A Bug In The System - The Hiver Run

Share your tales of glory (or gory) here. ***WARN OF SPOILERS***
Caffeinated Goodness

A Bug In The System - The Hiver Run

Post by Caffeinated Goodness » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Hello there, I'm absolutely new here on the forums, but was requested by a certain Apprentice to post the details of this experimental project!

To preface this, I have only ever beaten the game on Easy as of writing this. I have gotten to the very end on normal a few times, only to eat it in oddly random ways (Such as being knocked unconscious, have my armor stolen, and then get eaten by three large fury friends during this shockingly sound nap.), and was looking for some way to make the Hiver viable, some hidden talent, or some way to shove that awesome knifegun on a pedestal.

As of yet, it seems his armor, humor, and pistol are it.

If this project works, I plan to do the same thing on Seriously, but for now this experiment is being carried out on Insane.

So, without further ado, here is the story of the bulky bug that maybe could...possibly.

(This run was semi-tested on my only win so far)

The Plan- Overpower and Ignore.

The overall plan here is to skip straight to floor 40 with more health and weaponry than would ever be needed.

So obviously his main downsides are hunger, and no skills to feed himself/open the fridge. So, step 1 is to make sure that this doesn't even matter.
This will be accomplished by ....

Training his traps to 80 via a mix of cooking a metric crapton of food, arming and disarming mines, munching on medkids, and, well.... finishing him off with a 1.8 million xp dump. He will march through the first few floors up until 15-19, and as soon as the slightest resistance comes up, he will just do a wormhole rush to the finish.

Gear:
Defense- Since he starts with 40 armor, I was really hoping to have him going with a set of ceramic plate, it seemed common enough of a drop to not have to worry, but as of yet, one has not presented itself. In a pinch, he will be sent down with a couple of impact vests and repair parts. The plan is to have very few heavy encounters up until the end, and to avoid most damage from the Lord himself via safespots. He will have a psi helm, since he can't use psionics at all, but it will only be used if something crazy comes up.

Offense- So far, weaponry is limited, but with a laser carbine and flechette AR, I think plinking should be a safe bet. His knifegun melee and a Heavy Assault Rifle will be used for all the little stuff on the way down, with about 70 grenades for the 40th floor, and anything bigger on the way to it. He will have all the gear he needs, so collateral damage shouldn't matter much.

Items: He will be going down with 15 wormhole traps (ideally, they've been oddly rare), a few disposable tools (Sensor, multi-tool, analyzer, pda, the usuals), a lot of energy cells, lots of ice gems and heroes, and, if I can get enough, nutbutters for instant healing. In a pinch, I'll figure out something else, but he should be a wall during this process. With a pocket tesseract and maxed inventory, there shouldn't be too much of a need for more space, but we'll see.

2015-02-06_00002.jpg

So, that's the basic idea, and if wormhole traps are a pain to find, I will simply go down as fast as possible, just plowing through everything, and then use the ones I have around floor 21-25. This should skip the dangerous stuff, and with any luck, they should toss the friendly bug down 4-6 floors every time.

As of right now, though, I've only gotten 3 wormhole traps, no better armor, and 1.4m in the box. Oh, and probably 15 inventories worth of food.

Obviously this run is an experiment, and has been pointed out, I probably should've been doing it on Seriously, since it doesn't look like the first 5 floors or last room will be too different for this guy, but any advice on stuff I might be missing would be a help.

-Update-
So this thing's finally starting, cooked a friggin ton of food..

...had about 60 surgeries....

...an then sorting through the ensuing gourmet mess....

It was finally time to do the thing!

2015-02-07_00001.jpg

Unfortunately, however, multiple wormhole traps were lost in a half tragic, half fortunate, tired over-clicking in what I thought was my pile of teleport traps. That being said, luckily none of them triggered, and I didn't use them all up, so 3 should be just fine for skipping the hardest floors, not to mention the one found along the way. I will note that for the Serious run, I will have to follow the suggestion for 2.5m xp, because even with the massive amount in there, it was still not enough to get Mr Rapari's stats to max by quite a bit. Silver lining: he's still massively over-powered, and has enough firepower to steamroll through many floors, enough food to just use any wormholes along the way, and enough extra cells to only need to hit one work bench before the ending there to have a shot at the ending. I never said I was good at this game, but I think this should be a pretty dang safe attempt. One more attempt will be made in the morning to find some more traps, and just go for it if that doesn't pan out. I also only got enough drops to make one cup of coffee in all of that 1.8m gathering, which has to be some sort of miracle in itself.

2015-02-07_00002.jpg

(Not sure if I did the image tags right there, not really 100% on how that works, but it sorta maybe looks right?)
Last edited by Caffeinated Goodness on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"I have no idea what I'm doing"
-Rapari

skugge

Re: A Bug In The System - The Hiver Run

Post by skugge » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:07 pm

First off - Welcome to the forums! I love the hiver and have died 3 times so far with him at floor 40. So im loving this idea :D

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like it will work.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:20 pm

awesome experiment!

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Welcome to the forums!

I'm diggin the piles of loot in that room- how close are you to your 1.8million XP goal?

