Proteans in the Pit

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse as Discovered in The Pit

Moderator: Erinys

Ludovsky

Proteans in the Pit

Post by Ludovsky » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:23 pm

It's something I just began to think about, but I've been lately musing about the Proteans that are found within the Pit.
Gameplay wise, they seem to cooperate with most monsters, as one could almost expect.

However, reading the logs entry in the game, one get the feeling that they are(or at least were) quite the rebelious critters that were pretty hard to rein in... if at all. Special notes about the entry(ies?) pertaining to adaptoids and "whoever let proteans get their tendrils/tentacles on living metal".

I must say, sometimes it makes me wonder just how much sentient the proteans(and at some level just how advanced they are) and if in fact their nature as "colony" organisms give them some resistances to psychic domination.

Though then again even a wild beast can be pretty rebellious... though a lot of the proteans' background make them sound like they are much more clever, and potentially much more willful, than such an interpretation(their continued chasing of the Gardener to give just one example).

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Re: Proteans in the Pit

Post by Erinys » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:05 am

Proteans are unbelievably dangerous and can be extremely intelligent. They have been around for literally billions of years and have already destroyed one major interstellar civilization which was far more advanced than any of the currently extant empires.

They are to be killed with fire wherever and whenever they are found, if we are wise.

--Arinn
Support my independent fiction campaign on Patreon.
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

Ludovsky

Post by Ludovsky » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:15 am

Erinys wrote:Proteans are unbelievably dangerous and can be extremely intelligent. They have been around for literally billions of years and have already destroyed one major interstellar civilization which was far more advanced than any of the currently extant empires.

They are to be killed with fire wherever and whenever they are found, if we are wise.

--Arinn

So, I get the feeling that their "race"(so to speak) is not one can really do "diplomacy" with? :p

Then again, the fact they obliterated to the last living being an interstellar civilization probably should be a good sign of that.

MZ0125

Post by MZ0125 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:42 pm

Erinys wrote:Proteans are unbelievably dangerous and can be extremely intelligent. They have been around for literally billions of years and have already destroyed one major interstellar civilization which was far more advanced than any of the currently extant empires.

--Arinn

Let me guess, that is the race that launched the Gardener?

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:45 am

Yes. :) They are generally called "the Gardeners" as a species. They have no other surviving name.

--Arinn
“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime.” --Hemingway

MZ0125

Post by MZ0125 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:11 pm

I can't even imagine how advanced they would be if they are capable of very effectively rejuvenate the biosphere... Probably someone would look at the Sul'ka and laugh...

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 am

Older, even more technologically advanced, doesn't necessarily mean more powerful. They were exterminated by something that the Bloodweaver dissects as a hobby.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Erinys
Kerberos Goddess of Lore

Post by Erinys » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Not sure how the Gardeners would see him, but the Bloodweaver is quite a fan of the Gardeners and their work.

--Arinn

Kaan'Ish

Post by Kaan'Ish » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Erinys wrote:Not sure how the Gardeners would see him, but the Bloodweaver is quite a fan of the Gardeners and their work.

--Arinn

So much of a fan that he takes it out to play whenever he possibly can :( ...

Does all the talk of the gardeners and their work imply a common origin for life in Sword of the Stars, ala panspermia? Or at least alien intervention in developing biospheres. Has Erich von Daniken been proved right once humanity reaches the stars??

Return to “Son of The Lore”