Mines Mines Everywhere

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
Thamuzz

Mines Mines Everywhere

Post by Thamuzz » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:22 pm

The last 5 weapon lockers (including one weapon vault) have contained poison gas mines. Grah.

Rioji

Re: Mines Mines Everywhere

Post by Rioji » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:02 am

It's things like this that make me realize the games hates everyone, not just me. A few games ago, I opened 5 or 6 weapon lockers in a row and got no weapons, but I did get biomods and other stuff. Your RNG experience was way worse, I admit, though mine hurt A LOT because it was on insane and it was my furthest run with the Psion, Floor 8.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:02 pm

what skill level were you playing on tham?

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:51 am

Normal.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:25 am

what floor?

Thamuzz

Post by Thamuzz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:31 am

17. Playing as Scout, pretty decent foraging.

Eriktion

Post by Eriktion » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:21 am

hm... i played ~80 hours so far and have never seen poison gas in lockers 8)

Nagumotheblue

Post by Nagumotheblue » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:13 am

150h (nearly all time on normal) and didn't see them too :P

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 pm

yep that's a string of weird luck. alright :twisted:

Vanish

Post by Vanish » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:09 am

Everytime a floor trap drops from a container I cry a little.

That said, I'm working on a little theory that would advocate leveling Forage frequently starting at level 1 on geekneer and scout. The majority of the early, important gear drops you get will be before floor 20, usually far earlier, so relying purely on auto-learning forage until 45 is (in theory) counter-productive because you are "robbing yourself" from superior loot, even if it's just for the first 10 floors. It's just about not depending on "luck" as much as possible, and I like the results I'm getting.

But I need to play a *lot* more before I can yell eureka or get into the details. Like mecron said, 6 lockers in a row is a pretty extreme "luck" curve I think, there's probably little you can do about it other than slowing down and holding out until you get your due.
"We have such sights to show you."
-Hellraiser

Red-XIII

Post by Red-XIII » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:22 am

Vanish wrote:Everytime a floor trap drops from a container I cry a little.

That said, I'm working on a little theory that would advocate leveling Forage frequently starting at level 1 on geekneer and scout. The majority of the early, important gear drops you get will be before floor 20, usually far earlier, so relying purely on auto-learning forage until 45 is (in theory) counter-productive because you are "robbing yourself" from superior loot, even if it's just for the first 10 floors. It's just about not depending on "luck" as much as possible, and I like the results I'm getting.

But I need to play a *lot* more before I can yell eureka or get into the details. Like mecron said, 6 lockers in a row is a pretty extreme "luck" curve I think, there's probably little you can do about it other than slowing down and holding out until you get your due.

In my experience first 5 floors rarely drop anything of value. Though that just might be linked to the low foraging...
Also, earlier floors are smaller, and these 20 floors constitute less then 50% of a run. They do however serve as a "stability check" of a sort(in my experience anyway). Reminds me of FTL somewhat. There are things you need to get in order to survive, and if you don't get them by a certain point, it's a farewell to that run, though it's not necessarily an immediate farewell. Still, I don't remember a whole lot of runs getting me an adamantium sword before the 20th floor. A lot of things indeed depend on the first 20 floors, but it's the later drops that define one's chances of beating 40. That's how it is in my experience anyway...

And another factor worth considering - foraging isn't the only skill that's helping you to survive, AND it is easier to free-level than most.

Well, that's my opinion on the matter for what it's worth.

Return to “War Stories”