Mecron
Kerberos

Re: A Serious Tale of a Blue Psion

Post by Mecron » Wed May 28, 2014 7:58 pm

well done!!!

Khrowe

Post by Khrowe » Wed May 28, 2014 9:45 pm

Coolio app. Unnerving the amount of prep for the run though.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed May 28, 2014 10:06 pm

There was a bunch, yes. I wanted to have a realistic chance of success though. I could only stomach so many deaths on the first three floors ;) And I don't even know if KP cared to make the difficulty beatable- the text in the Mindgames manual announcing the difficulty sounded... affronted, almost.

Even with all that prep, I still found three items that were integral to the run during play and not prep (The WW Gauntlets, the CE Helm, and the Tesseract Belt). I will wholeheartedly agree that anyone who does this without blue-rooming will have done a far more difficult thing!
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Wed May 28, 2014 11:09 pm

The unimaginable discipline... :-o
Joining Forces: the parody fan comic with pit peril, dysfunctional teamwork, and suggestive situations with aliens!

http://joining-forces.blogspot.com

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Wed May 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Well, I missed that you blue-roomed him, but still, great job. It's almost more impressive that you had the discipline to prepare all that EQ.

I'm curious about the picture of the floor 30 unlock achievement. It says "you've survived to floor 30," but you're clearly on floor 31... is this a hiccup, or what?

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Wed May 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Rioji wrote:Well, I missed that you blue-roomed him, but still, great job. It's almost more impressive that you had the discipline to prepare all that EQ.

I'm curious about the picture of the floor 30 unlock achievement. It says "you've survived to floor 30," but you're clearly on floor 31... is this a hiccup, or what?

For every floor except for 40, it gives you the achievement for exiting the floor. I think only the 40 achievement is given for reaching it, to distinguish that from completing the game. It just makes all the achievements one floor harder to get.
Joining Forces: the parody fan comic with pit peril, dysfunctional teamwork, and suggestive situations with aliens!

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Thu May 29, 2014 12:04 am

Weird that I never noticed that. I always thought it said, "you've survived past floor x."

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Thu May 29, 2014 12:06 am

Rioji wrote:Weird that I never noticed that. I always thought it said, "you've survived past floor x."

You're right, though. The wording is weird and shouldn't be what it is. Or the achievement should unlock as soon as you reach (or wormhole past) a floor.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Thu May 29, 2014 12:40 am

The things people talk about in threads about beating the game on the highest difficulty setting. ;)

Anyways, the default text for the achieves WAS you've survived PAST Floor X. The exception was floor 30, which popped for simply entering the floor- it was the last floor originally and all. It said "You've survived TO Floor 30." However, when Mindgames entered the fray, ten new floors were added. The achievement text looks like it was carried forward- "You've survived TO Floor X" - instead of reverted to the "You've survived PAST Floor X."

And I'm sure either Mecron or Caste or whomever finds it terribly amusing that we noticed this.

Khrowe

Post by Khrowe » Thu May 29, 2014 12:43 am

Could poke and prod at the idea for a while, and then make a surprise post in the tech forums just for giggles.

The Apprentice

Back from a bit of Intermission

Post by The Apprentice » Fri May 30, 2014 5:27 am

Floor 37- There sure are a lot of Harby bots Time- 65874

Liu's Log: Floor 37. I happened upon a meditation blister. I took the opportunity to restore myself, and discovered I had a guest in the chambers of my mind. Somehow my fight with the thing inside the Unknown Agent left a piece inside of it inside me. Weakened, I was susceptible to its suggestions. I think I probably have its presence to thank for my rash decision to trust the alien bioscience of this place. Inside the meditation blister, I was able to marshal my will and excise it. When it left, it was with the sense of mocking laughter... I do not believe it was controlled by the intelligence of this place. Merely visiting?

Disturbing, regardless.

Equipment Addendum: My equipment continues to gradually erode. Even the nanites can only forestall the inevitable.

A taste of Seriously.jpg

The Apprentice

Re: Back from a bit of Intermission

Post by The Apprentice » Fri May 30, 2014 6:43 am

Floor 40- I feel like I've been here before, in a kinder reality Time- 73891

Liu's Log: Floor 40. There is an odd familiarity to this place. Almost as if I have been here many times before, in happier and gentler times. [Ed- At least 18 times. So many classes and difficulties!] The inhabitants have changed, though.

