I can haz finite math?

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
mellamokris

I can haz finite math?

Post by mellamokris » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:22 pm

Well it happened. Had two consecutive, critical events last night where I failed at 99%. One was a med-bay and the other was a weapons locker, both of which I needed desperately. I guess this is where finite math is supposed to make me feel better?

For anyone who has failed at opening a door three times at 85% and thought it improbable, each attempt is a separate event. Your previous attempt(s) has nothing to do with the next. So each try was at 85% (in that example), and while it seems very improbable to fail three times at that percentage it really isn't at all.

Anyway, I had to turn the game off I was so disappointed. I'm at floor 23 which is the furthest I've been, but my luck has been dry for about 10 floors on everything from health packs to guns to ammo (and to items which make health packs, guns, and ammo). The two fails at 99% was the icing on the cake... :googly:

NuclearHuggz

Re: I can haz finite math?

Post by NuclearHuggz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:38 pm

-Failed Adamantium Claws (88%)
-Failed Pulse Rifle (85%)
-Failed Pulse Rifle again -- after successfully crafting a new Laser Rifle specifically for it (99%)
-Failed Hero Sotswich x3 (84%)
-Failed opening doors over 80% at least twice

All on the same run -- Scout, I believe.

I feel your pain, mellamokris. :|
XImageXImage

Winston

Post by Winston » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:48 pm

For me how the math works is reminds me how it worked in the old Xcom games, if it wants to be a dick it will be a dick.
However on the bright side I come across many situations - and I'm sure some of you too - when I could open a pantry or repair a console or a repair station etc. when it was only 1%.
Last edited by Winston on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedDevil
Ante Priore Wangum

Post by RedDevil » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:26 pm

If you made 10 levels without any ammo or health drops, then they game must have been nice to you in other ways! :shock:

P.S. I'm just bitter as I've never made it that far in two days yet! (engi only atm though)
"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper; Only those that prosper truly judge what is sane." -Proverb; Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader.

mellamokris

Post by mellamokris » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:19 pm

If you made 10 levels without any ammo or health drops, then they game must have been nice to you in other ways!

Well it's not that it didn't give me ANY ammo or health. It just hasn't given me very much. As for guns, all I have is 2 swords, the pistol that I started with, and a lazer carbine. Lazer carbine...great...except I'm getting almost no energy backpacks or bindings to make energy backpacks with (I have about 40 energy cells waiting to be made into backpacks). But hey, I've got about 800 rounds of rifle ammunition if the game decides to give me one.

And no, the game has not really been kind to me in other ways, haha.

mellamokris

Post by mellamokris » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:29 pm

-Failed Pulse Rifle again -- after successfully crafting a new Laser Rifle specifically for it (99%)

Ugh, this makes me sick. Crafting failure is the worst.

Captain Colon

Post by Captain Colon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:12 pm

First rule of roguelikes: just ignore the number it shows you, your chance of success is actually inversely proportional to how desperately you need to succeed to survive ;)

Birdco

Post by Birdco » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:21 pm

I think the chance of success shown is what your character thinks your chance of success is. I've succeeded at lock picking too many 1% success doors for it to actually be 1% success rate.

It's kind of like the 2D6 board games... A double 1 is always a failure, no matter how much your skill overmatches the difficulty, and a double 6 is always a success.

Return to “War Stories”