Did a recent patch alter the rate of psionic skill upgrades?

If you want to talk about weapon specs, items details, and recipes, do it here. ***SPOILERS***
Fringeware

Did a recent patch alter the rate of psionic skill upgrades?

Post by Fringeware » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:06 am

Back in the game mechanics thread, I reported a clear night-and-day effect of Brains on the rate of psionic skill upgrades, but I tried to quantify tonight and couldn't find the effect at all anymore. I'm certain that the old effect was real (the difference between Brains 1 and Brains 100 was a factor of several hundred), but now the upgrade rate seems to be flat, maybe 5%, regardless of Brains. Was the Brains dependency an unintentional bug? I always thought that it was a weird and somewhat messy exception.

Is there a place where I can see all of the past patch histories? I've tried searching through the forums, but I can never be sure if I am finding them all.

The Apprentice

Re: Did a recent patch alter the rate of psionic skill upgra

Post by The Apprentice » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:19 am

I don't believe there was ever a patch notation about the rate of psi-skill ups. I do think different psi-skills have different chances of increase now, but that is just based on my subjective experience.

Heal seems like it rarely pays out, along with the first mechaempathy skill. Psi Drain and Fire seem like they upgrade more frequently. I do think Mec said that all characters have the same chance to level psi skills through use, as otherwise it would be a nightmare to balance. I could be misquoting.

I don't think I was much help, on balance. :oops:
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Fringeware

Post by Fringeware » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:30 am

I'm reasonably certain the various psi skills have the same upgrade rate. Things like TK Fist and Energy Drain seem to have better rates because you use them a lot. Fire really does seem to have a better rate, but I'm pretty sure that's because each plume of flame gets counted as a separate use (this would also be consistent with how the game handles automatic weapons).

Also, the various weapon skills seem to have a 5% chance of giving an upgrade (measured over several thousand trials with several different weapon types). It would make sense for the psi skills to follow the same rules. I know that the weird Brains dependency used to be real, but it looks like it's gone now.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:22 am

Interesting.

Poor brains. :cry:

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:59 am

Question about the Merc and psi skill upgrades: Does the Merc's reduced chance to "skill use skill up" also apply to the chance to level psi through use?

Rwlyra

Post by Rwlyra » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:59 pm

I wish Kerberos would be more transparent about such changes. It's not really fun to obscure such important mechanics.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:54 pm

"Back in the game mechanics thread, I reported a clear night-and-day effect of Brains on the rate of psionic skill upgrades,"

Awesome...except for the TINY fact there has NEVER been such a relationship...EVER.

This tends to be why we don't get involved in mechanics discussions much ;)

tehtscho

Post by tehtscho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:27 pm

well if you played the lich, he seems to have the same skilluppenalty as the mercenary has. he doesnt get skillups when opening stuff and it seems this effect also triggers when using psi skills. so if you are lucky to get skillup from using a psipower it might get canceled 8).
This is btw a reason why the leveling with a psi trap just takes ages and isnt worthwhile if you honor time at least a tiny bit^^.
(ps: with the new armor and a psionic booster you can do as much nonsense as you want, but even then it takes AGES)

Flanowski

Post by Flanowski » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:26 pm

Since when Lich doesnt natively lvl up his skills when below 45 ( or 100 for psi ) ? It works for me.

tehtscho

Post by tehtscho » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:59 pm

well, like with the merc you dont allways get the skillup. just test it and open a couple of doors...

thelankyyankee

Post by thelankyyankee » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 am

When I was playing as the Lich, sometimes after leveling up EVERY skill only takes one skillpoint to level (even stuff that I can't have leveled, like spear, etc.). I'm not sure if this is a bug, or intentional, but it's swell when it happens (+1/+4 levelups are pretty rough haha).

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:11 am

you were only looking at the psi end of the skill list which is always 1

thelankyyankee

Post by thelankyyankee » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:24 am

I know that those always 1, but it applied to the entire list. Like I mentioned previously, even things that I could not have leveled, engineering being an example. Might have just been an isolated bug or something. If it happened again, I'll screenshot it for you.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:01 am

yep screenies or it didn't happen...just like ufos! ;)

Return to “Spoilertown”