Mothman

Questions and Answers About the SotSverse as Discovered in The Pit

Moderator: Erinys

Pandesmos

Mothman

Post by Pandesmos » Thu May 15, 2014 3:23 am

First off, kudos to whoever is up on their cryptozoology/UFO lore. I myself have more often stayed up late to listen to Coast to Coast AM.

That being said, what's up with the Mothman lore when it comes to in-game lore? As we all know, it comes out of the agent when he's killed but what's the story behind it in the SotS universe? Is it an extradimensional being? Does it serve the Suul'ka? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mecron
Kerberos

Re: Mothman

Post by Mecron » Thu May 15, 2014 3:26 am

oh bless you for noticing!!! you have made our monster artist so happy! He has been bitter a long long time than no one recognized the mothman! :twisted:

Pandesmos

Post by Pandesmos » Thu May 15, 2014 3:31 am

Mecron wrote:oh bless you for noticing!!! you have made our monster artist so happy! He has been bitter a long long time than no one recognized the mothman! :twisted:

I've known about Mothman and John Keel's book long before that movie they released but I used to be a "UFO Buff". The agent is no doubt inspired from MIBs (again, also not the movie) and I also recognized the Hopkinsville goblin which I read about when I was a kid. I will have to admit the Flatwoods monster I had to look up but I recall hearing about that before.

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Thu May 15, 2014 4:31 am

Pandesmos wrote:First off, kudos to whoever is up on their cryptozoology/UFO lore. I myself have more often stayed up late to listen to Coast to Coast AM.

High five, cryptid pride!

That being said, what's up with the Mothman lore when it comes to in-game lore? As we all know, it comes out of the agent when he's killed but what's the story behind it in the SotS universe? Is it an extradimensional being? Does it serve the Suul'ka? Inquiring minds want to know.

The lore on the Mothman is deliberately nebulous at the moment - we like wondering about stuff too. But I can field this specific question (subject to change if we ever wanna)-

"Does it serve the Suul'ka?" - No. It's not especially friendly to their enemies either, however.

I also want to point out that it doesn't actually come out of the Unknown Agent when the agent's health is depleted, but simply abandons that form. You'll notice that when the Mothman itself is defeated, it briefly reforms into the agent and then vanishes, rather than ever actually dying.
Last edited by Golden Yak on Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nerts to this space-crap!

Pandesmos

Post by Pandesmos » Fri May 16, 2014 4:40 am

I think Mothman might be my favorite enemy in the Pit. You ever thought about adding Zeta Reticulans/Greys to the SotS lore? Oh, the fun you could have with that....

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Sat May 17, 2014 12:43 am

Pandesmos wrote:I think Mothman might be my favorite enemy in the Pit. You ever thought about adding Zeta Reticulans/Greys to the SotS lore? Oh, the fun you could have with that....

As a matter of fact we did discuss greys. As early as SOTS2, actually. Nothing solid materialized from it - not yet, anyway.

The hopkinites are our current creepy, vaguely humanoid, inscrutable little grey alien race (they happen to be my favorite cryptid-based Pit creature).

The Apprentice

Post by The Apprentice » Sat May 17, 2014 1:19 am

I actually thought the Hopkinites were the Greys of the SotS-verse... Interesting.
Feel free to call me App- it's shorter.

Golden Yak

Post by Golden Yak » Sat May 17, 2014 1:43 am

The hopkinites are an homage to the Hopkinsville goblin. We might introduce a race that is a more direct homage to the greys if we can think of some interesting way to differentiate them from the hopkinites.

Return to “Son of The Lore”