*spoilers* Message 261

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse as Discovered in The Pit

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

*spoilers* Message 261

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:27 am

*spoilers ahead*

Tamiko Hoshinara: I could never remember the detail of the dream. Just the darkness. The Running. The Pursuit. Dark Corridors of Steel ((undecrypted)) stone. Fleeing from things that squealed and shriekded and roared and howled. Hungry. Terrible things.

Erinys, this might be pure coincidence, but I recently borrowed a book from my sister and I couldn't help but wonder if this message might not have been inspired by a particular novel called Twelves Kingdom? As I couldn't help but eeringly be reminded of the intro from that novel(in a nice way, mind you). Though I'll aknowledge it might be purely a coincidence ^^;

Ciurrioc

Re: *spoilers* Message 261

Post by Ciurrioc » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:35 pm

I called it :D Escape from the pit

can I has Cassandra tag now :D
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Purely a coincidence. I've never heard of the book. But I have played the Pit. :) And an underground facility full of monsters is an underground facility full of monsters. ;)

--Arinn

P.S. What did you call, Ciurrioc? Getting the full Cassandra tag requires you to have called something pretty exactly. A partial prediction only gets you the Doomsayer badge. ;)
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:32 pm

A fun coincidence nonetheless :)

The wording was nonetheless very similar(at least to the french version of the book my sister owned and insisted I read), since the main character in the book(a modern day human) recount a reccuring dream she had which was very similar to Tamiko, down right to the wording of "things that squealed and shriekded and roared and howled" regarding the monsters in her own dream so I was wondering if it was a work you knew of and thus had intended to give a sort of nod to ^^;

I've barely begun reading the novels though, so I was still mainly at the introduction which saw these similar lines(in hindsight they're very much different things) when I fell on Tamiko's log hence the surprise. As for the novel themselves they are japanese "light novels" translated to french that my sister was suggesting me to read due to how the setting universe was inspired by more classical(rather than outright "anime-ized", to use a sort of figure of speech) chinese and japanese mythology.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:30 pm

If there is a mutual influence it would be Lovecraft. At the Mountains of Madness was written in 1931.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Ciurrioc

Post by Ciurrioc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:35 am

lmao escaping from the pit in the Next iteration of our homicidal depression in the ground of course. :awesome:
Has seen the Cover of the fabled Mecronomicon

"Who's hands shape what is"

Been around since 07...forum ate my account...rip 8/3/13

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:20 am

Erinys wrote:If there is a mutual influence it would be Lovecraft. At the Mountains of Madness was written in 1931.

--Arinn

Ohh, I still need to read Lovecraft's works. I still feel bad about it.

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:23 pm

No need to feel bad--his work is not exactly "easy reading" for some--but he is important because of his originality. He was the wellspring of a lot of very powerful and fruitful ideas in the early 20th century, and he has been hugely influential for almost 90% of the significant horror writers in English ever since, and a significant number of science fiction writers as well.

--Arinn

Return to “Son of The Lore”