A Serious Tale of a Blue Psion [Complete!]

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
The Apprentice

A Serious Tale of a Blue Psion [Complete!]

Post by The Apprentice » Tue May 20, 2014 7:44 am

Floor 25- "Cautiously Optimistic" Time- 39607

Liu's Log: Guided by the wisdom of those who came before, I have made it deep into this pit of insane science. I do not know if I will succeed, and so I will leave this recording of my descent for those who come later. As long as my imager holds up, at least an image of each new floor. I've also rigged it to snapshot an image if my vital signs cease.

Equipment Addendum: I continue to be cautious with my equipment, as I never know for sure what my next step will bring. Several floors ago, despite checking for traps, I was hurled though space to another room on the same floor. While I was fortunate there were not more proteans in the room, the 2 that were present were sufficient to liquefy my laser rifle and my targeting helm.

[Ed-So, I've attempted the Seriously?! difficulty several times, each with either a Psion or the Liir. Each previous run has failed, though I did get to Floor 27 the day Gold launched. How? By finding three bloody wormhole traps in 3 steps, that's how. So, from floor 18 to floor 27 in three turns. Then death, as the third step left me in a hallway of doom. I think it was a VN, but the details are lost in a sea of mental anguish.

*cough* Anyway, this blue Psion (he is blue room boosted, geddit? Also he is blue) started life in a dimensional vortex on Floor 10. He then took possession of a Broma Dai* (w/ammo) another soul had left in the locker, and took on Floor 10, Seriously, as a level 1 Psion. He did not return to the Blue Room on Floor 10 until he had cleared out Floor 11 and Floor 12 as well. I think he was level 7 or 8 by that point.

On Liu's return, he accessed the XP locker and gained much wisdom. Say, 28 levels worth or so. He also spent a lot of time eating the Pit Stew he crafted (maybe 30 batches?) and bonding with Edu-Pets.** While this did take a toll on his brainstem, overall the skill points were worth it. Thus enhanced, Liu went down the path of many before him, and hoped to prevail.]

*= He also took out a multitude of tools (B. Cube, Hiver Tool, Digital Assistant, Digi Interp, Utility Belt, Liir Psionic Focus, Lifter Pack, Purifier, and 30 Raw Meat) to gain as many free skillpoints as possible early on. But the main thing was the silenced mag rifle. Oh, and Adamantium Claws. When I was able to craft those on a feeder run, I figured it was time to give it a go.
**= As you can see, I spent a lot of time on feeder runs to level 10. At least 15 Liir runs for the Edu-Pets.
Last edited by The Apprentice on Fri May 30, 2014 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

The Apprentice

Re: A Serious Tale of a Blue Psion

Post by The Apprentice » Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 am

Floor 26-It is Very Quiet Time- 41950

Liu's Log: Floor 25 was unremarkable except for a room with 6 Cryoids and two knockout gas wielding enemies. Naturally, my imager appears to have failed. Additionally, I have developed the ability to temporarily assume control of Mechs. This has proved useful, particularly with the Heavy Bot variants. Of course, should they develop a resistance to the ability as I descend further the consequences will be painful.

I have also noted that the Changed Tarka Males are extremely resistant to Paralysis, yet Shrapnel Storm immobilizes them easily. Some racial resistance left over from the ancient warwitch purges?

Equipment Addendum: With the acquisition of a Reflex device, I was finally able to attempt the Mag-Rifle conversion I'd read about. Alas, I was unable to craft the Seismic Boots I'd learned of by perusing Engineering Quarterly. The combat boots were not salvageable.

Ladder Room Floor 26.jpg
Last edited by The Apprentice on Wed May 21, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Wed May 21, 2014 10:05 am

Man, that seems like it took a LOT of work. Must feel nice to have silly stats. Pit stew + duplication?
BTW, what do Seismic boots do? Havent been able to craft them yet.

And show your inventory on the next screenshot!

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed May 21, 2014 1:37 pm

I wanted to keep it image light, but you're right, I probably should. Next floor I will.

