Tell me how to not screw this up

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
MTaur

Re: Tell me how to not screw this up

Post by MTaur » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:35 am

Also, is it just me, or does Flame Pistol suck? I'm not even one-shotting Zuul Infant Swarms... At any rate, I don't have any other use for fuel cells. I'm not sure whether to toss it now, or if I should use it up first. This weapon makes Pepperbox look good. Like, really good. :-P
Joining Forces: the parody fan comic with pit peril, dysfunctional teamwork, and suggestive situations with aliens!

http://joining-forces.blogspot.com

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:20 am

When you have other weapons and ammo, I'm not sure how to use the flame pistol to advantage.

Perhaps there is something about being on fire as a status effect... ? Currently, I don't keep the flame pistol long once other options are available.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 am

Here at the entrance to Floor 34. Recently found a Lightning Sword and an Assault Rifle. Just took the Rifle rounds and juggled in a nearby Tesseract Well to make room for the Lightning Blade. The Lightning Blade, as you can see, hasn't held up well. Part of that is probably due to my growing impatience with small proteans, which is probably partly due to my bubbling urge to see my inventory blow up so I can pick up more stuff. I should probably be more kind to my things. :-/

I also lost some anti-venom and assorted goodies when I somehow ended up surrounded by three snakes and a few other bad things. Luckily the large protean wasn't able to navigate the crowd too well. I had to waste a couple of frag grenades... It kind of makes me wonder how I'll handle tough situations for the remaining floors. It doesn't really bode that well, not having much of a plan for this sort of thing other than "melee, tank it out, and consume"... I probably need to find ways to not get surrounded, but that can be tricky. I could use my senses more, but that's costly. I kind of miss my scan helmet, and I don't know if I'll ever get more Optics. I should probably draw enemies more and not try to be sneaky too much, even if cleaning them up seems like a chore sometimes. :-/

I'm not quite sure if there's ever a good time to just go backpack crazy and forget some of my other weapons. I imagine the ammo would be gone in no time, not even lasting just for Floor 40 without heavy use of melee when available. Vorpal and Lightning look close to ready to give me some more space, but it's still probably too early to give them a push. Hmmmm...

Also, I might need a map of Floor 40... I don't think the wiki has one. :(
Joining Forces: the parody fan comic with pit peril, dysfunctional teamwork, and suggestive situations with aliens!

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:14 pm

I sense impatience, which happens to be the #1 cause of death in the pit. I'm scared for you now.. Don't be afraid to take breaks when you notice yourself making decisions out of frustration or just playing too quickly.

Khrowe

Post by Khrowe » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Yea, otherwise you do stupid things like concede defeat to security bots when you have a level-up heal waiting.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:13 am

Yeah, it's hard. I was too busy to play more today, but it is a bit tense and it still seems so far to the end. I don't really have a good plan for big mobs coming from lots of directions. :(

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:28 am

* About to enter Floor 37
* Had one dangerous spell of unconsciousness.
* A trio of large proteans later helped me make room for some backpacks. Not really sure how to feel about it. Probably not a good thing. Pepperbox is sort of missed but not really.

I'm still ok, but my AoE options remain somewhat slim. I do have Sabotage, which might do some nice work later on. But a lot of resting is probably in the cards, and Metabolic Control can't stretch my food supply indefinitely with this Psi regen rate. I don't expect to find a Shotgun in time for the end.

I don't really know how this is going to turn out. I have a lot of lasers to pew pew with, Chitin Plate in good shape, and one Ad Claws, but... that's about it.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:41 am

You have a meson rifle and Ad Claws. You have plenty of ammo and Metabolic Control. If you use MC and then rest, don't you have a net gain of psi points? What is your MC skill level?

Anyway, it looks like you have all the tools you need to win, just take is slow and careful ;)

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:13 am

The Apprentice wrote:You have a meson rifle and Ad Claws. You have plenty of ammo and Metabolic Control. If you use MC and then rest, don't you have a net gain of psi points? What is your MC skill level?

Anyway, it looks like you have all the tools you need to win, just take is slow and careful ;)

Not sure of the exact Redaction level, but I picked up Regen and stopped. I have just enough max Psi to cast Regen and Metabolic Control from full, which can be nice, but getting max Psi in the first place is a bit of a trick. Metabolic --> Rest --> Metabolic + Regen --> Rest is becoming a thing I do. MC seems to function like Ice Gem, but idk if hungrier classes merely have reduced hunger...

