So close, yet so far

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
IIFraII

So close, yet so far

Post by IIFraII » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:42 pm

So.
I picked up the game again after some time.
Never won a game, never actually made it further than the early 30s so i made one or two feeding runs on an engi for a ranger on normal without being too seriuous about it.
This kind of properly boosted ranger steamrolls pretty much the first 20 floors.
In the 20s a little (big) annoying event: as i am loaded too much with stuff, i develop the habit of leaving non-immediately useful stuff in the ladder room of the previous floor (dont ask why not on the lobby of the next floor because i honestly wouldn't know how to answer).
The most cunning of you probably already figured out what happened.
That's right.
After dropping my stuff as usual i drop down, clear a few rooms and BAM:
teleport down 3 levels = my stuff locked in a floor i cant reach anymore.
And its not like i realized this right away...nooooooo..i obviously climbed up what i THEN realized were 3 floors and stared at the "ladder is blocked"(or whatever it is) message like an idiot.
Oh well, i lost some valuable piece of equipment like cooker, adamantium resin etc... but it's not like this little hiccup can backfire on me that much, right?!

Fast forward to the mid 30s.
Yes, some amazing drops like vorpal blade, meson rifle, adjudicator pushed me this far.
At level 35 or so the food situation starts to degenarate: not lack of food per se (even tho i dont have that much) but tragical scarcity of cookers.
Im at the point of having to burn 2/3 of my field surgeries as i cannot afford to rest or even sleep.
Im almost thinking of pulling the plug cos i couldn't stand not being able to make it after getting this far cos of food.
But i keep going anyways.
A blessed container of some kind grants me the most welcome drop of all: ez cooker again! 8)
At this point im loaded with raw food and cook, one at time ofc, 5 hero sostswitches.
The food issue is pretty well solved. YAY!

Very late 30s:
Another very problematic twofold situation arises: lack of both crafting stations and bindings, and as a result, of energy packpacks
Not an issue (sort of): i clear a couple floors without any energy weapon whatsoever.
The latter solves itself as a couple of little zuuls do me the favour of dropping some of those long desired strings, but the few crafting stations rngesus throws my way are the unìversal ones and cant use them.
A couple of backpacks and useless energy weapons drops let me fight my way to the LAST ROOM OF FLOOR 40 with my two energy weapons fully loaded and just an e.backpack in reserve.

There you have it: after unloading 9/10 of my meson rifle clip and just one zuul female down, i wonder how the hell im gonna clear the rest of em.
:cry:
Last edited by IIFraII on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScoSteSal118

Re: So close, yet so far

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Crap, that's disappointing. What do you have left in terms of other weapons? Healing and/or food (since the latter would potentially let you run out and rest for ages after taking a beating and killing one of them)?

IIFraII

Post by IIFraII » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:08 pm

ScoSteSal118 wrote:Crap, that's disappointing. What do you have left in terms of other weapons? Healing and/or food (since the latter would potentially let you run out and rest for ages after taking a beating and killing one of them)?

Pretty much just a vorpal blade as far as high penetration is concerned.
A couple shots of tarkan fs as i had to burn through most of it when i tried to melee down one of em and ended up grabbed on the doorway with the 3 of em pounding on me.
Plenty-ish of food and a couple of human medkits.
Situation is pretty dire, yep.

IIFraII

Post by IIFraII » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Down in glory i go

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:16 pm

Ooh, is that three impactors on the vorpal? What armor are you wearing?

IIFraII

Post by IIFraII » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:56 pm

ScoSteSal118 wrote:Ooh, is that three impactors on the vorpal? What armor were you wearing?

Ftfy

3 50% durability thingies, chitin armour, reduced to foil paper armor by the boss's special ability.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Sooo close!

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:13 pm

The armor degradation from the green-ball-of-energy gun, or a short-range aura? I've never gotten into melee with the final boss, so I don't know.'

Also, what was the final outcome?

MZ0125

Post by MZ0125 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:29 am

ScoSteSal118 wrote:The armor degradation from the green-ball-of-energy gun, or a short-range aura? I've never gotten into melee with the final boss, so I don't know.'

Also, what was the final outcome?

The Polarized Plasma weapons, the Lord use it.

IIFraII

Post by IIFraII » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:07 am

ScoSteSal118 wrote: what was the final outcome?

brujo

Post by brujo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Well, at least you had the courage to fight!
Once (also with ranger btw) I fully cleared floor 40, entered the last room, figured out that I couldn't handle with the Lord and his guards, walked out of the room and restarted the run.
:oops:

Return to “War Stories”