The pit is supposed to be an abandoned place? (Spoilers)

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse as Discovered in The Pit

Moderator: Erinys

Pie Flavor

The pit is supposed to be an abandoned place? (Spoilers)

Post by Pie Flavor » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:30 pm

I found some contradictions lore wise of the general feel of the facility we call The Pit

According to the entry cutscene, it is an ancient alien facility hidden in some mountains that nobody really knows what's it about, as every expedition into the mountains failed to return.

If we skewer through the ingame console messages, apparently it's a research facility that captures species and races from the outside and tests all kinds of things on them, namely a disease that turns them insane/makes them immune to other diseases, etc...

Now when you first enter the pit the place seems to abandoned, ruined consoles galore, test subjects are running on the hallways freely wreaking havoc to anything at sight, bots don't even bother controlling them, and they often get killed by collateral fire from those crazed test subjects. Each floor of the facility is a complete mess of organization, no decentralization, some floors may contain several surgery rooms and a random armory in it, you can go through 7 floors without finding a cafeteria, the layout of the rooms look completely random and that it had 0 thought behind its construction, many floors lack essential stations for security and maintenance (many floors lack operational repair stations, surveillance consoles, even security bots to handle an hypothetical alarm)

Then we get to find actual real time messages from "System Administrator", who is constantly threatening you à là GLaDOS, knowing each and every single one of your steps, taunting you and acting as if there is some kind of overwatch on the entire facility. There are even messages of the system admin alerting security bots to handle those little green mans, telling them to "use high penetration weapons only" because they escaped, yet when you find those said little green men, the security bots are allied with them and don't even bother touching them.

So my question is: is the Pit supposed to be an abandoned facility with a sentient AI system that took over (kinda like in Portal 2) but that is completely unable to control it, or is it supposed to be an operational facility in which experiments are still going on and that there is actually some kind of harmony or organization of the infrastructures in it?

Sevain

Re: The pit is supposed to be an abandoned place? (Spoilers)

Post by Sevain » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Look around you past level 20. Sure did not look abandoned to me.

Mecron
Kerberos

Post by Mecron » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:34 pm

Degenerate is a better word than abandoned once you start to understand the horror of the place ;)

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 am

The word "abandoned" is used because the player's idea of the Pit before entering are based on rumor and supposition, not fact. The Pit was assumed to be abandoned because the builders of the Pit were long extinct; the race known as Arbuda sapiens was wiped out completely by the Bloodweaver after they were forced to construct the facility.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Pie Flavor

Post by Pie Flavor » Fri May 03, 2013 10:07 pm

Erinys wrote:The word "abandoned" is used because the player's idea of the Pit before entering are based on rumor and supposition, not fact. The Pit was assumed to be abandoned because the builders of the Pit were long extinct; the race known as Arbuda sapiens was wiped out completely by the Bloodweaver after they were forced to construct the facility.

--Arinn

ah ok, that explains why the facility went completely haywire, seeing how there was no management by the very creators for a long time, but it still doesn't explain the role of "System Administrator", and the seemingly chaotic layout of the facilities (you can attribute that to game randomization balancing)

ScoSteSal118

Post by ScoSteSal118 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:35 pm

Wasn't the creator the Bloodweaver (using telepathic coercion to force the Arbudans to build his Pit) and didn't he leave the System Administrator as a sort of regent to keep research happening in the place while he was gone?

Why is it, if the System Administrator was there in control of things and had all those security bots, that the place is so crazy and chaotic (eg. subjects being allowed outside cells)? Why do the floors have such inscrutable room layouts?

fibio

Post by fibio » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Turns out Bloodweaver has a thing for free range test subjects, he says it makes them more interesting :twisted:
Buy my book - Six Seconds of Moonlight on the kindle store.

Anyone can be a god beneath the moonlight, but who can be a hero?

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Also keep in mind that despite the apparent chaos, the creatures of the Pit are NOT fighting and eating each other. Someone is still keeping the coercion process going.

Things are breaking down at the edges, however, as can be seen by the confused Tarkas who are able to attack and damage other inhabitants and equipment.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Mockery

Post by Mockery » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:22 am

Erinys wrote:The word "abandoned" is used because the player's idea of the Pit before entering are based on rumor and supposition, not fact. The Pit was assumed to be abandoned because the builders of the Pit were long extinct; the race known as Arbuda sapiens was wiped out completely by the Bloodweaver after they were forced to construct the facility.

--Arinn

I don't suppose we can hit you up for more info on Arbuda sapiens?

Or is it somewhere in the console messages or a lower floor, because I ain't too good at this game.

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:54 am

There are some message(s?) about the construction of the facility and the fate of the previous inhabitants. As long as you are playing on normal or higher, my understanding is that all the messages are available for players to find- there isn't a subset that is limited to lower floors or higher difficulties.

There may be even more with the new messages in Gold- I haven't cracked them all yet.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:15 pm

The Apprentice wrote:Also keep in mind that despite the apparent chaos, the creatures of the Pit are NOT fighting and eating each other. Someone is still keeping the coercion process going.

Things are breaking down at the edges, however, as can be seen by the confused Tarkas who are able to attack and damage other inhabitants and equipment.

Something tells me confused Tarkas are just "test subjects" that haven't been -fully- broken yet... or, at least, not "properly" broken as to be obedient as desired(maybe somewhat like a certain spaceship's crew after their encounter with a certain space cetacean).

Return to “Son of The Lore”