What was your best (worst?) death in the pit?

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
Birdco

What was your best (worst?) death in the pit?

Post by Birdco » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am

Failure is the name of the game in the pit, but some deaths are more spectacularly epic than others. What's your best story of your character going out in a blaze of glory?

I'll go first

Mine was entering a medical lab down in the low 20s. There were a couple green and white proteans, but they were at the end of the room. My plan was to pop into view, shoot a few shots to get their attention, then run off so I could kite them to death.

I gets my first shot off, then from outside my FOV, one of the medical robots pops up, and hits me with the knockout dart.

When I come to, I'm surrounded by proteans, grabbed so I couldn't move, and resorting to dropping grenades next to me to try to kill the proteans off faster than they could kill me...

Bad idea... I hadn't noticed my armor had been melted off me. Blowed myself up.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: What was your best (worst?) death in the pit?

Post by Mecron » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am

Lol that is spectacular :P

marshb

Post by marshb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Vasquez and Gorman would empathize with that solution. 8)
Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Orison of Sonmi-451

Captain Colon

Post by Captain Colon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:27 pm

That's pretty much the exact same way I died on my farthest Marine playthrough, except I didn't get the luxury of waking up and going out with a bang :P

My last game might be my best death...or at least the most disappointing. Playing engineer I had found a TON of weapons, ammo and armor early on. Unfortunately none of them had high penetration and once I started running into hopkinites my ammo went quick. It got to the point where I was taking on medium sentry bots and morrigi drones with my sword and spending 50-100 turns killing each hopkinite. Of course it comes down to me and one drone left, each one hit away from death aaaaaaand MISS :yell: Between rifle and flechette ammo I probably had a thousand rounds on me, but never found a single weapon that could use them :awesome:

I've had quite a few Insane games where I click start and find myself standing right next to a medium sentry bot, hiver or a moon bear...in those cases I just go "well then" and sit on a grenade.

Virosa

Post by Virosa » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Hmm, as scout, through floor 10-17~ i was finding about 400 rifle ammo per floor or something, it got ridiculous, i had over 1k in inventory even tho i was shooting it like crazy, i started dropping rifle and pistol ammo and pistol gun, to pick up other stuff i needed, i hadnt managed to craft inventory expand nor found a teseract or whatever.

I had 4 rifle and infinite ammo, why would i need a pistol, right?

From floor to 18-22 i barely found ANY ammo and the one i found was pistol ammo, i ran out of ammo(i had no pistol) at floor 20~, i got to level 22 and floor 23 by having those jugger bear shoot me with their aoe and kill all the other mobs, lure out the monsters from rooms and then run in, loot (found more pistol ammo).

Eventually, i got trapped by 3 big proteans, no guns, no weapons, it took them about 200 rounds to kill me but i couldnt move, lol. I dropped 2 poison trap on me, to try to kill them, but poison need to do more damage or something.

I don't know if that was Epic or Fail, but i thought i didn't feel bad about that death.

My REAL worse death was a new engineer, level 1, got hit by diseases stuff, ran out of med kits and stuff at level 2, died of disease.

Birdco

Post by Birdco » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:09 pm

That's one thing I definitely learned in the Pit, always have something that uses pistol ammo, and always use the pistol when it is sufficient for the job. You can almost always find pistol ammo, and you want to save the bigger stuff for the things you need to one shot (humans, VN, bigger security bots) since rifle and flechette can frequently be sparse.

Captain Colon

Post by Captain Colon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:03 am

Not a death, but it's so cruel it might as well be...Just started a new Scout game, only at level 2 and already walked through a trap that destroyed my auto pistol :(

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:49 am

Well then you will have to get by on your wits...may god have mercy on you Cap :P

Snarks

Post by Snarks » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:13 am

On my best run yet on normal, I was disintegrated by the disintegration bay I was rigging. Full health, a laser rifle, Quantum Scan Helmet, Cyber Scrambler, none of that stuff helps there. I will never touch another disintegration bay again. In fact, the score screen doesn't even tell me what I was killed by. My scout simply ceased to exist.

the_elites

Post by the_elites » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:36 am

Maybe not death, but my marine got stroke when watching 2 large proteans grab him and munch all his equipment (pulse rifle, laser rifle, scattergun, adamantium claw and his armor was chitin and both targeting and quantum helmet). Sure life is cruel :D

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:44 am

Yeah that comes the moment where you start pulling the pins on grenade and tossing them beside yourself :P

fibio

Post by fibio » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:56 am

Well I just managed to die of disease on level one. Note to self: Engineers should not 'walk it off'.
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

Captain Colon

Post by Captain Colon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 am

Now that inspires me to go for a couple Insane runs...misery loves company right? ;)

Flixflix

Post by Flixflix » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Got out of ammo on floor 22. Found a bit that could help me to floor 25 and then a hopkinite came and I wasnt able to damage him ^^ Slow death, maybe, cruel death, maybe, death by a hopkinite's Energy fist. took me about a few rounds to die.. ^^

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:15 pm

Fib, note geers should use those 2 medkits ;)

Return to “War Stories”