I almost died due to a very effective knockout gas variant. [Ed- I really, really, really almost did. I got knocked unconscious in the penultimate room. I approached it from the East as opposed to the North, like I generally do. A flurry of 'nades came from off screen, and one managed to render me unconsious. . I knew better, I should have approached from the North, coarse words may have been uttered.... A truly massive amount of prep and time on this run to end because of my own bloody stupidity. I went from 910 hp (my max) to sub 60hp. I sat and stared at the screen, not believing my luck. If I had failed whatever roll allows you to wake up, I would not have made it to the final room.

A Seriously run down the drain, because I didn't come from the North.

Don't do what I did. Come from the North or bring contained armor so the KO gas can't have its way with you.]

Allowed that brief moment of respite, I triggered the nanite meds and master kits, and fired rocket after rocket into the room.

I encountered a Zuul Lord, whose mind seemed to be linked to the process of controlling this place. Stripped of his guard outside, he proved unable to match my mental powers. I killed his elite guard one by one, preventing him from remounting. Paralyzing where possible, locking them in place with TK otherwise, each Elite required 3/4 of my Pulse Rifle's energy.

With the Lord's death, something that was keeping this facility cohesive has faded. I can sense creatures turning on one another, others simply fleeing their confinement. I will wait with Ms. Hoshinara a bit, rebuilding our strength and letting the creatures of this place thin their own numbers. But not too long- we have a planet to save and discoveries to report.

Look at all those nanomeds.jpg

Obligatory Screenie.jpg

My trusty blade.jpg

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Fri May 30, 2014 6:59 am

So, debrief!

Number one lesson learned from this run is if you find a contained suit of armor, or the filtration mask- YOU KEEP IT. For the Penultimate room. Those KO nades are the new VN Probe Disintegration Beam "you auto-lose" BS/highly honed roguelike mechanic.

Additionally, enemies have such large HP pools I cannot see a victory being possible on this level without a very good melee weapon. You just won't have enough ammo, even assuming you find all the right weapon types. So Ad Claws, Ad Sword, SotS, Starspear, Vorpal Sword, or similar. I also don't know how you can go toe-to-toe with creatures in Melee without some sort of lockdown- like fear/para/Shrap Storm.

I will be happy to be proved wrong, though. ;)

Regarding gear, I think I found the single most important piece for making the Psion the best he can be- the WW Gauntlets. On Seriously, doubling your rate of psi regen is extremely valuable. I also got lucky with the only two functioning Aug Bays I found, but +Speed would be been even more amazing. Perhaps interestingly, I didn't use duplication but once or twice (shell casings) because of all the prep work that went into the blue-room setup. Food was never an issue due to the drops from enemies and my cache of Heroic Sotswitches and Baconwithes.

In closing- I'm really glad KP added the blueroom mechanic. It gave me the ability to try a new style of play, and starting out with gobs of gear was a refreshing change. I've gotten a truly massive amount of fun out of the Pit, and look forward to the rumored/not denied/not confirmed Pit 2. :toast:

Rioji

Re: A Serious Tale of a Blue Psion [Complete!]

Post by Rioji » Sat May 31, 2014 3:38 am

Oh wow, that score. That level. Disappointed that your Adamantium Sword just barely edged out my TK Fist in damage inflicted, haha. Also found it funny that I had 1k more HP than you, even though you finished 12 levels above me. But I need that extra HP with my stupid Flak Jacket...

Mostly agree with your takeaways. I remember when the final floor was the calm after the storm. Now it's probably the most dangerous floor by far. I suppose the next hurdle will be Seriously with a non-psi character. Pretty sure it won't be me that does it, though, unless I get bored with Insane :roll:

Svankensen

Re: A Serious Tale of a Blue Psion [Complete!]

Post by Svankensen » Sat May 31, 2014 4:34 am

Ah, those lovely KO grenades. I lost my first psion to that room (and an evil WH trap on floor 36 plus another in 38), and now i always use a sealed armor for it, if i have it. Didnt know the north entrance had any benefits, i really dont understand how that would go. Anyway, congratulations!

Also, i dont know half the equipment on your screenshot. I suspect part of it is because i play gold, but im pretty sure the other part is because i havent played enough.

Worthy of note is the silly ammount of weapon biomods. Does Seriously spawn more weapon lockers or just got lucky?

Return to “War Stories”