Overconfidence, Sloppiness and the "W" key

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
Ian

Overconfidence, Sloppiness and the "W" key

Post by Ian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:54 am

I have 50 hours of play as an Engineer on Normal. Each death was frustrating - starvation or no ammo or no weapon, even no armor. Frustrating but sweet because I knew the dice would roll my way eventually. And eventually it did.

This time, weapons, food, med-kits and ammo rained in a constant stream on each floor. The sadorandomiser smiled on me. I found a Hiver Exo Armor early on. But I got sloppy. After clearing Floor 10, I happily "W''ed through a door before I realised it was (already earlier) marked to destroy my loot. Armor gone! No!!. But then, sadorandomiser forgave. Found Cheetah Armor 1 floor down near the entrance.

5 more floors of almost perfect loot. Great range of weapons - auto pistol, auto rifle, shotgun, scattergun, blade. Even a Plasma Flamer which I had to abandon. Plenty of ammo for all of them. All in good condition. Respectable high skills too. Targeting Helm, 5 med-kits, scramblers, EM, HE, Frag grenades. 3 Hero Sotswich's, Scanning Analyser, Digital Interpreter, Utility belt and other useful knicknacks.

Then, for the first time ever, I was on floor 16. The adrenaline rush was making my hands shake. There was an Adaptoid, Hiver worker and other small critters in the entrance room but they ate shotgun rounds. Wounded but no matter. There were 4 still fully functioning med-bays in the floor above (bless the randomiser).

Room cleared and fully healed, I identified 2 bot rooms. 1 to the north, 1 to the east. East room was tough. Those green bolts hurt a lot. Couldn't get a good angle to clear it. Thought I'd try the north room. It was smaller and mebbe I'd get some good weapons to clear the east room later.

Ian

Re: Overconfidence, Sloppiness and the "W" key

Post by Ian » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:10 am

I was on half my hit points but was too lazy to go up a floor and too stingy to use my meds. Saw a manufacturing bay in the north room. Got scared. Those things not only spit out bots but heal them them as well. Fear made me hold down "W" straight north to the bot factory. Was gonna shotgun it up close. Too late did I remember the room was full of big bots. My Cheetah speed was my undoing. Didn't feel the stagger. Even then I was ok. The bots didn't fire yet. I had 1 more move. And I chose wrongly. I opened fire when I should have used those nanomeds. Got me in a 3-way cross fire.

This time I can only blame my overconfidence, sloppiness and stinginess. I had nanomeds. I could have just used grenades or auto rifled the thing from behind a corner far away. But no, I wanted to conserve ammo. I wanted to be sure to save the loot lockers. I wanted to save the power on my motion detector. I didn't stop to think.

Hamann

Post by Hamann » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:53 am

I had some deaths like that as well, got so into the action that forgot to take the apropriate measures, usually involving nanomeds as well.

But had a couple of silly ones too, like, holding shift instead of ctrl and trying to turn around, going back in a room full of nasties.
Hannster on Steam
Nubirak on most MMOs

Sayeth

Post by Sayeth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:11 am

Cool story! Keep it up, you will eventually reach the bottom :twisted:
"Life doesn't exist anywhere but Earth?"
That's like taking a cup of ocean water and saying there aren't any whales in the ocean.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:30 pm

I still do those things...The Pit is a great measurement of when its time to get some rest...I die like that 3 games in a row, I know its time to go home and sleep. :P

jakkdl

Post by jakkdl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 pm

Mecron wrote:I still do those things...The Pit is a great measurement of when its time to get some rest...I die like that 3 games in a row, I know its time to go home and sleep. :P

Then you're either dying very early into the game ... or you're staying veeery long (it's not like pit games lasts 20 minutes) :P
http://sword-of-the-stars-the-pit.wikia.com
Lists of recipes, armors, weapons, messages, equipment and everything else you might need.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:49 pm

the latter

Ian

Post by Ian » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Mecron wrote:...I know its time to go home and sleep. :P

You are soo right. It was past 2am on a weekday night. Gotta learn to save and exit more often....but mebbe one more floor.... :insane:

Return to “War Stories”