(That is a lot of XP to dump into one guy- can the game even handle a level 100+ character? :insane: )
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

LordSynos

Post by LordSynos » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:15 am

The Apprentice wrote:(That is a lot of XP to dump into one guy- can the game even handle a level 100+ character? :insane: )

It is crazy XP, though only enough for level 84. 2,525,000 would be needed for level 100. I kinda want to do that now...

@Caffeinated - Your plan is insane, and I love it. I look forward to seeing how it goes. :D While I don't know much about difficulties beyond Easy, I've found Steroidal Venom, Berserker Serum, Chitin Armour and Adamantium Claws = Win.

Caffeinated Goodness

Post by Caffeinated Goodness » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:10 am

Oh dang, well if this works, I will have to try and break 100 for the big one!
Last edited by Caffeinated Goodness on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Rapari

Caffeinated Goodness

Post by Caffeinated Goodness » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:55 pm

-Update-
So after putzing around a bit more, wound up finding a well and a lab on the 7th floor, wound up taking double the amount of stuff expected, save for wormhole traps, but having found 5 more, traps got leveled up a bit more.

That being said, I was clearing out the early area with an AR that was just lying around, and it'll be useless later...and there's buckets of ammo for it, plus I think at some point the Hiver got the same dodging bonus the scout has, because bullets just don't hit him, I'm not sure what's up with that.

2015-02-07_00006.jpg

The early levels were basically a mech-pocalypse, and the happy little hiver trekked on, metal scraps marking his path. Floors 1-17 are illustrated below, and on that same floor, some resin was finally found to make the good 'ol claws. By 17 had also made a pulse resonator for finding more shortcuts, and a rosetta brain.

Notes: Seems that mine and poison traps are the best for arming and disarming before level 40, still unclear as to why some of them have far higher requirements. Also, seems like floor 21-25 would be the ideal time to use the wormholes for the Seriously run, the knifegun has absolutely torn up every other thing until the claws were acquired. Seems after that, the bigger stuff would be more problematic. EMPs and small grenades have been great, frags seem like a waste of space right now. Also, again, whether high finesse or what (100 now), bullets just don't hit him, and it's pretty hilarious. Oh, and I never figured the assault flamer would absolutely decimate fryoids. So that's neat.

Also interesting, apparently the hiver only hits once with the claws. That's...a bummer. But, knifegun, I guess.

rb1.jpg

Ending Floor 25, leaving 4 warbots and countless other wrecks behind so far, when Senor Knifegun ran into his toughest challenge yet: Himself

2015-02-07_00015.jpg
-Rapari

Caffeinated Goodness

Post by Caffeinated Goodness » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:39 pm

-Update 3-

So a few things. First off, jumped from 27 to 39, took only 2 traps, so that was a success, had one trap left over, with the extra I found along the way. Wound up having both wearable and natural armor melted while running for that second jump (An unfortunate landing into a room with 3 rippers). But, at this point, I was thinking "Hey, I have an image inducer, I will do as I did on my ranger run, land, toss the tools, go invisible, and sneak into the final boss floor".

Guess how that went?

2015-02-07_00022.jpg

Having been stripped of a good half of my armor, and no ways to safely jump into the last ladder, I just had to chug some coffee and sprint like a madbug to the finish. Fortunately, I had found an augmentation bay earlier that gave an extra speed boost.

2015-02-07_00018.jpg

So, without about 2200 damage take on the way down, it was time to sit, heal, and consume sotswiches like they finally decided to go old. It was at this point that I think we discovered another bug, no pun surprisingly intended...the silver era bracers only added 5 hp per rest cycle. So, I was healing 215 per rest, 220 with the bracers. It was kind of a bummer, but nontheless, the last rampage was a go.

2015-02-07_00024.jpg
-Rapari

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:09 pm

see? things like this run makes me so happy about the blue rooms! :twisted:

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:10 am

Needs more laser carbine ;)

Caffeinated Goodness

Post by Caffeinated Goodness » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:36 am

-Update 4-

This is the first time I've ever even done floor 40 on anything other than easy, so it's been a learning experience. So, the effective 90 armor I was enjoying all game pretty much went down to 50, at which point I now remember that I should've not accidentally eaten my fungus about 30 floors ago. Regardless, stuff happened, here are pictures! The Knifegun, though, is really holding it's own. It has been better than the claws, frankly. It's a good pistol aside from being a very good melee weapon, but with the two upgrades, things just run away from it. As they should.

-Rapari

Caffeinated Goodness

Post by Caffeinated Goodness » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:51 am

....and now, it's go time.

-Rapari

Caffeinated Goodness

Post by Caffeinated Goodness » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:21 am

So now the pictures where I totally didn't just sit in the doorwary and plink the crap out of everything. They actually...had a really hard time even landing a hit. His guards missed every single shot, he got maybe 12 shots in out of around 45 or so.

-Rapari

Caffeinated Goodness

Post by Caffeinated Goodness » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:25 am

Finally, the run was done, with, for once, enough ammo and food to actually probably make it back to the surface.

Even got that final level-up to 90 on the last boss, couldnt've planned it better!

Next, Seriously!
-Rapari

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:29 am

Nicely done! Any estimates as to how long the entire project took?

Return to “War Stories”