Still have those cheesesteaks, but I can easily see using one per floor if I have to rest spam. Getting up to 100 Psi for MC can take some time.

I still need a map of Floor 40, I think. :( Opening doors at random and hoping for the best might not have ideal results, assuming I get that far...

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:43 am

Why in the world would you use regen? Like really, I don't get it the way the game is currently designed.

MC reduces your food consumption to zero. If you use MC and rest, you regain HP AND Psi at no food cost. Until you have MC of 100, a skillful player cancels the rest when MC runs out of juice- once it runs out the food consumption begins again.

So if you have a redaction skill of 80, pop MC then rest for 80 turns. Cancel the rest when the MC graphic disappears, or you can keep tabs from the Psi Skill Screen. I would be surprised if using MC and resting you do not end up with a net gain of PSI points. ;)

Re the map of floor 40--- as long as you are careful about hallways, and remember you can close doors once you peek into a room, you don't need a map. More to the point, I don't even think the wiki has one up. Oh- why is your Aias belt not equipped in the last picture?

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:01 am

Actually, the Scout's psi regen (on anything but easy) is 4 per 4 ticks, which is equivalent to 1 per tick. MC costs 100 psi. Therefore, using MC can't let your psi actually go up over time if you're using MC at all opportunities.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:23 am

ScoSteSal118 wrote:Actually, the Scout's psi regen (on anything but easy) is 4 per 4 ticks, which is equivalent to 1 per tick. MC costs 100 psi. Therefore, using MC can't let your psi actually go up over time if you're using MC at all opportunities.

Welp, consider me corrected! When I played the scout last I must have had a psi-regen boosting item or something. Looking at the Psi table on the Wiki, apparently only the Stirker, Psion, and Seeker can bank Psi points by the MC/Rest cycle without Psi Regen boosting items. Presumably the Shep can as well, but he isn't on the table yet.

And, to keep everyone properly cautious of Seriously, Seriously halves the Scout's psi regen rate.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:12 am

Hmmm. If MC turns Psi into Health, and so does Regen, but MC does it better, then maybe Regen is almost pointless, except as maybe a combat buff for someone with excessive amounts of Psi? idk. The levels of Redaction don't hurt, though, and Scout gets a ton of points.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks for the support and advice so far, people. I got hooked on Desktop Dungeons for the last week or so, and just today I've only played half of a floor so far for the first time since my last screenshot. No big mobs yet, and I have two living steel for my chitin plate. I just reaaaally need to not get mobbed, like ever, because my Scattergun can use up its 100 ammo or so in no time, and my grenades are sort of meh too.

MTaur

Post by MTaur » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:18 am

Ok. About to enter Floor 39. Chitin plate at 40/180 or something, but two Living Steel patches should be more than plenty. I can't hold all these backpacks! I have two more sitting at my feet.

Still not finding grenades or shotguns. I did find a Vorpal Blade and ingredients for another Ad Claw, which I went ahead and constructed. Which is great an all 90% of the time, but when everything goes crazy, you need AoE. Oh well. I'll just have to remember that it's getting increasingly OK to use my Meson rifle in emergencies... I just might want to put on my Targeting Helm too so I can hit half the time. I lost a couple of terror grenades dealing with a tough spot with some Zuul and a Large Protean, though.

Wormholed from 37 to 38, but it was no big deal - 37 was already half-clear, and the room I landed in wasn't horrible. There's nothing left in the well that I'm likely to ever need at this point, unless I find a shotgun for all those shells - it's not safe to count on your last one or two wells in the run not shutting down, anyway. I'll just have to dump my extra backpacks at the stairs from now on.

It's sort of unreal how a few lucky drops on floors 1-12 can snowball you through the rest of the game.

1.5 claws, 2.25 Chitin Plate +10 might +10 finesse, 1 Vorpal Blade, Meson, Adjudicator, and tons of lower-tier lasers. A couple scramblers and some pheremones. Should be fine, maybe. Could go unconscious and die at a bad time, though. At least enemies don't wander around looking for trouble on 40, IIRC.

Return to “War Stories”