. Once they spit the first time - you can do this again until they split up into the small ones. These I usually leverage AOE weapons of some kind (shotguns, grenades, etc).

I'm currently going strong on level 21 so far with my current run.

Dudemaniclese

Post by Dudemaniclese » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:58 am

My furthest so far was with Marine, which I've only played once. I've played Engi maybe a dozen times, and the last time was the closest I've come to my Marine playthrough. I only managed to find any extra weapons on this playthrough, though; maybe I'll pass by the Marine with this one. I feel like I could probably get on Marine and go down a few more levels though, too.

I play on Normal and I've gotten to 9 with Marine and 7 with Engi, but I'm on 6 with my Engi and doing alright so far, so we'll see how things go!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:03 am

Good luck! ;)

Return to “War Stories”