Re Pit Stew, you actually can't duplicate it. It is a 3 slot item, and dupe only works on single slot items. The Ancient Herbs that tend to be the rarest ingredient for the stew though... Those are far more feasible to store on feeder runs/duplicate with the addition of Arudaba (sp?) Sapiens.

Seismic Boots, iirc (I've only made them once, could have been changes), send out a pulse each step from the character. Each pulse can slow enemies within the AoE and detonate traps. It will detonate wormhole traps from a large enough distance, though I wasn't sure about teleport traps. I had a 70% chance of success when I found the final component- since the chances of finding a Doohanulator or the Googleplex glass is pretty small, I decided to go for it.

Svankensen

Post by Svankensen » Wed May 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Right, had forgotten its a 3 slot item (that stretches oddly upwards). So you just stashed 5 ancient herbs and infinite fat strips and edible roots? Cause for me the limiting factor always ends up being the edible roots. They are semi rare in the begining, but in the end game i have pretty much unlimited quantities of the rest, the damn roots hold the line against silly stat gains.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed May 21, 2014 6:48 pm

Are you playing the current iteration of the game? In the current version, the Sapiens enemies can drop both roots and herbs. When doing multiple (and I mean MULTIPLE) feeder runs to seed the floor 10 locker with gear, those drops add up. With a B Cube, the biotech check isn't that difficult to make either.

Edit: When I first attempted this in Seriously, back when Mindgames was released, you could still place mutagens into the lockers. And the lockers then randomized them. So you could just toss the bad ones from one run into the locker until they were altered by spacetime to become positive. Oh, and you could still dupe biomods as well. Ah.... balance changes.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Thu May 22, 2014 5:53 am

Floor 27-A bit Hairier Time- 43860

Liu's Log: Floor 26 proved dicier than appearaed at first glance. Despite using relatively quiet weapons, I was swarmed by creatures from the hallways shortly after engaging the creatures in the ladder room. Doors were quickly removed by creatures in their eagerness to reach me opening up lines of sight for two Heavy Bots in different rooms. Grenades would have been manageable, but I couldn't sense what ELSE was in those other rooms.

Then two large proteans showed up, at opposite entrances to the ladder room.

While fighting from a corner that defeated the heavy bots line of sight, a Hopkinite levitated into the fray, using a TK fist to knock me back into view. Several grenades later, the large proteans were no more, but a multitude of smaller ones had free reign to approach and liquefy some of my gear. I elected to use a grenade in response to clear them out, wagering I needed my gear more than my health.

All in all, small ladder rooms that limit maneuverability can be just as dangerous as large rooms with a multitude of creatures.

Equipment Addendum: I have located, for the first time, a liirian armor modification that will actually be of benefit to me. The biomod somehow managed to harden the surface of my armor, making it tougher. The swimmers are undeniably clever.

Ladder Room Floor 27.jpg

Khrowe

Post by Khrowe » Thu May 22, 2014 10:15 am

I had to go look up that helmet, never found one of those. Pretty nice, but from the description I would think you can never unequip it.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Thu May 22, 2014 4:02 pm

I thought the same when I first found one. However you can unequip it. Each time you equip it, you suffer 10 damage though.

Khrowe

Post by Khrowe » Thu May 22, 2014 4:18 pm

The pit needs "cursed" items.

You all can curse me later for that suggestion.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 22, 2014 7:21 pm

the biomods are the cursed items ;)

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Thu May 22, 2014 7:24 pm

So the bioslugs are the holy cleansing rituals? That says something about the Pit right there...

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu May 22, 2014 8:27 pm

indeed it does :twisted:

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:53 pm

No, I found one on my Easy Scout run (second time I've ever won), and it just costs you ten health every time you equip it.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Fri May 23, 2014 4:08 am

Hang in there, Liu. This is life or death.
Joining Forces: the parody fan comic with pit peril, dysfunctional teamwork, and suggestive situations with aliens!

http://joining-forces.blogspot.com

Return to “War Stories”