DO OR DIE BIOMES

A lot of gamers means a lot of opinions - share and discuss them here.

Moderator: castewarkp

tehtscho

DO OR DIE BIOMES

Post by tehtscho » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Biomes are pretty rare and most of us only visit the first floor for some food and go back to the normal subfloors anyway. They only spawn around 15-25 (just guessed). At this stage you generally still lack too many essential loot to go completly through the biom.

Here my suggestion:
Biomes could be very small, only one floor deep.
BUT if you enter it the entry seals itself so you have no way to go back and are forced to go to the exit. Some people will actually see a desert biome by themself and not only the entry^^.

I would want more of these biomes in later floors but i guessed you are pretty fixed on only one biome per game 8P.

Masque

Re: DO OR DIE BIOMES

Post by Masque » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:01 pm

I think they must be just more rewarding, but not unavoidable. Some new rare objects to spawn only in biomes is a good solution, in my opinion.

tehtscho

Post by tehtscho » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:06 pm

Well they are rewarding enough in my opinion. They generally have a good ammount of food. But you only need a handful and you dont really have enough ammo to invest in more than one floor.

Masque

Post by Masque » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:18 pm

And what if on lvl 3 of biome will be able to spawn some, let's say "Nutrient generating facility", that drops item to generate soylent wines from any organic ingridient ? :)

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Biomes, as they are currently implemented, do seem light on the reward scale vis-a-vi normal floors. This makes them less interesting to me as a player, because the chance of finding high-value loot in a locker is a key part of the enjoyment for me.

Currently, it is often optimal to go down the three biome floors and then backtrack after you have harvested the food and XP, resulting in a net gain of components, XP, and food. Unless you see the Desert Biome, in which case--- IT'S A TRAP! Turn around and go back, unless you have enough food and really really would like the XP.

I like the idea of locking a player into the biome (panel sealing shut behind you), but only if there was some clue a player could pick up on before making the choice. Maybe the hatch down has a subtle biome specific graphical treatment? Some sand grains around a desert biome hatch, leaves around the jungle, etc... Creatures that can only spawn in a biome would be nifty too, and make filling out the sotsdex a reason to venture down as well.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

tehtscho

Post by tehtscho » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:11 pm

well yes^^ the biome entry would have to look different.. or not if you feel like being cruel^^

Return to “Suggestions”