FiRst win! Normal Ranger

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
Nomikos

FiRst win! Normal Ranger

Post by Nomikos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 am

Woot! At last, after [checks steam] 125 hours played, my first victory!

This run had been going all wrong for almost its entire duration. Fortunately I ground my teeth and stuck with it -- and ended up winning through sheer obstinacy. Found not a single shotgun all game and had to craft a Blunderbuss, which became my "favorite weapon" (most hated weapon). I failed three separate attempts at crafting a pair of Adamantium Claws. At one point I also failed a 99% check to craft three Energy Backpacks; that was a blow. After my Sar was destroyed by grenade fire I had to make do with a Durablade -- then a Blade -- then a Vibro Knife -- then my tail. By floor 38 I was having to bypass far too many rooms, salivating at the ammo boxes I could see within but never touch. (The Quantum Scan Helmet, by the way, is definitely the single most overpowered item in the entire game.)

The one saving grace of this entire run was that I managed to craft a Heavy Slug-Thrower somewhere around floors 25-30. At this point I had never actually reached the final room of floor 40 before, but I had a hunch about who or what I might find there. I scrimped and saved, and when I finally punched my way down (through hordes of screaming apes with Olympic-sized health pools) to the "boss" I had around 50 shots left for it, and no other weapons or ammo. Alas! That turned out to be not quite enough...

Bleeding, defenseless, and surrounded on all sides, I made one final, hopeless search through my pack to find something, anything I could use to get out of this mess -- and discovered that I still had that old Temporal Ejector lying around!! By the grace of the Random Number God I made the 80% roll and received a second chance. With a better idea of the floorplan and of what lay ahead, I went back upstairs and crafted a few door spikes. I'd been pumping Empathy all game, which was lucky, because I now made use of Glamor and the door spikes to completely avoid every enemy group on the way to the boss. With more ammo left, and a couple of pheromone grenades that I'd decided to conserve this time, I made reasonably quick work of it. It felt good to finally unload all those rounds I'd been saving all game for just that moment, directly into the face of the enemy. Wara Jang truly earned great honor that day!

And now... once more, with feeling! :D (actually I think I'm going to play a game on easy to reward myself)

P.S. All glory to the Random Number God. May it smile upon me with a better than 90% chance
Last edited by Nomikos on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deadpieface

Re: Fist win! Normal Ranger

Post by deadpieface » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:51 pm

FIST WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nomikos

Re: Fist win! Normal Ranger

Post by Nomikos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Oh god, I didn't even notice. How embarrassing. But appropriate.

The Apprentice

Re: FiRst win! Normal Ranger

Post by The Apprentice » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Don't sweat it. And you used the Temporal Ejector to BEAT THE GAME. :mg:

Congrats, and I think you win "best use of new item in game" to date! I don't know how you top using a TE to get a second bite at floor 40, really...
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Congrats and double congrats for using the ejector in the perfect situation for it! :D

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:06 am

Grats! Amazing win. RNG makes for some spectacular finishes sometimes :)

Return to “War Stories”