Seriously? this is fun- Ranger

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
telph

Seriously? this is fun- Ranger

Post by telph » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 am

Hi! Little backstory first. I haven't played The Pit since the base game. I was one of the original players to beat the game on the hardest difficulty at the time (insane, my posts are still on here with times ect of what I believe to be the first recorded Scout Insane clear) I tried my hand with the Engi a bit more afterwards but ultimately gave up on it. Fast forward to now. Holy crapbaskets 3 whole xpacs to learn.

And whats this? 4 people beat your game on Insane so you added a new difficulty? :D :D Also at the time I was on here I made many posts about the extreme ease of obtaining and overwhelming strength of Chitin Armor. I am very glad they made adjustments to it.

So onto now again. I played til floor 30~ on Hard to relearn the game, botched a backpacking my gear around due to wormhole and goofed that all up. Decided to just dive on in to Seriously? and get myself a new clear. I started out on Floor 10 with 2 feeder runs planted into the safe room. Each of those feeders to 10 started on 5. It took 3 and 4 runs of 1-5 to get each of my 5-10 runs set. All of these feeder runs happened on Gunny, Ranger, and Warrior. I choose these 3 to suit my needs for gear when i planned on taking the Ranger the distance. Gunny gave me food a pistol and a rifle, Ranger let me stockpile rifle ammo, Warrior gave me grenades. Once I had my floor 10 run started it just kept rolling. Currently I'm about to go down to floor 21.

Belt of Aias, Ad claws, Ceramic armor. that is a carry if I play my cards right i'm guessing. The weapon package I have isn't too bad. Soon as I get a backup Laser Rifle I plan on crafting a pulse one. Overall nothing has been too scary, just gotta know how to play it out.

I have about 1 1/2 inventories worth of items I backpack around floor to floor with me. Noteables include 20-40 energy cells, 200-300 of rifle/shot/high cal ammo each, about 10 extra grenades, a cooker, loads of food, 2 extra tarka field kits, 6 terran med kits and about every useful ingredient. I learned my lesson finally about carting all this around. I walk the path beforehand to make sure I don't trip a wormhole then just follow it back.

So this is my first attempt at a real Seriously? run. Also I haven't beat the game since the base version, meaning I have no idea what the new last floor looks like.

skugge

Re: Seriously? this is fun- Ranger

Post by skugge » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Good luck! Its a whole different ball game now.

Rioji

Post by Rioji » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:32 am

You should win, as long as you play it safe. I think a straight win on Insane (no feeder runs) would actually be harder than what you're doing, but this'll still be a great accomplishment. Please post more pics of your progress, if you don't mind :)

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:12 am

Looks like a good position, to be sure! I wouldn't say it is "won" yet, though, as a single teleport trap can place you in a very dicey situation. I remember the days of backpacking the craft pile ;) A double wormhole trap made me abandon that practice if favor of just making do with the T-wells.

Feel free to keep posting pics!
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

telph

Post by telph » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:37 pm

Floor 21 was fairly exciting. Mainly due to all the Skunk Apes and Cyberbears who wanted to eat my inventory with explosions. With liberal use of cornering to draw everything to melee range I didn't take much AoEs. Best room was this one

I was tempted to just ignore it, but that weapons locker...

Using the doorway I broke the fight up into two groups and zerged the Mark3 down. by then the Mark2 was coming up and was able to drag him to the corner so I could pop in and not get grenade spammed. My reward?

:D

The armor pod had canadarmour in it which is pretty useless.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:14 pm

Ohhh and Alpha Flight appears just before Canada Day to kick your ass around a bit! :lol:

telph

Post by telph » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:10 pm

I had to look up both of those Mecron. Thanks for the Canadian history lesson. But really that armour has no use to me. Tarka and its bad compared to crafted Chitin.

telph

Post by telph » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:08 am

At the exit to Floor24. Nothing too exciting happened. Found the some VNs starting on floor22. As long as I know they are coming I can out range them easy enough.

I'm already starting to see a distinct lack of ammo boxes showing up so doing what I can to conserve and melee as much as I can. Think on 22 or 23 I had a great run of mobs that dropped ammo and a few crates that netted me like 200 shotty and 100 rifle.

Crafted a backup Ad Claw (have 2 or 3 nano recons still) and made the Liquidator which I am very surprised with how good it is compared to the crappy AK/blunderbuss/whatever rifle parts recipes. The acid sack to ammo conversion is also nice (1:4).

Found a 2nd Meson Rifle...So now I have 2 copies of Auto-Rifle, Auto-Shotgun, Meson Rifle for safe measures if something terribad happens to my gear.

Terrifying room of the night has been

once i finish backing gear around ill keep on delving.

telph

Post by telph » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:07 am

Ok im back again. so i stopped playing due to LoL and other things happening. but i think im back. i didn't die or anything on my run so its still sitting there waiting for me. right now im actually trying to unlocking infinite because i didn't know that was a thing. im really pretty drunk right now so im playing on easy and blindly smashing my keyboard to see how that works out.

I recently guided my friend through his very first hardmode clear and it made me want to play again.(he couldn't take seriously? for his first playthrough, i gave him that after some hassling) I was hoping infinite didn't a blue room but alas i guess we will have to figure out some terms of usage for competing against each other to stop cheese from happening.

anyway im hoping for an update to my run here within a week or so, i think ill have off early next week to get some games in. maybe tomorrow night depends on how things all go.

telph

Post by telph » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:10 am

immediate update: it didn't work! trying again though.
edit: ugh i cant play ranger for this with my save in use :(
edit edit: im trying the merc. i tried to avoid this game while drinjking for a reason im discovering now. goal is to hit anything and i see and have no thought out plans.
edit edit edit: wow this guy is a monster. such gear for level 5 feeder runs.

Return to “War Stories”