Add IRC Chat Channel Functionality?

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: castewarkp

Fortescue

Add IRC Chat Channel Functionality?

Post by Fortescue » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:41 am

Hi, I don't know if you've tried ToME4 (Tales of Maj'Eyal), but one of the best features of that roguelike is the built in IRC-style chat. I noticed you have done something like this for SotS2 as well, which is great. I actually went in to your server and created a channel for #thepit.

What would be really great is if The Pit itself had an optional IRC chat window you could use while playing to talk to other players and ask for advice. You could even have the channel be notified when someone got a Steam achievement, or died after floor X (say, 10? to reduce spam).

I think this would be great for the game :o Maybe just on PC though. I could see the Android / iOS version being hard pressed for real estate and not the easiest to talk to people on.

The Apprentice

Re: Add IRC Chat Channel Functionality?

Post by The Apprentice » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:49 am

This IRC thing is fun! However, how do you solve concerns about civility? Not everyone who plays games is the nicest. How does the SotS2 chat solve for this?

Shocking, I know.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Fortescue

Post by Fortescue » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:09 am

Let some community members be moderators. IRC supports this functionality. Really, ToME does not have much of a problem with this.

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:23 am

I haven't seen real issues with civility on the SotS2 chat, probably because :
a.) the community is pretty small
b.) this kind of game tends to attract more civil people than average

Of course, I've only been on it for a small % of its existence, but it's statistically unlikely that I wouldn't have seen any real issues if they were recurring.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:04 pm

WE have been asked to ban about a dozen monsters since sots2 chat started

skugge

Post by skugge » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Mecron wrote:WE have been asked to ban about a dozen monsters since sots2 chat started

You should just throw them down the pit Mecron :pit:

Fortescue

Post by Fortescue » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 pm

skugge wrote:
Mecron wrote:WE have been asked to ban about a dozen monsters since sots2 chat started

You should just throw them down the pit Mecron :pit:

wop wooooppppppppppppppppp

:awesome:

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Just pointing out to BT that once again, reality is slightly more complicated ;)

Fortescue

Post by Fortescue » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:28 pm

Mecron wrote:Just pointing out to BT that once again, reality is slightly more complicated ;)

I hope that since you haven't shot this down like you explicitly did in another thread, it means you are considering this feature :) Because you need more PC-only features to push back the mobile releases even further (noooooooooo)!

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:40 pm

lol you begin to grasp the dilemmas, grasshopper...excellent! :twisted:

Fortescue

Post by Fortescue » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Mecron wrote:lol you begin to grasp the dilemmas, grasshopper...excellent! :twisted:

btw while I have your attention I just wanna say... I love you guys for taking a firm stand against rape culture with a sticky forum post a while back. Thank you so much for that. I've just had a really unfortunate experience with /r/roguelikes over on Reddit where I got confirmation that they are horrible assholes. Been almost a week now and I'm still waiting for one of their moderators to make a post like yours (they told me they are going to).

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:58 pm

I am sorry for your situation but glad anything we did helped. Its coming more to the forefront now but I still think its important for everyone, dev, publisher and fan alike to stand up and say what is acceptable. And to realize that silence is endorsement of these dysfunctional creatures.
Hang in there and if you need to link to our stuff feel free. No one should stand by themselves.

Fortescue

Post by Fortescue » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Mecron wrote:I am sorry for your situation but glad anything we did helped. Its coming more to the forefront now but I still think its important for everyone, dev, publisher and fan alike to stand up and say what is acceptable. And to realize that silence is endorsement of these dysfunctional creatures.
Hang in there and if you need to link to our stuff feel free. No one should stand by themselves.

If you don't mind, could you post a link to that? I just looked around for it and I couldn't find it. Thanks!

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Fortescue wrote:
Mecron wrote:Just pointing out to BT that once again, reality is slightly more complicated ;)

I hope that since you haven't shot this down like you explicitly did in another thread, it means you are considering this feature :) Because you need more PC-only features to push back the mobile releases even further (noooooooooo)!

Hmm, but nothing prevents having IRC on mobile... there are several clients already that do that. The only issues I see is that you need to deal gracefully with disconnections, and maybe have easily accessible shortcuts for the most used commands...

Return to “Suggestions”